Torquay United unveil huge plan for 10,000-seater stadium.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

I thought there was concrete American interest too???
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Sounds like GI!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Sorry to complete;

Would that be the Chinese investors who engaged two consultants who appeared to have little or no experience of the investment business and who ran their business from an accommodation address in a port-a-cabin in Truro

Sounds like GI!
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Wasn't the American connection the "advisor to thea Bristow, Kelvin? Who used to own Oxford United but now lives in Florida? I wonder how much he cost? I've put question marks because I don't want to defame anyone.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

happytorq wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 17:44 It's pathetic that the "artist rendering" used by Guy Henderson was a rip off of Grimbsy's proposed stadium with a TUFC badge shittily photoshopped onto it. It's beyond parody at this point.

https://x.com/Toryboy1960/status/102286 ... 10/photo/1
There is another possible explanation why TUFC are using the Grimsby image. The image belongs to Extreme International and is described as an artist's impression. Could it just be possible Clarke Osbourne is also using Extreme International and was supplied with the same artists impression.
Extreme International (EI) is a development company, the Grimsby Telegraph article on the development speaks of the need for enabling development to fund the project, the BBC website mentions that housing would be part of development.
From looking at the Extreme International website football and stadium building is not really their thing.
As reported on BTPIR the property development director of EI is Chris Lewis who was previously property adviser at Moirai Capital Investments which was involved with abandoned projects at Clennon Valley, Exmouth, Swindon and Milton Keynes. Clarke Osbourne has worked with Moirai at Swindon and Milton Keynes.
So to sum up; don't worry this thing will never be built and what's more there is probably no intention to build it at all.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 11:55
So to sum up; don't worry this thing will never be built and what's more there is probably no intention to build it at all.
this thing will never be built- probably
no intention to build it at all - probably

And once land grab and 'enabling' housing complete

Stadium not finanically viable - probably
Torquay United not financially viable - probably
Administation - probably
Phoenix club - probably
Restart in South West Peninsula League - probably

So, are you sure we don't have to worry?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

TUFC was once a proud football league club, relatively successful for it's size and location, next season as we know, our once great club starts life in the NLS, I believe we don't even come under the jurisdiction of the national F.A anymore. What can be done our club, that hasn't already been done ?

This not a dig a Thea, her and, her late husband gave some of our most memorable times in the club recent history, however while, off the back of some bad advice (my personal belief) she ran the club into the ground, and like any other institution on it's death bed, it becomes open the vultures.

I posted serval times during our last season in the FL whilst others around were losing their heads over all things TUFC, that it was to late, the damage was already done. It was pointed out to me at match, by another forum member, that if the much bigger, much louder, more inclined to direct action, fan base of Bristol Rovers couldn't stop this mob from screwing their club over, what were we going to do, he is right.

The reason why it's not worth getting in a state over, or worrying, as said above our club has already been screwed over, and a reason why I rarely if ever react to non footballing matters regarding our club these days.
Formerly known as forevertufc
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by jimhart33 »

Leaving aside any TUFC concerns, how will nearby residents new and old at Nightingale Park feel about the regular noise from 30k crowds at pop concerts etc. Another matter for the Council to consider. Economic benefits for Bay's economy cannot override all the Councils other roles such as environmental noise pollution.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

forevertufc wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 13:34 TUFC was once a proud football league club, relatively successful for it's size and location, next season as we know, our once great club starts life in the NLS, I believe we don't even come under the jurisdiction of the national F.A anymore. What can be done our club, that hasn't already been done ?

This not a dig a Thea, her and, her late husband gave some of our most memorable times in the club recent history, however while, off the back of some bad advice (my personal belief) she ran the club into the ground, and like any other institution on it's death bed, it becomes open the vultures.

I posted serval times during our last season in the FL whilst others around were losing their heads over all things TUFC, that it was to late, the damage was already done. It was pointed out to me at match, by another forum member, that if the much bigger, much louder, more inclined to direct action, fan base of Bristol Rovers couldn't stop this mob from screwing their club over, what were we going to do, he is right.

The reason why it's not worth getting in a state over, or worrying, as said above our club has already been screwed over, and a reason why I rarely if ever react to non footballing matters regarding our club these days.
:goodpost:

Cracking post Dave and it's taken me a hell of a long time to finally realize and accept much of what you have said in regards to the club.

