Torquay United vs Cardiff City 20.7.18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Owers is there because his financial demands can be managed and his remarks about the Chair and the General Manager accord with their own view of themselves. Simples. It's not got nothing to do with management talents. Both he and his 3 predesscers are probably in the same group of poor to very poor.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

happytorq wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 16:30 I'm convinced we played Cardiff in a cup game of some sort about, I dunno...25 years ago?

We won 4-2 with Richard Hancox (of all people) getting a hat-trick, including one via a bicycle kick!

Someone please reassure that I'm not finally going mad..
No you're not I remember this as well. Can't find the overhead kick but here's his third:

[youtube] [/youtube]
Last edited by Jerry on 20 Jul 2018, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Surely Hancox never actually scored?!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Hancox's half-hour :)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

1-0 Cardiff
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

happytorq wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 16:30 I'm convinced we played Cardiff in a cup game of some sort about, I dunno...25 years ago?

We won 4-2 with Richard Hancox (of all people) getting a hat-trick, including one via a bicycle kick!

Someone please reassure that I'm not finally going mad..
I remember after one game against them there was loads of trouble after the game . It was in the early 90s so that might be the game you are talking about .
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

1-1 Keating!
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

YES IT WAS 4-2 and he scored with that bicycle kick, its on you tube, just watched it, he scored 25 goals for us.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

FT: 1-1, Att: 2114
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Well done Torquayunited. I appreciate it's a friendly, but playing against a near full strength premiership side and showing more fight in the second half is a credit to the lads.
Lucy
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bristol_Gull »

A well grafted performance and a result to be proud of. Played the ball around well. Lots of potential in the team now.

GK: Alex Bass - 8. No real threats to deal with other than the goal but looked comfortable throughout.

RB: Ben Wynter - 7. A very solid performance, looks strong at the back and decent movement going forward.
LB: Liam Davis - 8. Loads of energy and pace moving forward. A couple of mistakes did not deter from a commanding performance
CB: Kyle Cameron - 7. Solid performance.
CB: George Essuman - 7. Whilst a little nervy at times, generally solid and a good understanding of the back 3.
CB: Jean-Yves Koue Niate - 7. Building a good relationship with Essuman at the back. Could be a little more confident in closing players down.

CM: Samir Nabi - 7. Great work rate, calm and composed. Looks like he has more to come
CM: Asa Hall - 5. Poor. Passing was disappointing. Seems to be lacking confidence. Decent positioning. Hope to see improvement over time.
CM: Ryan Dickson - 9. Different class on the ball. Will be player of the season if can stay fit.

ST: Brett Williams - 8. Great work rate. Unlucky not to get a pen. Will score goals if he gets the right person alongside him.
ST: Jamie Reid - 4. Terrible movement, never looked threatening despite plenty of space offered to him. Provided no outlet or support to Williams.

Subs
ST: Ruairi Keating - 8. Great finish, superb work rate. Could be a threat in NLS. Must replace Reid.
LW: Jason Banton - 6. Didn’t really get into the game but looked sharp. Look forward to seeing more of him in action
AM/ST: James Roberts - 7. Showed composure on the ball. Not sure where he would fit into our team but would like to see more of him before making a judgement.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Another good performance and providing Garry Owers can sign on all the players involved tonight we could have a good season. Jerry Gill the Bath City manager was in the stand to see what we've got and must have gone away impressed. Keating needed that goal and needed to be kickd up the backside as once he scored he was on cloud nine why could't he play like that before. Good all round performance.
Well done! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Warnock Interview/Highlights from the game. Torquay goal from 1 min 33 secs.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/20 ... the-pitch/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Went to the game last night, once again there were far more positives than negatives, although we can't as fans take to much from the game, as it's easier to get yourself up for playing on a warm July evening, in a friendly against Cardiff, than a bread and butter NLS game on a cold wet Tuesday night.

Seen a lot written about this weeks games, think the point missed is other than the quality of opposition , we have a brand new squad, on field partnerships, and understanding doesn't come over night, at times our team have looked like strangers, but they've only been together for a few short weeks, that will come, as the biggest positive for me from these two games has been the sight of a clear good team spirit building amongst the squad, they look like they get on, and really want to play for each other.

We saw the team trying to play from the back again, and some of our passing and movement, especially in the last 20 minutes or so, was as good as you'll see, two levels above. Again very impressed with the three centre backs, looked solid through out, and conceded far less chances than they did v Plymouth.

The keeper, Bass, this kid has a bright future in the game, and can see why he's so highly rated at Portsmouth. Handling absolutely flawless in this game, came a took a few crosses, had a number of shots straight at him, and held everything, so important the keeper does that. Can be no doubting Williams work rate in this game, long may that continue, cover a lot of ground, even got back helping out the defence during the first half when the team were under pressure.

Final thoughts on the young trialist Roberts, some may not agree, I really like the look of this lad, quick, gets about the pitch, and looks to have a long pass on him as well, Id surprised if he doesn't get an offer.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Couldn’t get to the game last night so really appreciate the update and analysis. I have to say that from what I have read we are on course to be competitive in the NLS .I amongst other had no expectation or faith in Owers putting a decent side together. So if he pulls it off then hats off to him. At least as Forever said, they look like they want to play for each other and hopefully the manager as well. I’m actually looking forward to the Bristol city game now.