Asa Hall

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

^.^
drummergull90 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:50 I haven’t posted for a while but lately I haven’t had anything to say because most threads have just become personal slanting matches between different members of the forum.

Can we please talk about the Asa Hall signing?
In fairness his signing has been discussed somewhat on the player search thread. Repeating what I suggested on there I think this is a very decent signing for the level we find ourselves at. Played 37 games last year so fitness issues being suggested elsewhere seem less of a risk than perhaps our other signings thus far.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I see him as another Chris Hargreaves-type figure (when he was a player, not a manager of course!). Hargreaves was 35 when he came to Plainmoor and could certainly play a bit - Hall is 3 years younger and his experience is going to be invaluable this coming season and hopefully for a few seasons. A very canny signing indeed, just hope the further expected signings this week materialise.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

sgf wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 15:28
What's Luke Young got to do with Asa Hall?
Comparison! or is that not now within the rules and regulations of our new 'regional' football club. Supporters making comments and comparsions -my! my! whatever next!
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

MellowYellow wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 18:30 Comparison! or is that not now within the rules and regulations of our new 'regional' football club. Supporters making comments and comparsions -my! my! whatever next!
Yes let's compare to a player that was part of the worst period of the club's history.

Your "regional" and "bog standard" comments are accurate. We are in a regional league and Young signed for a bog standard national league club.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

budegull1954 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 16:59 I see him as another Chris Hargreaves-type figure (when he was a player, not a manager of course!). Hargreaves was 35 when he came to Plainmoor and could certainly play a bit - Hall is 3 years younger and his experience is going to be invaluable this coming season and hopefully for a few seasons. A very canny signing indeed, just hope the further expected signings this week materialise.
I can buy into this comparative outlook.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by budegull1954 »

I'm very suprised that our friend Ray Johnstone hasn't popped up with a contribution to this thread, with his interest in all things Barrow and Torquay. If he was a regular attender at Barrow's games last season he would be ideally placed to give us an opinion of Asa Hall's abilities.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

budegull1954 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 08:23 I'm very suprised that our friend [highlight=yellow]from Cumbria [/highlight]hasn't popped up with a contribution to this thread, with his interest in all things Barrow and Torquay. If he was a regular attender at Barrow's games last season he would be ideally placed to give us an opinion of Asa Hall's abilities.
Just what we need :no: - you mentioning him - as if its not bad enough on here and in general already......
think you should be barred for bringing him up.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by budegull1954 »

Ha ha - point taken!
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

sgf wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 19:59 Yes let's compare to a player that was part of the worst period of the club's history.

Your "regional" and "bog standard" comments are accurate. We are in a regional league and Young signed for a bog standard national league club.

At this moment in time I would rather be a bog standard National League club than a whatever we are going to be National South team.
Wrexham along with Orient and Chesterfield have the biggest fan bases in the National League and if any of them can get back into the League they have the potential to get to the Championship. Unfortunately Wrexham fell into the wrong hands but they are now owned by the fans and moving albeit slowly in the right direction. If Asa Hall had been offered a deal by Wrexham I don't think this thread would exist.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

It appears I'm in the minority in being happy with Asa Hall signing. Should hopefully be the midfield general we have missed since Hargreaves retired.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by budegull1954 »

I'm sure you are not in the minority. As I posted earlier, he's a very canny signing indeed and well done to Gary Owers for selling the club to him. No doubt at all he was wanted by other clubs - Wrexham was mentioned earlier. Hargreaves#2 hopefully!
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

PhilGull wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 13:31 It appears I'm in the minority in being happy with Asa Hall signing. Should hopefully be the midfield general we have missed since Hargreaves retired.
No you are probably not in the minority. It's just people passing judgement on a player before he has even pulled a shirt on.

Let's face it, he can't do any worse than the last shower if shite.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

I too think this is a very good signing. We’ve been crying out for someone to control and lead our midfield for a while now. Hopefully, Asa can do the business for us.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

budegull1954 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 13:51 No doubt at all he was wanted by other clubs - Wrexham was mentioned earlier.
Sod's Law - Wrexham get a 'bog average national league player' - we get 'Messi of the North' :whistle: