TUFC Fans offered free ticket...to Truro game!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

TUFC Fans offered free ticket...to Truro game!

Post by midtable »

On the official website TUFC season ticket fans can watch the Truro game versus the bookies favourites Billericay Town for free.
"We will only be opening Bristow’s Bench for this game, plus access to the Gulls Nest bar via the Family Stands"

Some say the ground sharing scheme will be a useful cost saving on scouting. However, with the manager etc away on official duty not sure how much can be learned unless we have someone filming the entire game. Then, add in the fact that we don't play Billericay until November 3rd which means the tactics might have been switched by then and injuries changed the team.

By the way if you are planning to watch the game and listen to the TUFC game on BBC Radio Devon then a reminder that Mark Grinnell editor of BBC Radio Devon has chosen not to spend the BBC's money on TUFC commentaries. If you are annoyed he is ignoring a chunk of listeners then tell him!

Email [email protected]
Twitter: Mark Grinnell @TwitGrinnell.
Phone BBC Devon's reception desk in Plymouth on 01752 260323. Be polite but ask them to pass on the message to our friend Mark that we want our commentaries back.

TUFC have said they might offer commentary for home games (1 pound a game for lisitners via the web) but until it happens we will wait and see if this latest promise comes true.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

eh, it might get a few extra people - who wouldn't have gone otherwise - into boots and laces beforehand.

Would be interested to find out if they list the attendance with number of free tickets separated (I mean..they won't..)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I am seriously thinking of going to Plainmoor tomorrow just to see what Truro and Billericay are like.
A first for me attending Plainmoor when United are NOT playing!
Except of course when I was playing! Youth Cup Finals for Coombe Pafford and Upton Vale early 1960's.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Not watched a Herald Cup Final when they were at Plainmoor?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

No Bxm Foxy.Left the Bay in 1967 and moved to Taunton in a new job.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I think I've seen a game at plainmoor without Torquay United but not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me. It would have been 1979, a testimonial match between a Jimmy Dunne XI and Bristol City. Bobby Moore and Alan Mullery were in the Jimmy Dunne XI.
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

Billericay 2-0 up at half-time .. both goals from Jake Robinson - on loan to us in 2011
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Finished 4-0, Robinson with all four. Justifying their favourites tag...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Watched the game today it was interesting as Billericay were allowed to attack Truro as they played 5 at the back 3 in midfield and 2 up front. Hodges let them come on to them and their fullbacks created both goals in the first half as they were left to run at the Truro defence.
Hodges changed the formation to 4-3-3 second half and things changed quite a bit. Truro lost but I would attack them and make sure Robinson is man marked............. as he won the game on his own.
Rayzie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Liam Davis

Post by Rayzie »

Attended the game today mainly to see two of Torquays future opponents. I thought Billericay played quite well but Truro allowed them to knock the ball around easily. When Truro got the ball they hoofed it up every time to the front two strikers but rarely did anything come from it. The best team won by a mile but Truro were poor, and it will be a long season for them unless they improve drastically!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't think that beating Truro proves an awful lot. They must be relegation certainties which is a shame as they had such a good season last year.

Robinson is a skillful player who can take a chance in front of goal.

When he was here his weakness was that he would rapidly fade out of a game and be a passenger for long periods. No real surprise that he spiralled down the leagues.

So one must conclude that he has improved a lot or is scoring goals as he is in a strong team playing against some weak opposition.
gullsdiv2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Louis Briscoe

Post by gullsdiv2 »

Went along today, going to be a long old season for Truro, Ed Palmer at the back needs to lose atleast 2 stone! I bought a 50/50 ticket before the game but there was no draw at half time, anyone know why and whether the winning number will be announced? Looked like 50 billericay, 30 Truro fans and the rest were Torquay United. Anyone know why Gerring wasn’t in the Billericay squad? Is he suspended?
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Collected my season ticket today which was not ready on Tuesday and watched the first half of Truro City v Billericay Town.
Billericay dominated the game and but for Wollacott in the Truro goal they would have been 5 up at Half Time.
Billericay played like a team and their movement off the ball was exemplary.
Jake Robinson was the star and opened the scoring with a delightful flick at the near post giving the keeper no chance.
His second was a perfect header from a pin point cross by Kissi.
Truro looked poor and if Tyler Harvey got the ball he found 4 Billericay defenders on him in a flash.
The thing that struck me most compared to United was their speed and movement.
If we are to compete with the best in this League we need to match teams like Billericay who turned defence into attack at pace in an instant.
Roll on Tuesday and Bath City.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I also moisied along to Plainmoor this afternoon. Being Cornish, I felt it was my duty. I also wanted to get some idea of what standard of football we can expect this season. Very strange watching a competitive league game with just one side of the ground open. Let's start with the home side - Truro. As Rayzie posted, they played hoof ball in the first half. Long balls up to Tyler Harvey who had no chance against Billericay's defence. I think Jared Lewington, ex-Tiverton, was supposed to be his strike partner, but he looked out of his depth. Ed Palmer has definitely had too many pasties whilst in Cornwall and the most polite description for him is 'clumsy'. Niall Thompson was playing as an attacking full back. It didn't work. He was 'skinned' time and time again. In the second half, he was pushed up on the wing where he played better. Lloyd Gardner, ex Buckland, came on the second half and looked more the part than Lewington. I forgot Ben Harding played for Truro. Gawd - is he poor, or what? Slow, never got in a challenge, didn't mark players and misplaced passes - i.e. just as he was when he played for us, but now even slower. Truro's best player by far was their 'keeper, Jojo Wollacott. He brought off some good saves and his handling and distribution were good. He had no chance with the goals and without his saves, it could easily have been double figures. I think it will be a long, hard season for Truro. Not only playing on the wrong side of the Tamar, but also missing Cody Cooke and Ben Gerring who is probably a decent defender at this level. Oh, and Jon-Paul Pitman came on as sub in the second half. I think he replaced Lewington. For what he contributed, Lee Hodges might just as well have left Lewington on .........

Billericay look a very good side and I can see why they are one of the favourites to win the league. I'm not sure if they were that good, or if they were made to look good by a poor Truro side. More or less agree with Arcadia's view except about Jake Robinson winning the game on his own. He took his four goals superbly, but there was a lot of movement and good football played by the whole team. I was impressed by their left back (don't know his name) who got forward and put in some great crosses, one of which landed on a plate for Robinson's first goal. Ricky Modeste is a niggly player. Very good at falling over and getting free kicks.

I was pleasantly surprised with the ref - Scott Jackson. I thought he ref'd the game well. Didn't miss much and only flashed his yellow card once - to Ed Palmer who fully deserved it. Handled a silly little skirmish well between Harding and a Billy player (might have been Modeste). Better than most of the refs we had at Plainmoor last season.

Gullsdiv2 - yes, Gerring was suspended. I also bought a 50/50 ticket, but don't you know how it works in Cornwall? You buy the ticket and that's it. No draw. Or they may do it drectly ........ I think in the excitement of such a big occasion, they just forgot ............
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

NOTE TO GULLSDIV2 (and anyone else who bought a 50/50 ticket at yesterday's Truro match). I emailed Truro FC to query the draw, not expecting a reply. But I did get a reply, and quite quickly. The winning ticket is 5570. If it is your ticket (assuming you've still got it stuffed in your pocket) send a photo to [email protected]

I don't know when the draw was made, nor how much the winnings are. But I told you they'd do it drectly ..........