I want Gowling to stay....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Why on earth are we debating whether Josh Gowling has a Devine right to attend his mates Dads funeral ?
He's not wanted by the manager, he's been told if he attends whilst he should be 'at work' he will be fined !
So friggin what ! What makes him different to any other employee ?
Compassionate leave entitlements should be stated in your employee contract or hand book, they are where I work & were in my previous employ.
He's just stirring the shit up, obviously doesn't see eye to eye with GO, no big deal, tomorrow's chip paper.
Sad that.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It goes with out saying, Gowling was totally wrong to make that tweet, and knows it. Some of what I've seen written, particularly on FB however, has got me in despair if I'm being honest, it says a lot more about each individual, who's posted such personal opinions than it ever does about Gowling for posting such a tweet.

We know us football fans are fickle, makes me wonder how different the reaction would have been, if Gowling hadn't spent the season injured and contributed so little to our attempt to avoid relegation.

We're talking about a funeral, so someone's died. We don't know how close Gowling may have been to his friends father, or what effect this man may have had on Josh Gowling's life, doesn't matter who, what job, whether it be a close friend,or the parent of a friend, what's written in company hand books, contracts of employment, or whether the employee has the right or not shouldn't come into it.

A number of my friends were given compassionate leave to attend my fathers funeral, some part of the day, some the full day. If Josh Gowling feels he's needs to be there for his friend and their family, so what, give him 24 hrs away from the club, not going cost anything, it's all about understanding, and some basic compassion, surely.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

A poisonous tweet from Gowling. We are not in season or even pre-season. Just don't understand how he expected his comment would be favourable to him. He needs to be shipped out, but let's face it who would want him. He is injury prone.
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I completely agree with forevertufc. Football is all about man management and Josh Gowling came to United with glowing reports from Grimsby fans.

The Club will be repaid fully by Josh if he is treated with some compassion.
By repaid I mean by his performances if he stays at Plainmoor.
It is a big "If" because clearly Gary Owers would like him gone which is why he transfer listed him.
I hope the Club will complete their investigation on this matter and issue a Statement quickly.
My worry is that if Harrop is involved, and he will be, common sense will go out the window and he will take too long.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

[quote=portugull post_id=226949 time=1529865425 user_id=131]
I completely agree with forevertufc. Football is all about man management and Josh Gowling came to United with glowing reports from Grimsby fans.

The Club will be repaid fully by Josh if he is treated with some compassion.
By repaid I mean by his performances if he stays at Plainmoor.
It is a big "If" because clearly Gary Owers would like him gone which is why he transfer listed him.
I hope the Club will complete their investigation on this matter and issue a Statement quickly.
My worry is that if Harrop is involved, and he will be, common sense will go out the window and he will take too long.
[/quote

Utter garbage. This is the same Gowling that is allergic to 4G pitchers, welcome to Conf south. He is injured because he can’t be arsed. Let’s all move on without him
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

forevertufc wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 17:26
...doesn't matter...what job, whether it be a close friend,or the parent of a friend, what's written in company hand books, contracts of employment, or whether the employee has the right or not shouldn't come into it.

... give him 24 hrs away from the club, not going cost anything... it's all about understanding, and some basic compassion, surely.
I think you are saying 'there's more to a contract than words on a page'? We are all aware of our 'express terms' explict to the contract e.g. hours, holidays etc. and 'implied terms' that are taken for granted e.g. having a valid driving licence and 'incorporated terms' derived from other sources e.g. ' staff handbook' etc. So, did Torquay (if true) need to be so harsh on Gowlings 'compassionate leave' just for the sake of rules and regulations?

Well, I think you may find that they do. Contractual relationship are put into writing to stop ambiguities as they can lead to misunderstandings and misunderstandings can result in disputes. For example, I worked on a employee relations case for one company who gave two ladies -on different occasions'- time off work on the grounds of 'compassionate leave' because their horses had died. But this led to a dispute resulting in strike action as the 'union' stated the company had established over time a 'custom and practice' even without explicit agreement and were refusing their members the same rights of 'compassionate leave' for the passing away of their dogs, hampsters and goldfish etc.

So the issue for TUFC is not just about Gowling, it is applicable to all staff and players at Torquay namely. you treat everyone on the same equal 'legal' footing. If you want to be part of a professional club you have to abide by the rules and regulations. Gowling is a journeyman and will know this more than most players at the club. Of, course, there is more than one way to peel an orange, and I expect if Gowling had carried out proper recourse this would not have became an issue.

So you can see why not everyone sympathises with him.

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

portugull wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 19:37
if I was involved in a dispute with my employer i would hope they would not be publishing the results of any investigation. Employee/employer relations are confidential and we have no right or business in knowing what they are.
I remember when Higgins first went on 'leave' there were calls for the reason to be made public. Well it eventually became clear why the club, quite properly, kept quiet.
The employees of the club are entitled to privacy and confidentiality, they are not public property.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

MellowYellow wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 20:20 I think you are saying 'there's more to a contract than words on a page'? Gowling is a journeyman and will know this more than most players at the club. Of, course, there is more than one way to peel an orange, and I expect if Gowling had carried out proper recourse this would not have became an issue.

No, I'm not saying there's more to a contract than words on a page, I do get get where you coming from, this is clearly your field, so bow to your knowledge.

It's my personal opinion, built up over 33 years of continuous employment with five different companies, coming across this both personally, and with work mates, seeing how each different company dealt with these situations, the opinion is, there should be a much greater human angle built into how companies deal with compassionate leave. How would anyone of us feel if a very close friend of some years died, or the parent of, who'd we'd got to know well over those years, went to our boss and said need a few days off to deal with this, and was met with a firm no, after all it's not direct family, so why should you.

When my own father died, his funeral fell during a long standing week I already had booked as holiday. On my return, was called into the office and told by senoir management, they didn't think it right or fair that I'd been to my dads funeral whilst on holiday, so they had already paid me 2 days compassionate leave, and put those two days back on my holiday entitlement, they didn't have to do that, was not in my contract, I didn't ask them nor expect them to do that, they just did, and that's the point I'm making.

As for TUFC i'd expect them under these circumstances to treat all employees with some understanding. As for the second part I quoted, fully agree, he should and carried proper recourse, and not taken to twitter, maybe he felt desperate, in desperate times, we all have within us, to make poor decisions.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If they want confidentially then don't run to twitter - can't get much more public than that.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Plainmoor78 I may be wrong about the Club issuing a Statement as on re reading the Statement put out by the Club last Friday they did say they are "initiating an Internal Enquiry".
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Being reported that he's off to Alfreton for a month.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Poor f*****r.

That's punishment enough for anyone.

Living only a few miles away i know first hand. :-/
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

the right way - get rid of the bad eggs, especially as we are unbeaten and three clean sheets.

Bothered - NOT!
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

IMO unless a recall option is in place very bad decision. It will only take a couple of injuries and he would be needed.
Good that he will get games in at Alfreton, but he could still be an asset.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Good riddance.

- He wasnt going to be available for 3g pitches.
- He's the wrong side of 30.
- Transfer listed for a reason and only gets a loan move to end his TUFC career!

Transfer listed because (speculation time); he doesnt want to be at TUFC, not value for money, doesn't get on with the manager/team mates. Goes on social media, makes an accusation and is forced to delete it. Cant hack it in Devon, the travelling. Or just not rated by the manager.