Torquay United v Bath City 7/8/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

thanks Bristol. lets hope for some goals.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

a long season awaits. Bath decent movement, crisp passing good energy. Torquay...the opposite. But it's still nil nil and if we grab a goal then we could win. It's bloody awful though
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

the master plan is to give the part timers the ball for 70 mins, allow them to run out of steam and sneak a win in the final 20 mins
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

A great result, 1 - 0. Difficult, (Bath are a good side), but deserved over 90 minutes. Over 2000 in attendance too. Its a start!
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Although performances against Chelmsford and Bath have been questionable, they're both expected to be up there or thereabouts come the end of the season. I think judgement should be reserved until after the next few games...
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

I see that Elliot Romain scored for Dagenham tonight. If only we could have him back!
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

From the commentary, I thought we sounded a little like Saturday where I thought we were pretty solid, quite physical with some big units but created very little. Do wonder about Williams and Reid but will give all the benefit of the doubt in getting to know each other.

Incidentally, thought the commentary was pretty good with nigh on 300 listening in the 2nd half.
TUST #324
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

2100 crowd, lots of noise and snuck a win with a well worked goal. Thought we looked strong at the back and stronger in attack as the 2nd half wore on. Like the look of the goalie, quick off his line and played like a sweeper at times. Onwards and upwards.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A win is a win but the players need the crowd to stay with them through the bad periods in the game. MacDonald our keeper is learning his trade and did not release the ball early enough to the fullbacks, reason being he was not confident enough to do it this and made kicked long nearly every time which gave the ball away as Reid could not control the ball and gave it away every time he had it.
If we had rolled the ball out from the back I think the players would have gained confidence which only came after we scored.
Owers earned his crust by making two substitutions at half time and after taking a pounding for ten minutes we gradually got back into the game. Nabi and Keating made a difference as Williams was well marshaled by the Bath centre half. Davies got the winner and the crowd helped the team see the game through great atmosphere.
Not a good performance but I would take 1-0 every game if we won. (Bath City are a good side)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Some positives and negatives from tonight. The team look very solid at the back, conceded very few chances tonight, against a decent looking Bath side. First half, no passing, no movement, no togetherness in the team, disappointed at the break, thankfully Ower's took action at half time, by bringing Narbi and Keating.

Looked a lot better in the second half, back to trying to pass and move the ball around, after the first half where no one seemed to want to take nay responsibility to pass it, but it wasn't until the 65 minute mark we saw TUFC start to dominate the game, maybe our full time status played a part, maybe things started to click amongst the team who knows.

Both sides struck the woodwork, and TUFC having a header cleared off the line, over the balance play through the whole 90 minutes Bath deserved a point from the game, and will feel a little hard done by, an ugly win that's for sure.

We all know it takes 10-15 games or so for things to settle down, on tonight's evidence we're not going to concede many gaols this term, but sadly not score many either, but with Wright to come once fit, maybe that will change.

3 points are 3 points no matter how you get them, on to Saturday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

The trip down was worth it for the 2000+ Torquay fans chanting at the end of the game!

Tonight was a victory that had to be ground out. The team showed greater commitment and resolve in the 2nd half. Changes needed to be made and the right players made way at half time, both Reid and Regis were ineffective.

Here’s my assessment of the players

MacDonald (GK) - 7, another commanding performance. Has stepped up well. The only real mis-kick was on his wrong foot

Wynter - 6, made up for some shocking passes in the 1st half with a vital shot stopping tackle. Developed confidence as the game went on.

Davis - 7, took his goal really well. His pace is a threat. Final ball was lacking today, it’s the that goal bumps him to a 7!

Sokolik - 6, a shaky start but found his feet as the game went on. Won some important headers.

Hall - 6, the jury is still out for me on Hall. Looks as though he could play but hasn’t shown it yet. Responsible for taking one of the most awful free kicks of all time when he looked like he was going to shoot he but seemingly changed his mind at the last minute!

