Torquay United v Bath City 7/8/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Safe to say he isn’t happy :lol:
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

[quote=IanGull01 post_id=228462 time=1533763347 user_id=23484]

Safe to say he isn’t happy :lol:
[/quote

I also enjoyed this :lol:

Wonder how often the “full time” jibe will be wheeled out. Indeed, teams will be desperate to beat us. We must make the difference count.

Long way to go. Coyy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 17:25 I don't care if we play shit, abuse the other teams tea lady or win by default because the other team failed to turn up. All I care about is that we get out of this shit league and start the club heading in an upward trajectory.

I have little faith in Owers but with the budget he has and the fact we're still full time we should be capable of getting out of this division.

The best team as far as the history books are concerned is the winners.
I don't disagree with that, although I prefer to see good football being played! Gary Owers has brought in some useful players and for once we're a big team. My worry is that Owers team formation is simply a continuation of the formation that failed last season. We could have just as easily have lost that game 1 - 0 last night. Portugull's summary is spot on - apart from Dickson, very little being created from midfield and no width. Andre Wright may make a difference when fully fit, but my view was there was a worrying lack of creativity. We'll see what Saturday brings. As zippy posts, teams will raise their game when they come to Plainmoor which must surely be the best playing surface in the league by far. What impressed me most is the new sprinkler system!

Gerry - yes, come the first game of the season, my resolve weakened! :-/
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

it's clear, even to me sitting here in Phuket, that Reid is not the answer. He's been given long enough to make a winning contribution. It's time to bench him and give someone else a chance. Keating has waited patiently and deserves a starting place on Saturday. Put Reid out of his misery. We have to start scoring goals, it was our failing last season and we should nip it in the bud this season. Wright and Keating up front with Williams playing just behind them.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

This is more like the game I witnessed.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... ll-1879164
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

tomogull wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 00:10

I don't disagree with that, although I prefer to see good football being played! Gary Owers has brought in some useful players and for once we're a big team. My worry is that Owers team formation is simply a continuation of the formation that failed last season. We could have just as easily have lost that game 1 - 0 last night. Portugull's summary is spot on - apart from Dickson, very little being created from midfield and no width. Andre Wright may make a difference when fully fit, but my view was there was a worrying lack of creativity. We'll see what Saturday brings. As zippy posts, teams will raise their game when they come to Plainmoor which must surely be the best playing surface in the league by far. What impressed me most is the new sprinkler system!
Agreed I would much rather watch good football but we won't get out of this league by playing attractive football with this group of players managed by Owers. He can get us out of this division any way he likes as far as I'm concerned, I'm not impressed with his selection, formation or his recruitment but none of that matters if he does what he should do. Put right what he cocked up last year and then he can be judged more fairly, until then just do whatever it takes..........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

kevgull wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 13:55 This is more like the game I witnessed.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... ll-1879164
I agree with Kevgull !! :-D
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Gill is on fantasy island.

To suggest that Torquay only created one chance in the game is completely nonsensical. on another night Torquay could easily have scored another three from corners in the second half. Not denying that Bath played well but there were chances at both ends.

On reviewing the highlights Bath created one decent chance in the first half and one in the second half where they hit the bar. The other main chance they had was from a clear goalkeeping mistake.

The highlights failed to show Niates header from a corner which was going in until it hit Keating on the line and a volley from a coner which just fizzed the wrong side of the post. I would actually say that Torquay had more chances in the game.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

the difference being they took their chances and we didn't, says Gill.

Err yeah. That's kinda like how football matches are won you aching simpleton!

You could have had a million shots at goal and played like Real Madrid and Torquay could have had one shot and played like Real Shit, but if the Torquay one hits the back of the net and none of the Bath ones do then it ends 1-0. Three points to the team that scored more than their opponents. Which is how football is supposed to work.
Biggygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Biggygull »

I feel the set plays were good apart from first half just need to convert also Bret and Reid are isolating them selfs due to poor ball retention. Need to keep the ball better to bring others into play.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

The two girls in the pie shop didn't seem too bothered when United scored.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Spot the anomaly!

After Match Reactions:

Liam Davis, TU Defender "We weren't at our best today...still finding our identity... still finding our feet"

Jerry Gill, Bath Manager "That's the best performance since I've been at the football club. Period."

If Bath City - at their best - can only produce a 1-0 defeat against a team, who by their own admission have not got their act together, then Bath fans will be praying their team don't have a bad performance. Period!
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

...or full stop!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dennisk wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 09:08 ...or full stop!
… or a retort to Jerry Gill.