Facing Reality

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Facing Reality

Post by davethegull2 »

4 games in and we are no further on from the debacle of last season. Our biggest problems were scoring goals, passion, commitment and tactics. Nothing has changed even tho we find ourselves in the 6th tier. The manager is repeating his failures and seems to have learned nothing. He's brought in some good players but can't get them to gel. How long do we allow this to continue? We need a manger who knows how to motivate, organise, create urgency and passion in our play. Gary Owers is not that manager.

It's only 4 games......right? Wrong, he's had a season to get things right and failed. Get rid of him before the whole atmosphere turns toxic. If he loses again on Saturday then Plainmoor will turn against him next home game. He's had enough time, deliver or go.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Is anyone surprised? Really? I'm glad that I have given up watching the drivel that Owers' teams serve up. I seriously hoped that my decision to stop going after last season's nightmare would be proven wrong but it seems not...
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Gary Dour was always going to be a desperate appointment. Time to move on.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

As part of the Osbourne masterplan he won't be got rid of.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

i'm afraid we are the only full time team in this league and when we come up against the better teams we will get turned over, the likes of woking, billericy etc.

I said it pre season what a mistake it was not going for brunt and proves me right getting a brace last night, exactly the target man we need.

Owers is not the answer however i'm afraid the club is run terribly and has the wrong people in charge so nothing will change or if it does will change for the worse.
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Agree with all of the above he has to go.

I don’t watch as regular as I would like but from what I have seen last season and on Saturday, he hasn’t got a clue. We have some good players but they do not respect him. I don’t think they are playing for him. A change is needed before we are facing a mid table finish.

Absolutely amazing support so far, those attendances home and away need to be rewarded with more effort and a better manager. Otherwise gates are going to plummet.

#owersout
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

It was very interesting attending the East Thurrock match on Saturday with a friend from Lewes in Sussex who supports his local team. Not only did he observe that Lewes play to a higher standard than Torquay did on the day, but also that Torquay's players clearly had no motivation to play for their manager right from the start. I should add that the friend had never been to Plainmoor in his life or ever seen Torquay United play before. I really can't help thinking that there are unpleasant echoes of the beginning of last season, when a key player was injured before the season started (substitute Alex Bass for Liam Davis) and a ridiculously long time taken to replace a key member of staff (substitute Martin Kuhl for Kevin Nicholson). Add to that an ongoing failure to address the goalscoring issue. I really do hope that it's not going to be The Season Of Discontent #5, but the portents aren't good. East Thurrock were all over Torquay in the first half on Saturday and this was the visiting team many people on here have said were really poor. It sounds like Torquay were abysmal last night - things need to change very quickly.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

It's too early to be talking down the Manager IMO. Owers will know the team's not right yet so let's see what he can do about it.
Most of you Guys seem reasonably happy with the squad Owers has found (bar a striker).
Saturday is an important game - a bad result will see support ebb away with the confidence.

Also - who the heck will we get IF Owers goes. The new man would have to work with Owers squad - not a great formula.
Neil Warnock is busy I understand. Patience and get behind 'em if you can ?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Swatcat wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 12:15 It's too early to be talking down the Manager IMO. Owers will know the team's not right yet so let's see what he can do about it.
Most of you Guys seem reasonably happy with the squad Owers has found (bar a striker).
Saturday is an important game - a bad result will see support ebb away with the confidence.

Also - who the heck will we get IF Owers goes. The new man would have to work with Owers squad - not a great formula.
Neil Warnock is busy I understand. Patience and get behind 'em if you can ?
Nothing against you personally but this is the kind of post I find really irritating.

It isn't too early, he's had almost a year to build himself a squad, it should have just needed tinkering with by now but the problem is our formation, players selected within that formation and the tactics. I'm not sure who else we can blame but Owers.

Who would we get to replace him? How about any of the decent hard working managers that seem to outwit him with regularity?
Last night was an important game. So far we've struggled to draw with Mighty Chelmsford, beaten a Bath side whose Manager thought they played us off the park, agreed with by a lot I've spoken to, we beat East Thurrock but it was far from convincing and now we've lost away to Oxford City with one of the worst and most gutless performances I've ever seen.

Lastly, can anyone say that we are not behind the team? The two home gates were remarkable after our recent woes and the away support has carried on where it left off last season.

We're all doing out bit, Owers is not. That is a fact.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 13:05 Nothing against you personally but this is the kind of post I find really irritating.

It isn't too early, he's had almost a year to build himself a squad, it should have just needed tinkering with by now but the problem is our formation, players selected within that formation and the tactics. I'm not sure who else we can blame but Owers.

Who would we get to replace him? How about any of the decent hard working managers that seem to outwit him with regularity?
Last night was an important game. So far we've struggled to draw with Mighty Chelmsford, beaten a Bath side whose Manager thought they played us off the park, agreed with by a lot I've spoken to, we beat East Thurrock but it was far from convincing and now we've lost away to Oxford City with one of the worst and most gutless performances I've ever seen.

Lastly, can anyone say that we are not behind the team? The two home gates were remarkable after our recent woes and the away support has carried on where it left off last season.

We're all doing out bit, Owers is not. That is a fact.

Your right Southampton Gull the support has been amazing and yes the squad assembled does seem to be half decent and with any manager who knows what he is doing will be able to get them motivated and playing as a team.

The body language indicates the players don’t want him as manager.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

We don’t want him as manager either !!

Yet another inept and toothless performance last night. I will go to Slough on Saturday, and hope for a decent effort. Not holding my breath to be honest. As has already been said we have been outplayed in every game so far for long spells.

Owers Out.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Not many years ago Torquay played Plymouth and Exeter on a regular basis.
The gulf that now exists between Torquay and its neighbours was emphasised from last nights cup results.
Plymouth beat Championship Bristol City away
Exeter beat Ipswich
Torquay lost to part-timers Oxford City two leagues below Exeter.
Enough said
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Watching Torquay at the moment is like having teeth pulled without any pain relief, it needs to be done but your glad when its over!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Sesimbra wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 15:30 Not many years ago Torquay played Plymouth and Exeter on a regular basis.
The gulf that now exists between Torquay and its neighbours was emphasised from last nights cup results.
Plymouth beat Championship Bristol City away
Exeter beat Ipswich
Torquay lost to part-timers Oxford City two leagues below Exeter.
Enough said
:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

the reality is 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 does not work

Think the second half yesterday showed that

4-4-2 / 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 - just change it.