Williams (C) - 6, I’m a big fan of Brett but he didn’t put in the legwork that he showed in pre-season. Improved slightly alongside Keating who seems to have a better off the ball awareness than Reid.

Niate - 6.5, a couple of nervous passes in the first half could have caused problems. He kept it tight in the centre. He’s big and athletic, I just wish someone would make him angry because he looks like a jolly giant, but with a scowl he could intimidate the heck out of most players in this league!

Dickson - 7.5, deserved man of the match. Composed on the ball, some vital challenges and his work rate is solid.

Cameron - 7, a very good signing. Shows leadership qualities at the back and rallied the team well. Strong in the air and looked more confident on the ball than the other centre backs

Reid - 5, ineffective. Struggled on the ball. Plays too far away from Williams to create any form any of partnership.

Regis - 5, also ineffective. Simple passes went astray, was the weak link in the midfield but too early to judge. Looks a physical player.

SUBS:
Keating - 6, massive uplift in work rate. Goes for every ball, looks hungry. Didn’t get the opportunity to shine in front of goal.

Nabi - 7, should have started. Looks a lot more sharp than in pre-season, comfortable on the ball and a good connection with Dickson.

The defence coped well and looked strong, however the back 3 look more organised with Eusseman in the side. I have said before that Reid does not look the part and on the basis of tonight’s performance I still believe we will struggle to score goals if he retains his place in the side.

Hope to see Wright making his debut in the near future and perhaps it’s also time for Keating to get a proper chance?

To summarise, a well ground out victory. A definite morale boost for the side, especially with the send off at the end!

We can build on this! COYY
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

The first half was about as bad as it gets. We just couldn't get to grips with Bath's passing and movement. Their no7 is a good player and was certainly making them tick.
We gave away silly fouls, we couldn't retain the ball, it was just aimless and dysfunctional throughout.
2nd half and two immediate changes. Nabir and Keating on, Regis and Reid off. By this time the crowd was getting restless and starting to voice their frustrations. Then 65 min and we started to push forward and Dickson really got into the game. We had some good possession and a few corners. Both wing backs were getting further forward and then the goal. Davis took his chance well. The crowd were lifted which gave the players an extra spring in their step. Bath still had a couple of descent chances however we just about did enough to deserve the victory.
There are several players who really need to up their games.
Anyway 3 points and an ugly win. I will take that any day.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

First half looked sloppy no communication, seemed on the back foot. If that was any other team with a decent confident striker, I think that game could sh
Second half the 2 subs were key and game changing, look so much more of a threat with Keating and Williams than we have done with Reid. From the 70th minute we could really tell who was the full time club and who was the part time team. Can honestly see that being effective quit a bit.

Would like to see Keating get more of a look in.
Biggygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Biggygull »

Great atmosphere tonight really hope the team can keep giving us something to cheer about. Thought first half we was terrible in possession looked like kids football. Second half subs added the quality to play with Dickson and hall.
Feel we could still be short of a ball retention attacker.
All in all good win against bookies favourites.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A difficult game to asseess really.

Bath were neat in midfield but didn' t really have an end product. Although we didn't play well I always got the impression that we might win it.

Owers has certainly made some good signings. One thing to note is that any balls into our box are defended far better than they were in the last couple of seasons. Niate might not very cultured but he is effective

Owers certainly won the game with his substitutions at half time. Nabi looks a good player but Keating was a revelation and troubled their back four with his pace. Regis had a poor first half but he has something about him and having missed pre season can only get better. I was pleasantly surprised by Wynter - Hall and Dickson look great signings.

Over 2100 there - an excellent turnout whilst Radio Devon continue to pretend we have ceased to exist. Not even a mention that the game was on in their tea time sports roundabout and nothing on their news or 10 pm program. Shameful.

After the game I heard that Hodges and Todd have resigned at Truro - don't know whether that is right.