Assistant manager?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 20:46 Give Owers 10 games, Unfair on giving him criticism and wanting him out already after one loss. Look at the bigger picture. Saturday is a big game. Owers said himself last night the players have said this is a wake up call. Lets see what Happens
He's had an entire **** season and in that season he became the first manager in the history of football to oversee the relegation of a former Football League club into the Conference South. I hardly think another 6 matches from here is going to be transformational.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Wasn't it 2016 - 2017 season that nicho was doing the lot. Taking the warm ups, driving the minibus, washing the kit, etc etc, now we have staff who were probably all in the pre season team photo and that's wrong as well, don't have a copy with names but I'm sure somewhere these bods are named.
Most people on here said that the team would need time to gel, we are 7th with 7 points from a possible 12. One defeat and it's the end of the world.
I spoke to GO at the season ticket night and he is in no two minds that failure is not an option. The owner has injected more cash than at any time since the Thea money dried up. Personally I think he's too nice but give him 10 games and let's see where we are then.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

It's Shaun Taylor. Whatever - come on you Gulls !!

https://www.torquayunited.com/new-struc ... -of-youth/
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Im sorry to be pessimistic but this sounds like "nobody wanted it" so Taylor has the gig

Hedges didnt seem to be looking at players so he may as well be given something to do.............
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Swatcat wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 15:13 It's Shaun Taylor. Whatever - come on you Gulls !!

https://www.torquayunited.com/new-struc ... -of-youth/
"Manager Gary Owers will oversee all football matters at the club" So what is Harrop's role? Is Shaun Taylor going to be more of a head coach? This could be really good news, Owers is never going to get the sack or resign but this could be the next best thing?

*Edit: We saw under Ling what a good coach Taylor is...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

This is interesting as Gary Owers was employed as Head Coach, so he has now been promoted to Manager for his success or failure depending on which side of the fence you sit on. As Owers will oversee all football matters one must conclude that Harrop has been dismissed from his role as General Manager, or maybe he has also been promoted to Director Of Football.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Lets all be honest this club has been on a downward track for the last few years and the mess that Nicholson left needed clearing out it's now happened and we are leveling out Rome was not built in a day.

Shaun Taylor has been Garry's assistant before so it was not a surprise if Shaun has been appointed. Shaun was a top player and was a good assistant to Martyn Ling. Last season is history as it was difficult to get the players needed and we had a swarm of players coming and going and it's common knowledge that there was a few bad apples in the squad. It seems now the squad are close together and it's time to support them properly with respect.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

MellowYellow wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 17:36 This is interesting as Gary Owers was employed as Head Coach, so he has now been promoted to Manager for his success or failure depending on which side of the fence you sit on. As Owers will oversee all football matters one must conclude that Harrop has been dismissed from his role as General Manager, or maybe he has also been promoted to Director Of Football.
It just seems from my reading of the report that Gary is club manager, Shaun is his assistant. Dave hedges now has Shaun's previous role as well as remaining recruitment manager. Harrop one presumes is still general manager.
Good luck Shaun, he got some stick when made to cover as manager when ling was on the sick, but his best role is training and development.
Lucy
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I don’t have an issue with Taylor being the assistant manager (although I would if he was made caretaker again).

As for Owers; I’ve not been a fan of his at all and last season would gladly have packed his bags myself if it meant he left. He hasn’t got a very good record as a manager before and after joining Torquay.

However, I think the majority of his recruitment, this season, has been fairly solid. The start isn’t brilliant but it could have been worse and I think the club could do without the upheaval of sacking and looking for a new manager, so I’m hopeful that he can slowly build on this solid but unspectacular start and get us moving in the right direction.

Furthermore, the incident at Slough, I think is one that annoyed even the most ardent of anti-Owers supporters because you simply don’t try and humiliate people like that. The image of Owers looking naturally angry and hurt wasn’t nice to see so I hope the atmosphere is less toxic in Saturday when we ought to win.

If after 10 or so games we are falling away from the play-offs then I hope he goes but in the meantime, as supporters, our energies are probably better served encouraging the team and the manager and stopping the witch hunt and - in some cases - bullying of certain players.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Am I getting it wrong, or Do I remember that when Shawn Taylor stood in for Ling, he was utterly abysmal. Beats me why he is at Plainmoor at all and now Assistant Manager. Oh Dear.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Hector great post ! You comment, '' our energies are probably better served encouraging the team and the manager and stopping the witch hunt and - in some cases - bullying of certain players.''
I agree with that 100%
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

God, if some of these players were actually bullied they'd die of shock. A few random comments from spectators or on a forum is NOT bullying.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

chestertorkyman wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 01:08 Am I getting it wrong, or Do I remember that when Shawn Taylor stood in for Ling, he was utterly abysmal. Beats me why he is at Plainmoor at all and now Assistant Manager. Oh Dear.
Some people are good assistants but have not got it when it comes to take full responsibility.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Hector’s post is sensible and balanced, unlike many on here. It is despicable to insult and humiliate your own players and managers. The hostility towards Owers has become unrelenting, it isn’t his fault that we were relegated from the Football League (for that look to certain past Board members, whose decision making at Plainmoor was shocking). We have some decent players, which at least does credit to the Manager for signing them. We haven’t been convincing so far, in fact piss poor at times, but we have won both Home games and drawn two of three away, let’s not throw our toys out of the pram yet.

The issue of Jamie Reid causes me most concern. He is a local lad, trying his best but struggling. I haven’t seen such hostility and downright bullying of a player for many years. If he was lazy or unfit I’d understand it more, but he isn’t, he’s just struggling to perform. I had a good friend some years ago who started his career with Arsenal, and ended up at Exeter eventually (also a successful Manager until recently). He moved to Oxford United in the 80s and had a dreadful time with the fans. He told me that his dad went to one game and ended up losing his rag with people behind him at the game, which didn’t do him any good as he wasn’t a well man. How would you like to be on a football pitch with your OWN FANS on your back from the off, it is disgusting and those who do this should take a close hard look at themselves. Bully the ref by all means, give the opposition a hard time, but don’t fully your own f’ing players.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 09:30 God, if some of these players were actually bullied they'd die of shock. A few random comments from spectators or on a forum is NOT bullying.
That makes it all ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.