Chelmsford City Vs Torquay United - 4/8/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Does anyone know what contract George Burton was brought in on? I know he's cover for MacDonald whilst Bass is recovering but I can't find anything 'official' about his arrival?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

__quiet__gull wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 00:01
Regis - 6/10 - I think Regis looked great, can move, has presence and can pass, would have got a 7 but when he was subbed he looked pissed off and I can't help but think of all the stories lurking about him.

A lot of players look pissed off when they're subbed. Surely all that matters is their time on the pitch not their facial expressions.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 17:19 A lot of players look pissed off when they're subbed. Surely all that matters is their time on the pitch not their facial expressions.
Did you go to the game?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

brucie wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 11:01 Course there is BBC Radio Devon might as well be renamed BBC Radio Exeter they have such a lovefest for the Grecians. Totally over the top and completely biased, they were going apeshit over yesterdays win over Carlisle.

Their summariser Jimmy Giles must be the most annoying **** I have ever heard on the radio. Every goal they ever score is met with their commentator screaming and Giles starts laughing "hey,hey,heyhey" - does the same thing after every goal. **** moron.
Well said Brucie...I was getting hacked off with the " Hey Hey Hey " crap as well !!

:@
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Hard game to play yesterday not because of the pitch, or opposition but the sheer heat, well done to the referee and team for scheduling two water breaks.

As for the game, stifled by the weather mostly, a couple of chances for Chelmsford who certainly looked more confident, and a goal line clearance for us in the final minutes. Hopefully that is an indication of us being a 90+5 minute team this year able to push the part time teams in the final 20 minutes or so.

A note on the teams, we were dominant in height and technical skill whereas they were dominating game management through their NLS-experienced defender (number 6). The language used by their managing team was disgraceful and I was surprised to see it go unpunished considering how loud they were - apparently they have a reputation. The stadium wasn't a footballing one and that's all that should be said.

The opposition fans were mostly pleasant and took an interest in our squad and team history, I say mostly because there were some absolute throbbers - obscene language considering the number of youngsters knocking around. But then again, every club has them - including ours.

Disappointed at lack of goal mouth action but you can't fault the players from either team, the heat was a most levelling factor.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

chunkygull wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 15:57 Ahhhh, the Sherpa van shirt, wish I had got that one. I did have a yellow Sherpa van final jumper though. First home kit I bought was the following season which was similar. Didnt have a home shirt until 97-98 play off season, never had one since as most are crap.

I went for the 95/97 home, yellow and blue stripes with nice collar. Incidentallt, selling my purple away shirt (xl)

Had the white and funky blue stripes as a second choice - not sure the year on that one, any ideas?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The Billericay technical area yesterday was more vocal in 90 minutes than ours was for the whole of last season! Looks like we need to get used to life in NLS.
ccfc1010
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: bb

Post by ccfc1010 »

Fair play to everyone who travelled down. Good number. Not angry any more that you didn't change ends as you just wanted to create an atmosphere which 1st half you did, 2nd half you didn't but the performance and heat surely didn't help. No trouble all light hearted banter except 1 or 2 on both sides. Good luck for your season.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

__quiet__gull wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 19:13 Did you go to the game?
You put Regis in your top five (possibly rated him second best player) so he must of have had a good game. Why knock him down a point simply because he didn't want to come off?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

ccfc1010 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 21:28 Fair play to everyone who travelled down. Good number. Not angry any more that you didn't change ends as you just wanted to create an atmosphere which 1st half you did, 2nd half you didn't but the performance and heat surely didn't help. No trouble all light hearted banter except 1 or 2 on both sides. Good luck for your season.
Hell you still here? Haven't you got a game on Tuesday? I expect there will be a thread going on the [s]Cheltenham[/s] Chelmsford fans site whatever it may be called. Happy to help..... ;-)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

RussianGull wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 19:57
I went for the 95/97 home, yellow and blue stripes with nice collar. Incidentallt, selling my purple away shirt (xl)

Had the white and funky blue stripes as a second choice - not sure the year on that one, any ideas?
The "Sherpa van" shirt is a classic... I normally wear it when I travel down for a home game...
I've got that 95/97 one ....nice - and the purple one too.....good choice RussianGull.... :)
as for the white/blue, there are two versions - 95-97 mod dec and one from 97.
I have the one from 97, a match worn one, made by le coq sportif and sponsored by westward developments - another nice shirt... :-D
I have 20 shirts altogether!! :-o
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Oooooo, 95/97, yellow and blue stripes I believe. Not bad, not bad.

Ive got both of those white and blue striped ones, both really decent shirts. Ive only got seven shirts, I prefer a nice polo or a jumper or top as shirts date quickly, usually poor quality and most of our designs have been crap.

I did buy a small 08/09 home shirt at a car boot sale for £4 never intending to wear it (too small anyway), it went in my man cave. The only thing is the guy claimed it was signed by some of the promotion squad, I didnt look that close, after I bought it he started waffling saying it had been signed by Alex Russell, Jason Fowler and David Graham, I thought lying prick, about five years out. The signatures look like three year old had been let loose with a marker pen. Still only £4 I suppose. Crap shirt mind. :|
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Still no match report on the DevonLive/HE website - according to the podcast last week (presented by Henderson and Hughes) Dave Thomas travelled up to Chelmsford via Norfolk(?!). Maybe he got lost on the way back. The only news we have of the match are Gary Owers saying he's happy with the point (on the OS), and the various forum members who attended the match. Not good enough DevonLive/HE (which should now be re-named The Exeter City Fan Club).
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 21:38 You put Regis in your top five (possibly rated him second best player) so he must of have had a good game. Why knock him down a point simply because he didn't want to come off?
How does that answer - did you go to the game?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Well, I’m disappointed with the score line (even taking into account the mitigating factors, and having read the various available at home reports).

I don’t want to come across as billy big bollocks either, but the fact is that we are a full time team in a part time league. We should be fitter and sharper than many of those teams we come across. At this stage of the season we have a full Pre season behind us, and have been in training full time for a few weeks now. Most of the teams in this league won’t have had that.

I get that we are in this league for a reason, but we shouldn’t just allow ourselves to just accept our fate - I’d like to see fight, goals and a load of wins from our team - especially against those that look at us with our transfer and wage budget in envy.

Appreciate it was the first game of a long season, but I haven’t read anything that excites me about Saturdays game, and certainly not read anything that suggests we were unlucky to not win. I accept we won’t win every game, but let’s hope that we put in some effort across the whole pitch, and show that we are full time for a reason!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com