Bristol Rovers have got some nut jobs amongst them and they've also got less behaviourally challenged, more rational supporters who are also passionate and actively tried to stop GI but they couldn't.

The fate of the TUFC lies in the hands and the ulterior motives of both Clarke Osborne and a select few at the council and so nothing else can be done. The damage is now done.

I've spent most of my time on here slating fans for not sticking up for themselves or the club and criticizing them for which i have been wrong to so so all along.

The true supporters will support regardless and i'm sure every single one that keep turning up to Plainmoor is aware of the circumstances the club are in currently and wish for all the world it could be back to how it was but yet they follow one club and thus do what they must do. I misjudged them.

Foolishly i believed that getting an angry mob of Torquay supporters with pitchforks simply turning up at games and protesting to get Osborne out of the club was the way forward and that those who wanted to turn up and simply sit in their seats, support the team and then go home were the ones letting the club down.

I failed to accept that most of those who did the latter were also as angry at what was happening to their club as i was at the time, if not more so in many, many cases. They might not have showed it outwardly by posting aggressively on forums and social media but the anger and frustration was real and upsetting for them. Just they had decided that their course of action was more appropriate for themselves and the benefit of TUFC.

Some fans have supported this club for decades and decades from being a kid to being the age they are now and they will continue to do so as long as there is a Torquay United to go and support.

Regardless of the actions of people like Osborne and a handful of morally bereft councillors, that's how it should be.

I am simply hoping that this season ends well and Owers proves me wrong because the opinion i hold of him at the minute is that he is also thick as thieves with the owners and that achieving a successful football team isn't his number one priority. However, it's an opinion and who knows what the season has in store?

Hopefully it will end in a place back in the NL and then the club can build from there.

The ownership and future of the club is a sideshow that is currently out of everyone's hands. No point in over reacting to something that nobody has any control over. Wish i'd have learned that 5 years ago mind! :-/
Tonyb186
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Tonyb186 »

The site around the Willows is surely in the totally wrong place?

Not only is it built on a tip (hugely expensive to rectify) but it is on the wrong side of the Penn Inn. In their wisdom the planners gave us one lane each way. It often operates towards its full capacity. How will 30000 people get through it for a timed event then return 3 or 4 hours later?

Also, I am sure the local residents around the Nightingales would far rather have the nature park they have on their doorstep rather than a huge noisy floodlit venue with insufferable traffic problems? They would fight it tooth and nail.

Plainmoor is an excellent stadium for a club much bigger than Torquay. Why is that people want to move somewhere where the new venue would be multi use and over which they will exert no control?
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

Porky wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 10:01 Wasn't the American connection the "advisor to thea Bristow, Kelvin? Who used to own Oxford United but now lives in Florida? I wonder how much he cost? I've put question marks because I don't want to defame anyone.
For the record, Kelvin Thomas was not the owner of Oxford United, he was Chairman from October 2008 to October 2012. In January 2015, he became Senior Advisor to Thea Bristow and lasted 5 months to May 2015 after negotiating her exit from the Club. In December 2015, he made a successful takeover bid for Northampton Town FC where he still remains Chairman although he has recently put the Club up for sale. It is quite possible he still has business interests in America.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

ACW2IOW wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 18:57 For the record, Kelvin Thomas was not the owner of Oxford United, he was Chairman from October 2008 to October 2012. In January 2015, he became Senior Advisor to Thea Bristow and lasted 5 months to May 2015 after negotiating her exit from the Club. In December 2015, he made a successful takeover bid for Northampton Town FC where he still remains Chairman although he has recently put the Club up for sale. It is quite possible he still has business interests in America.
While this is interesting, it's also not relevant to us, since Porky was incorrect in the first instance.

Kelvin Thomas was not the American interested in buying TUFC.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

He's not even American either.
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ACW2IOW »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 22:35 He's not even American either.
I didn't say he was!
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ACW2IOW »

Matt88 wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 20:29 While this is interesting, it's also not relevant to us, since Porky was incorrect in the first instance.

Kelvin Thomas was not the American interested in buying TUFC.

Matt.
I was simply putting the record straight - apologies if you found it uninteresting.
I am well aware that Thomas is not American.