The 'Gordon Oliver' Trophy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Shangull wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:15 Madness! If there's not enough conspiracy theories already. Jules Rimet must be scratching his head.
Er, excuse me, I believe his name is actually "Jewels Remain"

:)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

sgf wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 18:33 How about a couple of promising pre season performances? You forgot that.
:goodpost: - all that some people see are the negatives. What an existence....
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

knightmaregull wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 13:39 I can just see Clarke chuckling to himself when he came up with this idea. It's nothing more than an attempt to show the fans and wider public at large that he is the master in this game and no amount of protesting or abuse is going to change that. Ultimately he'll get his land. He knows that and I'm certain he has a relatively short term plan to make that happen. There won't be a stadium and there won't be a Plainmoor ground to play in. Those who are belittling Truro on this forum and others at the moment should be very careful. They may be a smaller club but they a equal pawn in the game that's being played around us and this indefensible move should be a stark warning to us all not to be sucked in by a bit of work on the grass and managing to assemble a squad of players.
This has got to be the slyest, dirtiest trick that the slimy Clark Osborne has pulled. I'm really lost for words of contempt for this weasel. Gordon Oliver has never shown the slightest interest in Torquay United. To name a trophy after him is ridiculous, unless you take into account Osborne's ultimate ambition for Plainmoor (and/or the Quinta Playing Fields). The much reviled Mr Oliver will only be mayor until May 2019 (when I think the Mayoral system in Torbay is to come to an end), but he can do a lot of damage in that time.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Naming a trophy after someone is a fairly innocuous, it's actually pretty irrelevant.

If it was referred to as "top player from 2017-18 in the Football Development Programme" as per the website, it would be standard.

To name it after someone, an ex TUFC youth teamer who became a professional - Mike Williamson, Garry Monk, Darren Moore, Lee Sharpe. Or even a local who went on to become a professional Dan Gosling or Ollie Watkins. Someone people can aspire to be like.

If it were named after whoever started the programme, I'd get it.

Or the benefactor behind the award even. Maybe Oliver is that person?

The mayor, who doesn't support the club. Some might think the owner wants to butter him up, to sway him into selling the land at Plainmoor.

I don't know, an explanation as to why it's named after Oliver would take no more effort than the 3 sentences the club normally offer up for official news and would clarify it. Its a decision befitting an O£bourne/H@rr*p run TUFC.

I'm not surprised.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Should be renamed the Gordon Bennet Cup surely? If a new stadium is ever built by CO they could name the toilets after Gordon Oliver perhaps??
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

According to the website Mr Oliver donated the trophy himself. Apparently it’s “massive”...
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Caldwellanddobson wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 16:52 According to the website Mr Oliver donated the trophy himself. Apparently it’s “massive”...
Interesting awakening in him, seems like he's finally been bitten by the Torquay United bug at 70 something. Somewhat less suspicious then, if still a little baffling. Clarke you're off the hook on this one (temporarily). Olaf Koszela is going to have to make some room in his house for that.