Torquay United unveil huge plan for 10,000-seater stadium.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Matt88 wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:37 Before we run through the play-by-play, it's important to understand a few things:
The majority of locals have zero interest in TUFC.
Torbay is a Brexit heartland. Post-truth politics and 'alternative facts' tactics are proven to work here.
Osbourne is well versed in this...

We've already seen phase 1, the palm greasing.
The Gordon Oliver trophy? It's not subtle, it's disingenuous and it's so, so obviously a 'move'. All that was true of the £350m claim on the Big Red Bus, the people of Torbay absolutely lapped that up.

Phase 2 will be the public consultation.
It will be a chance to show off an artist's conception of what the place might (but won't) look like when finished. This is simply buying time for phase three...

Phase 3 will be after 19th March 2019; you'll see why in a sec.

Locals will be told two things/lies
1) that this project will create many jobs WHICH WILL GO TO BRITS NOT FORRINERZ!
2) That the council is cash-strapped and it's either increase revenue, or raise council rates

The locals will swallow this hook, line, and sinker.
They'll attack opponents as 'anti-British remoaners' and 'monied elites' who don't care if council tax goes up because they are 'the rich'.

Those opposing the new ground will be portrayed as ungrateful.

"I don't know what these football supporters want. They're getting a big new ground for free and they're still not happy. Typical Generation Snowflake, it's all me me me. Never satisfied. Bring back national service"

The justified concerns of fans will be ignored, because the argument against a new ground is counter-intuitive to the uninitiated. It is a nuanced argument, not easily portrayed in a 'Brexit means Brexit' or 'take back control' style soundbite.

Osbourne will point to Poole and Bristol Rovers and will be backed up by Masters who will point to the Stadium for Cornwall as a model of how these things do get completed.

The tales none of them will tell will be the those of decades of delays, tens of millions in wasted costs, exorbitant rents, stadia standing mostly empty even on days when they're actually being used because their supply massively outstrips demand. Event costs going sky high.

Again, opposition to these plans will be shouted down.

"They got there in the end, didn't they? Why can't you just believe in Torbay a bit more? We used to be the jewel in Britain's crown, then the EU came along, but we're free of them now. Make Torbay Great Again".

Further homes ("so your grandchildren don't have to move away") will be promised (and built, and immediately purchased by either local no-hopers, or Londoners wanting A Place By The Sea). No other amenities will follow. Local services will be put under increased pressure.

This increase will, as usual, be blamed on 'foreigners'. No one will look at the local demographic amd realise that Torbay doesn't have any foreigners.
By this point, it's too late anyway.

Uncle Clarke will break even on the house building. He'll make his money, inter alia, charging TUFC £20,000/month in rent.
It'll be Oxford United all over again.
£40 to get in. A fiver for a cup of tea. Others will hate coming here because of the cost.

We, as fans, will have to go to forums and local pre-match pubs and meekly apologise for the enormous cost, explaining that we're no happier than they are.

They will smile and nod and sympathise and wish us all the best for the season and pay us no further heed.

That's what's coming, folks, and that's how it will go down. Feel free to follow the thread through over the next 18-24 months and see it unfold before your very eyes.

Just one vision of hell that I conceived and whacked on Twitter yesterday.

Matt.
What a load of b0llox!

You are obviously an embittered remainer who has to use anything to have a pop at anyone who voted out. Nothing to do with being posh it was the f ing opposite who voted out.

Your not the same Matt who had a go at me for posting on here what Osbourne was about when this first started?, probably
TUST MEMBER
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Tl:dr

😊
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

Neal wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 12:54 What a load of b0llox!

You are obviously an embittered remainer who has to use anything to have a pop at anyone who voted out. Nothing to do with being posh it was the f ing opposite who voted out.

Your not the same Matt who had a go at me for posting on here what Osbourne was about when this first started?, probably
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :goodpost:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I hope this 'Matt88' isn't a reincarnation of that monstrous pontificator who called himself 'Ferrari Lover'. Please God - anything but that.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

wivelgull wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 13:09 I hope this 'Matt88' isn't a reincarnation of that monstrous pontificator who called himself 'Ferrari Lover'. Please God - anything but that.
Please god - anything but a poster who has no opinion other than 'what brucie said'.....
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Neal wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 12:54

What a load of b0llox!

I had a private bet with myself that it would take less than an hour for someone to come along and prove my point for me. Thank you to Neal for winning me this bet. I owe you a pint.

For anyone else who struggles with thinking:

My post isn't about Bregzit. Happy to help.

Matt.

*Blows kiss to Wivel*
*Nods sagely to Richinns*
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Matt88 wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:37 Before we run through the play-by-play, it's important to understand a few things:
The majority of locals have zero interest in TUFC.
Torbay is a Brexit heartland. Post-truth politics and 'alternative facts' tactics are proven to work here.
Osbourne is well versed in this...

Matt.
Oh yes Matt the good old referendum.

Isn't this a time when good old tricky dickie Branson told us, a vote for brexit would make the poor people poorer, whilst he was buying private health care contracts, fining the NHS, and indeed, making the poor people poorer.

