Torquay Vs Plymouth - 17/7/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Torquay Vs Plymouth - 17/7/18

Post by __quiet__gull »

Well so we find ourselves in a different league AGAIN this time round facing our local rivals Plymouth.

Whilst the game is a pre-season friendly, much is the focus on new signings and trialists as no doubt they will have a desire to impress in a bid to make the starting 11 for our first league game come August 4th.

If you do make it along tonight, observe and enjoy and keep in mind that pre-season friendlies are not about the result.

Enjoy reading the opinions and views of fellow fans.

:)
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

I wonder if Nick Dembele will get another game? A little raw, maybe, but knows where the net is and has scored a lot of great goals, albeit at a much lower level. Worth a punt?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

No trialists listed tonight so guessing not.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Richinns wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 19:27 No trialists listed tonight so guessing not.
There is one i believe; Roberts.

Someone mentioned he may be James Roberts released by Oxford United.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by dennisk »

James Roberts was on loan at Guiseley last season.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

CraigUnder wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 19:28 There is one i believe; Roberts.

Hmmm! his career to date does not spell 'prolific goal-scorer. Three goals in Roberts' senior appearances for Oxford Utd. Loans to Chester, Oxford City Barnet and Stalybridge have all followed since, but with only four goals to show for them and his loan to Guiseley last season saw him net 3 goals.

This may be a tad harsh but 10 goals over four seasons (89 appearances) for a forward does not make good reading.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 17 Jul 2018, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

Roberts seemed to be highly rated by guiseley fans
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by dennisk »

He was on the subs bench for the game at Plainmoor. The 3-4 game. Not sure if he made an appearance.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by dennisk »

FT: 0 -1, att: 1824. Good workout.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

CraigUnder wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 19:28 There is one i believe; Roberts.

All set to sign for us last season apparently until an injury to another player meant Oxford didn't want to release him.

http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.ph ... ts#p215679
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Went to the game tonight, haven't got a lot of time so in brief.

Encouraged by what I saw tonight, despite the fact we have a lot of new players and they haven't been together long, you can see a team ethic and spirit there, style of football good, nothing hoofed, and genuine attempt to play out from the back and play with the football through the pitch.

As for the players liked the three centre backs, particularly Cameron the lad from Newcastle, Bass the keeper was outstanding, a real shot stopper, made 3-4 top class saves, not scared to come for a cross, distribution doesn't look bad either.

The lad Roberts came on in the second half, please sign him up Owers, this lad sure can pick a pass, seems to have something about him.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Quite impressed tonight the defense was solid and organised above what I watched last season. The goalkeeper is raw but made three
quality saves and was full of confidence. I think if we had not changed the side we would have drawn 0-0.

Owers has put together a side tonight that looks a very competitive squad. There was a crowd of 1,800 so not bad, it would be great to see a few more there on Friday 7pm KO.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

An entertaining PSF and our new team competed well with Argyle. The new pitch looked superb. Top marks to our Groundsman Chris Ralph.
Automatic pop up sprinklers a first at Plainmoor.
Argyle had in Lameiras and Carey 2 superb players and in truth they were much the better side as you would expect but we showed that we can compete and a number of the new signings looked very good.
Alex Bass. Outstanding game. The young man oozes confidence and Gary Owers has done a great deal getting such a good keeper on loan for the season.
Ben Wynter. Looked good and should make the right back position his own.
Jean Niate. A big big guy who I thought had an excellent game.
Liam Davis. Thrilling to watch when he plays well. Such quick feet.
Ryan Dickson. Did not look match fit yet but a great signing and will be a key player this season without doubt.
Brett Williams. Really put himself about in the first half.Looks very fit and looks like he is enjoying his football.
Kyle Cameron. Terrific game. Looks an inspired signing. Strong, quick, calm and fit.
Jon Paul Pittman. Made an impact when he came on whipping a series of balls into the box. Might surprise a few people this season.
I was encouraged tonight but the one closing thought is we need a big striker for Brett to work off.Still too light weight up front and goals win games.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

Hi...

So the game last night was not overly competitive (Plymouth dominated, they just couldn't hit the target, or bass saved) but did allow for a few of the players to show us fans some of what they have in their football locker. A good attendance CIRCA 1800, I am sure many of you were there and formed your own views/opinions but for those of you that missed the game, here goes:

'it may be worth mentioning that I have done this to enable there to be comparison between two views/opinions as I see 'portugull' has left his above.

Bass - 8/10 - Will be superb for us if we keep him for the season and he is not recalled - minor criticism was that he perhaps should have done better with the goal. Made several fine saves. Likes to punch.

Wynter - 7/10 - Slow start but should make right back his own, seems to be better delivering a dead ball but could just be rusty.

Davis - 7/10 - He has speed and as you know can beat a player, but am I the only one that can see that he can't cross a ball. If he worked on his crosses he would be deadly.

Niate - 6/10 - Very big, however a bit hoof and hope.

Cameron - 9/10 - Always tough for a defender to get MOM, not really sure MOM is really purposeful pre-season, same as result is of little value....
anyway Bass got MOM and that was a good choice but my MOM would have been Cameron, definitely a superb signing, agile, good in air, passes ball on the floor.

Sokolik - 5/10 - losing faith in this guy, doesn't look anywhere near the player he once was for Plymouth.

Essuman - 6/10 - did nothing wrong, fairly consistent, as previously identified, vocal.

Gowling - 4/10 - after singing his laudits after the match against Poole, he looked disinterested and certainly not a Gowling you would want in your team.

Dickson - 8/10 - In a game dominated by Plymouth, moved ball quickly and meant midfield had little possession, Dickson showed glimpses of magic, some good passing and trickery that will be hard to come by in the NL south. MUST KEEP HIM FIT.

Nabi - 6/10 - A little lost tonight but clearly has abundance of ability, very, very unfit - probably get 60 mins max from him to start.

Banton - 6/10 - He just needs a few goals, seems low on confidence but he definitely has ability, no gel between midfield thus far, but I think that is fair considering the changes.

Williams - 7/10 - portugull hit the nail on the head! Looks like he is really enjoying his football, I hope he converts his enthusiasm to goals, if he does could be one of the top strikers in NLS.

Reid - 6/10 - His usual self... say no more!

Keating - 3/10 - Really very poor.

Pittman - 4/10 - At the moment can see why he is out of favour. Sloppy crosses after good positioning.

Other observations:
  • Why were Hall and Bobson-Bawling not playing. (Injuries to both? Rest?)
  • The ONLY trialist was naff last season on load at Guiseley and is only a tiny bit bigger than Chaney (sorry to mention that name).
  • In my opinion we need another striker/forward for sure....
Thank you very much for reading, sorry if you found my post boring... I will try and condense in future.
Uberwozza-san
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Uberwozza-san »

not boring at all - very helpful as we all try to get to grips with our new squad