Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Constable has scored 10 goals in his last 78 League games (last two seasons). Hardly prolific anymore.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Constable
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Hopefully the Constable thing is just one of btpir rumours. It's based on Asa Hall being a supposed mate. Quite frankly I was surprised to learn that Constable was still playing.
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

budegull1954 wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 11:20 Re: James Constable - I wouldn't call 33 years old 'getting on a bit' for NLS. He could probably do a decent job, but yes has he still got the hunger?
Beano will always give 100%!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Not sure Constable would bring that much more to the party these days? Still, it will be interesting to see precisely who the imminent 3-4 signings are!
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

at this level he would score a few I reckon.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Zippy wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 16:22 at this level he would score a few I reckon.
He didn't last season.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

well I think that depends on the players around you Phil and the service he receives, when TIM SILLS Signed from Hereford he hadn't scored many for them but with the right level of service look what he did for us.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

I hope there is little to this than just a fan based rumour - Re James Constable.

The club IMO should be looking at players 18-26 who can develop and be sold on for money. I've had enough of the likes of Ryan Clarke, JP Pittman, Josh Gowling, Yann Klukowski, Rory Fallon, etc joining the football club, offering nothing and leaving for nothing or being paid off. Experience and know how didn't help at all with ANY of them!

Give me a Eunan O'Kane type who is young, hungry and has room to improve, over those on the wane or passed a use by date.

There must be so much talent who would give their right arm in the semi-professional game to join TUFC at this level, playing rather than joining the development squad or a club in League 1,2, National League and become full time.

No more over 30's dead wood!! Wake up Torquay.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

Fair point, but in my view the most successful squads have a blend of both.

Experience is key but they need hunger too. We seem to be very good at taking players from teams that are on the turn and seemingly looking for a year or two more in the game before moving on to another career. Hungry 30 something players with quality are out there but our scouting network seems to always pick the 'wrong uns', lets hope this season is different with the the vast network and management knowledge we have in place!!!!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Yes I think the blend of both point is a very fair one.

However if it were to be either 'the' or 'a' Constable I simply don't see a forward line of 'Constable', Williams and Banton would have the workrate necessary week in week out to take us anywhere near the challenging places.

I hope I'm wrong.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Perhaps we will get some signings next week - sure as hell we need 4-5 players pretty soon, the NLS is not 5-a-side!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Waiting for these new signings is almost as painful as waiting for Nicho's replacement last year.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Suppose we should not panic too much - we are only short of goalkeepers, left back, central defender and decent centre forward plus perhaps another midfield player! I think the forwards we have - Reid, Banton, Williams, Keating - will not score that many goals over a season. Suspect Gowling may well stay as Owers will be desperate to plug the considerable gaps due to a failure (thus far) to attract and recruit the range and type of players that would be needed to mount a challenging campaign. Suspect mid to lower table is the best we can expect as things stand at present.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

And if Pittman and Gowling remain, along with Williams, Davis, Keating and Reid, that will total 6 players originally recruited by KN who did not avoid relegation last season. No reason to believe they would be much better in 208/19 without a considerable number of decent new recruits!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well just 10 days to Forest Green Friendly and we have 12 players signed.
7 if you include Sokalik played for us last season so clearly recruitment is proving challenging to say the least.
Surely next week is going to be key as the season fast approaches.