Torquay United unveil huge plan for 10,000-seater stadium.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

MellowYellow wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 02:59 Torquay United is 100% part of the plan but when full details of the plans are released, I think you will find that the development of Plainmoor is not part of those plans. Osborne knows he is on a losing wicket in obtaining the freehold of Plainmoor so has changed strategic direction. There will be no mention of land swapping, housing development or disposal of Plainmoor, it will just be about Osbornes new targeted land (wherever that may be) for housing development in exchange for the promise of new Multi-Event Arena (wherever that may be) and of which Torquay United can be one of the many new tenants when completed ( if ever completed). Plainmoor, the current home of Torquay Utd will back to where it started -for the time being - a piece of leased land from the council - no more - no less.
I remain to be convinced, I bet Plainmoor will be involved in some way, even if it's at the back end of the project. Even if it's not we need to be incredibly wary about Osborne's plans, lets not forget that at Swindon the 'enabling' housing development has sprung up at pace but the stadium is still nowhere to be seen. What's the betting that Osborne's housing starts going up to pay for the initial stadium investment, then more housing is needed to make the project viable and this pattern repeats itself again and again until hundreds of houses have been built and there's no stadium in sight. Just like Swindon.

Likewise that hinged monstrosity must be using some semi-temporary poor quality stands, just like what is being proposed for Swindon speedway, made by a company that deals in temporary office space aka portacabins. We do not want to give up our perfectly suitable for use custom built permanent stadium for that crap.

As an aside the Talking Torquay podcast has revealed that the HE's image for the stadium is actually just a rebadged version of designs for Grimsby's new stadium, quite blatant too: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjHJf6xWwAAQcUo.jpg could be shit journalism by the HE as always, anyone know if that image was used in the presentation?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

It's pathetic that the "artist rendering" used by Guy Henderson was a rip off of Grimbsy's proposed stadium with a TUFC badge shittily photoshopped onto it. It's beyond parody at this point.

https://x.com/Toryboy1960/status/102286 ... 10/photo/1
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

SenorDingDong wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 17:03 I remain to be convinced, I bet Plainmoor will be involved in some way, even if it's at the back end of the project. Even if it's not we need to be incredibly wary about Osborne's plans, lets not forget that at Swindon the 'enabling' housing development has sprung up at pace but the stadium is still nowhere to be seen. What's the betting that Osborne's housing starts going up to pay for the initial stadium investment, then more housing is needed to make the project viable and this pattern repeats itself again and again until hundreds of houses have been built and there's no stadium in sight. Just like Swindon.
My point is not that Plainmoor will not be involved in some way - indirectly! but on the realisation that if there is (as I suspect) no mention of Plainmoor in Osbornes new development plans then there cannot be any credence in "The future of Plainmoor cannot be considered until the new stadium development is completed", Your 'Swindon' analogy appears to strengthen the case in point i.e, 'enabling' housing development takes priority with the stadium as an afterthought, if financially viable.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Get Osborne to build the stadium FIRST and get it fully operational

THEN give Osborne what he came for

I don't see how difficult this can be for the dumb ass council to work out as the best and safest option for all parties
PrestonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PrestonGull »

Was mentioned on Spotlight tonight....
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

PrestonGull wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 18:48 Was mentioned on Spotlight tonight....
Did it get longer than 5 minutes? :clap:
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

Classic on spotlight. There will be enough room to accommodate stars like Elton John. As elton is currently on his farewell tour they had better hurry up.

I brought a season ticket but I'm no Clark Osborne apologist. I want to see a thriving Torquay United and we don't need this scribbled sideshow. However for those saying that Clark Osborne should go, just remember no gi/co= no Torquay United.
I'm still strangely optimistic for the forthcoming season.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yorkieandy wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 18:44 Get Osborne to build the stadium FIRST and get it fully operational

THEN give Osborne what he came for

I don't see how difficult this can be for the dumb ass council to work out as the best and safest option for all parties
We then end up in The Kassam Situation. £3.50 for a cup of tea. £30 to get in and so on, just to pay CO a massive rent.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Matt88 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 19:19

We then end up in The Kassam Situation. £3.50 for a cup of tea. £30 to get in and so on, just to pay CO a massive rent.

Matt.
If we're lucky......
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Our MP's twitter view re: Devon Live article on the Mayor's backing for Osborne's imaginary plans for our new £40 million, not financially viable, football stadium. I am liking this guy more by the minute - not only does he have a football brain he also believes in democracy - a attribute the Mayor should take note of - by wanting the Cllrs and Ofiicers of Torbay Council, to have a say in the matter.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... ay-1831576

@kevin_j_foster

5h
5 hours ago

This article does not inspire confidence in the plans, not least the way the "artist's impressions" appear to be of another project with the TUFC logo superimposed. Also if Chairman has been engaging with Mayor, what about @Torbay_Council
cllrs & officers?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

happytorq wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 17:44 It's pathetic that the "artist rendering" used by Guy Henderson was a rip off of Grimbsy's proposed stadium with a TUFC badge shittily photoshopped onto it. It's beyond parody at this point.

https://x.com/Toryboy1960/status/102286 ... 10/photo/1
To be honest the Grimsby Town crest looks like it was also "shittily photoshopped" into an artist's rendition. Wouldn't surprise me if both clubs are just using a stock image taken from a picture library.
Tonyb186
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Tonyb186 »

Two points.

Firstly surely this is the site of the old tip? As Teignbridge council found with the broad meadow sports site in teignmouth the cost is prohibitive of cleaning up which is why they eventually had to build sports pitches on greenfield land that became available next to the new morrisons whilst the rest of the site was paid for by industrial development.

Secondly Torquay is on the wrong side of penn inn to be able to cope with 30000 fans flooding in to an event.

The expressway is only one lane either way at the penn inn and whilst it copes there is very little capacity at peak times and traffic readily builds up. 30000 additional users ? I don't see how.

Thirdly plainmoor is surely a pretty good venue. It is a dedicated football stadium and belongs to the club. Elsewhere the club would be one of a number of users and 2000 fans would rattle around in it.

Shouldn't you be trying to secure plainmoor? Isn't the nightingales a bit of a red herring?
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

You said you had two points....... You made three :)
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Porky wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 18:51However for those saying that Clark Osborne should go, just remember no gi/co= no Torquay United.
I disagree. What happened to the chinese (?) investors that were very interested but pushed aside for some unknown reason without any explanation. GI made themselves the only option for us.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Louis wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 01:08 I disagree. What happened to the chinese (?) investors that were very interested but pushed aside for some unknown reason without any explanation. GI made themselves the only option for us.
Would that be the Chinese investors who engaged two consultants who appeared to have little or no experience of the investment business and who ran their business from an accommodation address in a port-a-cabin in Truro?