Remind me, didn't the, then US president tell us the UK would be at the back of the que for a trade deal (nothing suspicious there) I mean if he'd have said, the UK would have been at the back of the line, for a trade deal would have got it, why would he say that, unless reading from a prepared statement written by a Brit.

Then of course not forgetting George ( bless him ) Osbourn, didn't he tell us, there would need to be an emergency budget, after a vote for brexit, because if we did vote that way, giant aliens would invade from Alpha Centauri and eat all our money. He even got his best mate, the then German foreign minster to confirm this as true, who would later admit, the conformation he gave, was at the request of his best mate George.

Then good old Dave ( yep the pig is fine now ) what did he tell us, oh yes, the Russians ( pesky forkers get everywhere ) the Russians had meddled with recent elections on Alpha Centauri, and would invade in support of their new found allies from outer space, causing world war 3.

The point to all this is, the good people of Torbay saw right through the scandalous lies and weird fantasies of the remain campaign and voted brexit.

My advice to you or anyone is; Don't underestimate the intelligence of the people from, Torbay, clever blighters, can see through anything. ;-)

Dave
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Of course we will all experience the land of milk and honey now won't we ??

Blinkers ....

Looking forward to being ripped off by Trump !!

Bye bye NHS ...Branson and soon the yanks will finish carving it up.

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@
oldcommsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldcommsboy »

Reading the TUST tweets tonight it seems that there was another example of the distasteful alliance between the Mayor and Clarke Osborne this evening. The mayor took the Mic from GO to say " Plainmoor was not on the agenda" - preventing questions on the subject.

It was sickening enough to have the Gordon Oliver Trophy set up with absolutely no connection with the Club ...until now. So what is the connection? Maybe someone who knows how to investigate such things could start digging into what the relationship actually is? After all I doubt the Mayor is doing this just to get his name on a Trophy.

Chris
Chris
TUST member 479
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

oldcommsboy wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 23:50 Reading the TUST tweets tonight it seems that there was another example of the distasteful alliance between the Mayor and Clarke Osborne this evening. The mayor took the Mic from GO to say " Plainmoor was not on the agenda" - preventing questions on the subject.
MellowYellow wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 20:29 ... The repeated topic of "The future of Plainmoor cannot be considered until the new stadium development is completed", is a red herring. You will soon find out that the development of Plainmoor is not a condition of the new plan...
I did try to explain that Plainmoor was not part of Osbornes new plan - Osborne pitched a curve ball and many did not see it coming.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Anybody who stills thinks that CO is good for this club is an absolute moron. The plans are a complete mess, a primary school child could have drawn up better plans.
Don’t get sucked in by the fact that the club is still full time and that money is available for players etc. it’s all a ploy to convince people that all is well. CO can afford to lose money if he ultimately gets what he wants.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

MellowYellow wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 00:21 I did try to explain that Plainmoor was not part of Osbornes new plan - Osborne pitched a curve ball and many did not see it coming.
Plainmoor is 100% part of the plan, whether it’s land swapped, built upon or disposed of for funding. Oliver staying it’s not part of the discussions was just a way of stopping people complaining, so we could all gaze at the fancy drawings and get sucked in. I hope the local media is rather more critical and asks why Oliver shut down the discussion.

If nothing else let’s remember that unlike most of us Kevin Foster has actually met Clarke Osborne and discussed the situation with him, yet is becoming one of the loudest sceptics about this whole project. That should tell you everything alone. Especially given modern MPs reluctance to fight for anything that may be contentious.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

SenorDingDong wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 00:50 Plainmoor is 100% part of the plan, whether it’s land swapped, built upon or disposed of for funding. Oliver staying it’s not part of the discussions was just a way of stopping people complaining, so we could all gaze at the fancy drawings and get sucked in. I hope the local media is rather more critical and asks why Oliver shut down the discussion.

If nothing else let’s remember that unlike most of us Kevin Foster has actually met Clarke Osborne and discussed the situation with him, yet is becoming one of the loudest sceptics about this whole project. That should tell you everything alone. Especially given modern MPs reluctance to fight for anything that may be contentious.
Torquay United is 100% part of the plan but when full details of the plans are released, I think you will find that the development of Plainmoor is not part of those plans. Osborne knows he is on a losing wicket in obtaining the freehold of Plainmoor so has changed strategic direction. There will be no mention of land swapping, housing development or disposal of Plainmoor, it will just be about Osbornes new targeted land (wherever that may be) for housing development in exchange for the promise of new Multi-Event Arena (wherever that may be) and of which Torquay United can be one of the many new tenants when completed ( if ever completed). Plainmoor, the current home of Torquay Utd will back to where it started -for the time being - a piece of leased land from the council - no more - no less.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

So why is Clarke Osborne even involved? He doesn't own Nightingale Park and the one thing he does own (The lease of Plainmoor) isn't part of the deal.

As we all know he has never built a stadium so why do the council need him?

If this is a viable project which would benefit the people of the bay and make money why don't they just do it themselves?

They have their own investment fund now which was set up for exactly this kind of thing I thought? If they want to partner up with a developer surely they would choose someone who actually develops things?
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

What like James Brent at Oldway !!!!!!