Torquay United v Bath City 7/8/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I agree that Williams was poor in the first half, as were most of the Gulls players (their confidence looked shot to bits, thankfully returning after the first ten minutes of the second half). However, Wiliams’s performance & effort improved dramatically in the second half when Keating came on to partner him, they seem to have an understanding which is completely absent from the Williams/Reid partnership. I thought Williams played well during the last half hour, full of running and effort, a different player from the first half. Reid made a couple of decent moves, one to set up Williams early in the game and one good flick on to Davis, other than that I’m afraid he was poor and looked lost. I feel he has ability, but shows it far too rarely.

The other change, Nabi for Regis, brought the best out of Davis in the second half. Davis just couldn’t get past the Bath right wing back (an excellent player) in the first half, but in the second, with Nabi’s support, Davis improved immensely.

Overall, the two substitutions worked very well. I can’t see how Owers can keep starting with Reid though, this has failed too many times. It was lovely to win after being second best for the majority of the game. Well done to the players for not giving up, the relief on their faces when Davis scored was a joy to see.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

brucie wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 13:23 Keating was very good when he came on last night.
Not sure about VERY but he definitely linked better with Williams at times... hopefully Wright will be the answer!

Are you going next Saturday?
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 13:23 I agree that Williams was poor in the first half, as were most of the Gulls players (their confidence looked shot to bits, thankfully returning after the first ten minutes of the second half). However, Wiliams’s performance & effort improved dramatically in the second half when Keating came on to partner him, they seem to have an understanding which is completely absent from the Williams/Reid partnership. I thought Williams played well during the last half hour, full of running and effort, a different player from the first half. Reid made a couple of decent moves, one to set up Williams early in the game and one good flick on to Davis, other than that I’m afraid he was poor and looked lost. I feel he has ability, but shows it far too rarely.

The other change, Nabi for Regis, brought the best out of Davis in the second half. Davis just couldn’t get past the Bath right wing back (an excellent player) in the first half, but in the second, with Nabi’s support, Davis improved immensely.

Overall, the two substitutions worked very well. I can’t see how Owers can keep starting with Reid though, this has failed too many times. It was lovely to win after being second best for the majority of the game. Well done to the players for not giving up, the relief on their faces when Davis scored was a joy to see.
:goodpost:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

As a viewing spectacle the match left much to be desired, but a win is a win and our main objective of a healthy points tally to the start of the season is being achieved.

I like many others always go to a match hoping to see a victorious goal-feast. But aside from few club matches a season, this is never the case in any of the national football league games. Indeed a large proportion of matches are won by the odd goal in the final quarter of a match.

Take the Premier League: last season just 12% of all Premier League goals were scored in the first 15 minutes of games meaning that in a typical week of say 10 games and 30 goals only 3 of those goals scored were in the opening 15 minutes.. Whereas, 23% of all Premier League goals were scored in the last 15 minutes of matches (between the 76th minutes and the final whistle).

So come Saturday - if we beat East Thurrock by only 1-0 (i.e. 80th minute) but sit in the top end of the table with 7 points what does that make us - a winning team or a team riding their luck?

From my perspective - I will take 1-0 wins coupled with a defensive powerhouse and points on the board, this season.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Breathed a huge sigh of relief at the final whistle last night. That game could easily have gone either way. John Mills close range miss, Andy Watkins header against the bar from arguably the best move of the match... those efforts go in and its a different story. I think from last night we gained a clearer picture of our best 11, pretty much as we finished the game but probably with Essuman partnering Niate. Thought defensively we did ok, but we didnt create much in open play which is disappointing. Hall, Dickson and Nabi look decent footballers but neither has great pace and they were closed down quickly in possession and also run away from quite comfortably when they didnt have the ball. The move where the Bath guy surged from the back, through the middle leaving our mid-field treading water was a heart stopping moment, thank goodness for Wynter. I had hoped that Regis would be the powerhouse Patrick Vieira type but he looked lost. Up front we struggled, I can only remember one effort from Brett all match. Im confident we will win games and I`m confident we will be in the mix come next April but even after 2 games I`m wondering if our greatest goal threat will come from set pieces. Win ugly may become our accustomed style.
Rayzie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Liam Davis

Post by Rayzie »

At last Torquay win a game that they didn't really deserve. The team really looked lost in the first half and couldn't get to grips with the game at all. Bath played some nice football at times and like us are just short of that important main striker. Gary Owers please find us another Romain! The second half we came more into the game with the changes and in the end the growing pressure ground us out a very welcome 3 points. I dont think we are quite there yet with our best eleven players.
The goalkeeper MacDonald has certainly stepped up to the task and will keep Bass on his toes when fit again. I would like to see him full volley the ball downfield instead of this tendency to slice volley the kick. It gives the forwards more time to get to it to challenge for it. I noticed our French goalie last season used to slice it purposely but then changed to a proper up and under and it made a diffference. However a pass out with his hands will always be preferable when possible.
Looking forward to Saturdays home game with an improved performance and another 3 points. Wins breed confidence.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

SBP wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 12:08 Alot being posted regarding Reid and Williams. The one thing i would say is that neither gets much support from midfield and lets be honest some of the crosses and balls into them is poor. Many times they just get isolated and outnumbered. They need support from midfield and the wingbacks.
Let's be honest - the best team lost last night. We were given a football masterclass in the first half. We only won because several of their part-time players visibly tired in the final 20 minutes. But with our full-time squad, that could well happen regularly this season. I was impressed with their no 5 (their captain I think). Very good defender and distribution good. But three points is three points - you can't argue with that.

