Oxford City v Torquay United 14/08/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 01:24 Also what bugs me is we signed Euasman or however you say it, he’s a CB. Why do we not give him a chance and keep Asa in mid.
Essuman is currently injured, but will hopefully be back soon. He started first two games and did well.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 23:56 If we don’t bring in another striker which we won’t, Keating has to start with Wright. Williams needs to be dropped. Reid needs to be left at home.

Any news on Bass?
:goodpost:
From the performance last night for me showed that wright is a big target forward and with a target forward you need someone with pace and that what keetings has I think they need to try that for a a few games
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

We barely created anything. So so frustrating to watch, felt like tearing my hair out. Surely our players are capable of beating that lot? Absolutely pointless hitting long, we don't have a target man.

I wouldn't scapegoat Reid. He wasn't great when he came on, but who did play well last night? I'd make a case for the goalkeeper!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I don't get to many games at all these days (thankfully) but I was able to make the 20minute journey to a ground I used to play home fixtures on to watch the team I have supported since 1994 now play their recent league fixture on. That alone is embarrassing beyond belief or comprehension.

Onto the game, we were pathetic. I watch Didcot Town now in the southern league and every week win lose or draw I see a team of lads that give everything they have for one and other. They challenge for everything they chase lost causes and they defend as a team, everything Torquay don't do. Didcot would beat this Torquay side and I genuinely mean that.

i have never seen a worse bunch of professional footballers in my lifetime which begs the question 1 year on almost to the day in fact it may be the day that Nicholson was sacked, how is this better? We lost more games, got relegated and now have a worse side now than the one that played for Nicholson in just about every position at aldershot.

It saddened me more than anything watching that 1st half of no effort, no courage, pile of sh*t as Oxford City passed the ball around us and where Joe Oastler or former powderpuff full back dominated the weakest front 2 I've ever seen at any level comfortably at the back. Oxford deserved to be 2 or 3 ahead at half time forget the goal which was offside they deserved it, our players deserved a roasting from the 350+ torquay fans that basically made up the entire crowd apart from a smattering of home support and the good value bunch they had behind the goal. They didn't get it, apathy contnuing to reign as they slumped off to silence.

Second half the atrocious Banton and Keating (who was slightly less bad than Williams) were off the two lads who came on did slightly better and yes we hit the woodwork with 2 speculative shots both from 20+ yards but still we didn't force their defence into any last ditch defending nor force their keeper into a save of any note in 94minutes. Of that lot on disaply the goalkeeper is decent enough, the big centre back Niate? is adequate for the level and Davis has a bit about him, the others are a complete joke, an embarrassment to the profession and can all do one as far as i'm concerned.

i was saddened, appalled and shocked at the lack of quality we have at the lack of fight we have both on and off the pitch and then dismayed at the end as they sloped off that no one gave them the response they to a man deserved and that was a giant f*ck off tablet. I've said it before here there is a culture and an acceptance of failure that runs through TUFC from the top to the bottom (that being the supporters) where absolutely everything has become acceptable. There is no fear of failure because failure doesn't exist at Torquay, it's fine to let 7 in at home, it's fine to get relegated from the conference and it's fine to lose at Oxford City. Because that's the response they got, our supporters were more interested in a handshake from our waste of space forward than telling them all exactly what that was, a f*cking disgrace to the badge, the name of the football club it's history and traditions.

The players don't deserve 350+ people making this amount of effort for them, they are a sorry sack of sh*t that I wouldn't care if I never saw them play again. But you guys have to help yourselves and stand up to this and demand change if you don't then this will be the norm.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Owers and every single player should be given a copy of the royalgull posting above.
How many times during the rest of the season will postings of this nature appear?
Champions or promotion through the play offs seem a long way off even after 4 games.
Full time professionals what a joke!!
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

I went to the game and a remarkable turnout from the 'Yellow Army' was a joy to see, however.... the first half was very poor and inexplicable. Yes, the goal was offside, but TQ were outplayed and outfought. The second half was much improved and TQ dominated, and again....yes, we hit the bar and the post and dominated possession, but without more creativity in midfield and a target man, it is going to be a hard slog. Slough won't be easy and the squad need to pull together and have a long hard look at themselves, otherwise it will be another difficult encounter. Three goals in four games says it all. COYG, please!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Nothing surprises me anymore with Gary Owers. His tactics, his man management and his philosophy of his teams. Absolutely shocking.
I feel for Keating, he wound that lad up last week, he scores 2 goals on sat and then he does that to him last night. Owers selects Williams as his captain! Are you kidding me. Yes, he turns up fit but captain material, never. Tactically Owers has just not got it. Its plain to see, we are not creating chances, the forwards have no support or the delivery is poor. The warning signs were there last season, nothing has changed.
I certainly wasnt getting carried away with his recruitment over the summer like some on here.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

royalgull wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 10:44 I don't get to many games at all these days (thankfully) but I was able to make the 20minute journey to a ground I used to play home fixtures on to watch the team I have supported since 1994 now play their recent league fixture on. .............................
That is about the best posting on here for years. spot on. AND why I just couldn't be arsed yesterday, I was in Reading so wasn't far for me, but I thought, its going to be a waste of time because failure, incompetence and apathy sums up TUFC entirely.
TUST MEMBER
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

royalgull wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 10:44 I don't get to many games at all these days (thankfully) but I was able to make the 20minute journey to a ground I used to play home fixtures on to watch the team I have supported since 1994 now play their recent league fixture on. .............................
Can't disagree with any of that to be honest.

I was going to call you to see if you were going but thought you would just laugh down the phone so it was a surprise to see that you'd gone and I failed to spot you.

I spent the first half talking to Paul Bastard while we watched, he's the type I feel for as he commits to this awful side week in week out. I actually nearly left early last night, the last time I did that was at home to Exeter in the play-offs all those years ago. Little did I know it was going to get worse year on year to the point where a post like yours is absolutely on the money. I couldn't wait to get away and drive the 65 miles home, that journey was more entertaining.

I'll have to catch up with you at a Didcot game soon. Great posting mate!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Sorry Dave I did look for you as well but I was behind the goals and presumed you would be to, I didn't see you so likewise presumed you hadn't gone.

I feel for our supporters, They are so loyal (too loyal) I find it so hard to criticise them it's not our fault this team is so bad in the main but our lack of collective stance to say this is just not good enough is alarming. You wouldn't get this anywhere else, look at what happens elsewhere when clubs are struggling below an acceptable level, the fans protest they make their voices heard they demand change be it at boardroom, sideline or on the pitch. There is nothing here, no protest against an owner who is actively trying to kill the club, no protest against statistically the worst manager in the club's history managing by far the worst team in this clubs history at our lowest level. What is it going to take??

Another 250-300 will go to Slough on Saturday and will see Torquay lose again. slough unlike Oxford City are a club on the up they've just got promoted from the Southern Prem which was a minefield of a division last year where the top 5 all got 90+ points. They will be streets ahead of Oxford city who are just trying to survive this year, and Oxford City ran rings round us for 45minutes.

Everytime I've gone in the last few years which hasn't been often admittedly I've thought how's it got to this? How can it get any worse? And each occasion it's worse, the team is worse, remember when we criticised the likes of Lee Mansell or Chris Robertson? Both would be like Lothar Mattheus and Paolo Maldini compared to this lot now.

Feel free to come up anytime let me know in advance and can be my guest for the day!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I didn't venture too far from the food and drink last night. Behind the home goal for the first half and then near the halfway line for the second. It was truly dreadful and I definitely won't put myself out to go to Slough.

I was looking for just a hint of something special last night................. that didn't materialise and as we often say "It's the hope that kills you".

I know teams take time to gel but that is no different for any team at the start of the season. Oxford looked fitter, sharper, more organised and definitely more up for the fight to win the points. Williams swearing at other players because of the poor service, Niate practically sticking his nut on the top of the refs head, endless balls lumped upfield and no desire to create from midfield was just painful to watch.

I have zero faith in Owers to turn this around and despite what anyone thinks I would love him to succeed, I just don't think he has what it takes and have said so since the day he was appointed.

Will definitely come up for a game, I'll catch a train as I'm sure alcohol will be involved ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

The match reports make encouraging reading......

The most worrying thing is Owers believes that (the 2nd half) is the best we have played all season!

The bloke spent all of last year moaning that he could not get a decent striker in as you only really gets that chance in the summer and then re-signs 3 of the 4 that could not score enough goals to keep us up last season. Genius!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

First half terrible, second half was marginally better but we had no punch up top, game over. Pretty much sums it up I reckon!

On a side note, did anyone else see that jet circling really slowly last night?
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Highlights are up and l think Hall is playing Sinclair onside for their goal

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/mat ... /1-3614780
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

We were dog shite in the second half, only marginally better than the first. Honestly don't know what Owers is smoking.