Torquay United v East Thurrock United 11/08/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Taelee73 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 20:08 Enjoyed the game today, well about 15 minutes straight after halftime. 500 down on tue, shows what happens if you don't steamroller the opponent in your first game.
A few things,
32 away fans, for those who wanted to know, according to a steward as I walked past the away end.
Fairly humorous moment, when the Thurlock goalie claps empty away end at the start !
Most genuine moment, when waiting to take a corner, the East Thurrock player playing one twos with a ballboy.
Best strike of the match, Dave with the crossbar challenge, £50, well done that man.
Ear opening 90 minutes, having Josh Gowling and a player who may be fit for tue ?, sat directly behind me, heard every word said. And there were a lot.
Our number 8, great header of the ball, but awful passer, 90% of his passes went to opponents. nobody pass to him, ever.
Well done Ruairi Keating, at least shows it means something to him.
An ok performance, but 7 points is 7 points, and no goals conceded.
Lee
Their player doing one twos with the ball boys was Konchesky. Then a few moments after a handbags event with Keating he patted him on the shoulder as they passed each other. The stick that he got from the pop side was a bit OTT
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I posted in the previous match against Bath that McDonald needs to release the ball quicker to the player that is available but first half it was a mirror image of last Tuesdays game. It changed second half and we had more control.
We are not a good side but have several good players who in time could gel into a better side. Keating should benefit from his two goals with the confidence that goes with them. The defense is looking good and hope the injury to our centre half is not serious.
:keepie:
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

Very pleased with the win today. We played some good football at times but we were very poor in the final 3rd. I lost count of the number of times we had 3 v 3 or a man spare and we either over hit the final pass or fanny'd around too long on the ball. Still, im not worried as it's early days and I'm sure when we gel a bit more as a team , those opportunities will be better utilised. We're certainly getting in good positions which is encouraging.

Defensively we look really solid and I think all 3 centre backs are decent. Bit lucky to keep a clean sheet today as East Thurrock had their moments, but Sokolik and Cameron seem comfortable on the ball and are happy to look up and play a forward pass. Hope Sokolik isn't injured and it's just a short term knock.

All in all, the ingredients are there for a decent campaign. Fair play to Owers for putting a potentially good side together.
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

Oh and a brief comment on the officials, particularly the ref - I thought they were all excellent :clap:
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Who was the 4th official? It looked like the guy who usually walks around the pitch with the mascots. Think all he did was hold up the injury time board, may be wrong though.
Ref was great linesman on the pop side was a bit slow. There was also an incident which the linesman flagged for but ref missed it. But on the whole better than the NL referees.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

There are no 4th officials at this level. You are right about the guy who walks around with Gilbert, it's former local ref Mike Griffiths, he performed the same duties on Tuesday.
Last edited by Plainmoor78 on 11 Aug 2018, 23:25, edited 2 times in total.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Taelee73 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 20:08 Enjoyed the game today, well about 15 minutes straight after halftime. 500 down on tue, shows what happens if you don't steamroller the opponent in your first game.
A few things,
32 away fans, for those who wanted to know, according to a steward as I walked past the away end.
Fairly humorous moment, when the Thurlock goalie claps empty away end at the start !
Most genuine moment, when waiting to take a corner, the East Thurrock player playing one twos with a ballboy.
Best strike of the match, Dave with the crossbar challenge, £50, well done that man.
Ear opening 90 minutes, having Josh Gowling and a player who may be fit for tue ?, sat directly behind me, heard every word said. And there were a lot.
Our number 8, great header of the ball, but awful passer, 90% of his passes went to opponents. nobody pass to him, ever.
Well done Ruairi Keating, at least shows it means something to him.
An ok performance, but 7 points is 7 points, and no goals conceded.
Lee
Oooooo, gossip, what was said, do tell, you cant say something like that and not follow it up with some info. :|
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 23:19 There are no 4th officials at this level. You are right about the guy who walks around with Gilbert, it's former local ref Mike Griffiths, he performed the same duties on Tuesday.
Also it looks like the ref and linos aren't miked up and no magic spray for free kicks.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

It'll be jumpers for goal posts next !! Regarding the comment about the abuse Konchesky received from the pop side, I was on that side and it was light hearted and he gave as good as he got.

I'm sure he received far more abuse from the Kop when playing for Liverpool!!!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Tarrboy1 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 23:07 Oh and a brief comment on the officials, particularly the ref - I thought they were all excellent :clap:
:goodpost: the stick the officials get when you're losing matches and they have had some criticism over the last few seasons. Suddenly 2 wins and the focus is on the win not the officials.

Well done anyway to the management and players, 7 from 9 is a great start, and 0 goals conceded. When was the last time we did that
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Regarding the near 1700 attendance today. Many predicted attendances of just over 1000 in the conf south. Just shows that the loyalty in Torquayunited fans is a credit. A few more wins and it will be higher.
Lucy
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

Decent enough peformance today, the standard in parts was poor but I thought we played some good football at times but as previously said we lacked the final ball and clinical finishing. It could of been 5/6 against a poor team.

Davies looked good on the left and Keating work hard and did well with his 2 goals. Nabi looked good but slow, maybe not fully fit yet. Regis looked like he was needing to be coached through the game when he came on.

An observation sat behind the dugout with my son, GO spent around 5 mins after each poor kick from our GK shouting at him and Macdonald shouting back. One of the coaches had to calm MacDonald down before going down the tunnel. (It did so the trick as distribution was much better in the second) GO also had heated exchanges with at least 2 of our players during the first half they all gave it back and walked off shaking their heads.
More stick than carrot!! players don’t seem to respect him.

The team will get better good start to the season but I am sure there will be stronger teams to come.

COYY
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Average game at this level, Thurrock much better than Torquay in the first half. Torquay very dopey at times, with MacDonald clearly frustrated that his defenders weren't moving up quick enough. A fair result in the end and thought Keating had a great game. Asa Hall is definitely Hargreaves Mk 2, very similar style of play and should prove to be a great asset as the season wears on.

Still waiting for a DevonLive/HE (AKA the Exeter City Fan Club) match report for this game or am I whistling in the dark? Absolutely pathetic.
DartShitehawk1969
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by DartShitehawk1969 »

Not a great performance from the boys but a great result. I agree that the officials were excellent yesterday and what about our pitch, even better than last year!.
Very pleased for Keating as he always gives 100% and was by far our biggest threat up front. We worked a few half chances but the final ball was always a problem and the players always wanted an extra touch. Hppefully the team will start to gel in the near future and become more clinical but with 7 points from a possible 9 it's been a good start. Maybe the ground out draw against Chelmsford was a good point after they won 6-0 away yesterday.
Anyway lets hope for a successful season.
COYY :scarf:
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Slightly better than Tuesday but still a long way to go.
IMO both Hall and Dickinson were poor but Nabi is getting better the more he plays and the fitter he gets.
Good job we had Keating as Williams did nothing for the third game in a row.
No problem with the goalie and back 5 as 3 clean sheets shows.