Picking up on SBP's points, our downfall last season was because we didn't score enough goals and I see the same pattern this season. It's not the players - it's Owers defensive mentality. We're told it's a 3 - 5 - 2 system, but it isn't. It turns into 5 - 3 - 2. Davis is a good fullback who gets down the wing, but in all honesty, creates little. Wynter is similar. Good defender - got in some great tackles last night, but didn't look comfortable going forward. They most certainly are not Gibbs and Gurney! Why do we need three central defenders? Bath comfortably looked after our attack force with two defenders. Why not sacrifice a central defender for a winger to provide more width? Oh, I forgot - we haven't got any wingers.

I have to say I was underwhelmed last night. We may well win games 1 - 0, but it's not going to be an entertaining style for spectators. Having posted that, I expect I shall end up with egg on my face when we beat East Thurrock 6 - 0 on Saturday ..... Such is football.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

I'm sure it will click, lets remember we have two clean sheets and 4 points. we may not have set the world alight but lets give them a chance, lets hope for another decent crowd on Saturday and 3 more points.
teams like bath are going to come here and give it a good go as we will be the team everyone wants to beat and what a pitch to play on.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I hope every game is not going to be as hard as that ! If it is we will finish about 10th. Tomo is right the best team
lost, these reports would be very different had we not roused ourselves and scored in the last 20 minutes
Didnt test the keeper once in the first half and maybe once or twice second half, simply not good enough
We need a convincing win and performance on saturday, East Thurrock are playing tonight, will be travelling down friday, and be stuck in a coach for 12 hours with the air conditioning breaking down and be knackered before kick
off. Prepared to cut us some slack as we have a new team gelling but we must do better in attack on
saturday, some shots at goal would be nice
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The best team lost? - Really they have no points out of six so far so they are obviously doing something wrong!
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

I disagree that Bath were the better team and IMO we certainly wasn’t given a footballing masterclass by them in the 1st half. Yes the first half was turgid, but I noticed a number of misplaced passes and mistakes from Bath too. Neither team set the world alight.

In all honesty, I didn’t have a lot of expectations before the game, due to:

- 1st home game of the season
- Apprehension about the crowd numbers/ crowd reaction (understandable given our recent decline)
- Newish team (still needs time to gel)
- New League
- New opponents

That said, I was very pleased with the points and the clean sheet, irrespective of how well we played. How many times have we played like that over the last few seasons and have come away with the square root of fu(k all?

Let’s face it, every team that comes to Plainmoor will want to up their game. Our fitness, and FT status should be enough to negate this throughout the season though.

Special shout out to the yellow army that attended last night. I thought the atmosphere (especially in the 2nd half) was superb, probably the best it has been in a long long while.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I don't care if we play shit, abuse the other teams tea lady or win by default because the other team failed to turn up. All I care about is that we get out of this shit league and start the club heading in an upward trajectory.

I have little faith in Owers but with the budget he has and the fact we're still full time we should be capable of getting out of this division.

The best team as far as the history books are concerned is the winners.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

tomogull wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 16:09 Let's be honest - the best team lost last night. We were given a football masterclass in the first half. We only won because several of their part-time players visibly tired in the final 20 minutes. But with our full-time squad, that could well happen regularly this season. I was impressed with their no 5 (their captain I think). Very good defender and distribution good. But three points is three points - you can't argue with that.

Picking up on SBP's points, our downfall last season was because we didn't score enough goals and I see the same pattern this season. It's not the players - it's Owers defensive mentality. We're told it's a 3 - 5 - 2 system, but it isn't. It turns into 5 - 3 - 2. Davis is a good fullback who gets down the wing, but in all honesty, creates little. Wynter is similar. Good defender - got in some great tackles last night, but didn't look comfortable going forward. They most certainly are not Gibbs and Gurney! Why do we need three central defenders? Bath comfortably looked after our attack force with two defenders. Why not sacrifice a central defender for a winger to provide more width? Oh, I forgot - we haven't got any wingers.

I have to say I was underwhelmed last night. We may well win games 1 - 0, but it's not going to be an entertaining style for spectators. Having posted that, I expect I shall end up with egg on my face when we beat East Thurrock 6 - 0 on Saturday ..... Such is football.
Good to see you were there Tomo, I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away. :-D ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 17:25 I don't care if we play shit, abuse the other teams tea lady or win by default because the other team failed to turn up. All I care about is that we get out of this shit league and start the club heading in an upward trajectory.

I have little faith in Owers but with the budget he has and the fact we're still full time we should be capable of getting out of this division.

The best team as far as the history books are concerned is the winners.
Amen to that!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Last night was a bit special in as much as the fantastic atmosphere generated by the Plainmoor faithful lifted the players.We put a lot of pressure on Bath in the second half forcing numerous corners.We have to remember this is a new team and in the starting eleven only Davis, Williams and Reid survived from last season. Sokolik played as well but barely played last season after his late arrival.
This team will improve.
Major faults.
1.Very disappointing set pieces. No imagination or variety. Too predictable. How many times have I said this!!
We now have some tall players but we are not working out how to confuse the opposition. But Bath City did once.Everyone expected a long ball corner but Bath played it along the ground short then back to the corner taker who nearly scored at the far post.What are we doing in training?
How many goals did we score last season from corners or free kicks? Not many.
2.Without a target man we will not score enough goals. Could Regis who is 6' 3'' play up front?
3.Formation. I agree with tomogull we need more width. Play Banton or Bawling in a 4 3 3 and win 4.2. Goals win games and we cannot go through a season with 2 physical light weights up front. Whoever plays with Brett be it Reid Keating or Wright they will not get enough goals without more help. Look at the video Gary they are isolated.