Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

History will show that the managers known for being disciplinarians have been more successful than your softly softly manager.

It has been quite well documented that Wengers last few seasons at Arsenal were like a holiday camp with no consequences.

Going from Nicholson to Owers may well have shocked some of them and showed in their performance and results.

I've always said I'll judge Owers when he has his team as I would think he wants a completely different player to what Nicholson wanted
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

agree with that sgf, not many liked buckle but that's because he ruled the roost and he got the job done. look at people like clough, Ferguson, o,neil all managers that ruled with a rod of iron.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

The kind of players who complain about disciplinarian managers are the whining losers we've had for the last few years. Players with a winning mentality would welcome a bit of discipline I would think.
MrTee75
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by MrTee75 »

Perhaps Owers needs to bomb out ALL Nicholson's signings then,rather than wanting to keep the majority of them on the books,or offering them 2nd chances...said this weeks ago, we'll chuck together a squad and end up about 10th-12th next season,I'd take that now,not seeing anything to suggest otherwise.As for modern players these days,they don't give a shit,money talks.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

MrTee75 wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 20:03 Perhaps Owers needs to bomb out ALL Nicholson's signings then,rather than wanting to keep the majority of them on the books,or offering them 2nd chances...said this weeks ago, we'll chuck together a squad and end up about 10th-12th next season,I'd take that now,not seeing anything to suggest otherwise.As for modern players these days,they don't give a shit,money talks.
Accepting Torquay United being 12th in the Conference South......****ing mental. Was not so long ago we were pushing hard for league 1 football.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
MrTee75
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by MrTee75 »

In football terms,it was a long time ago,every season-even last,we had McGinty saying lets taken advantage of the play off system (be in top 7) and we end up relegated,next season looks to be a huge rebuilding job,with a manager who's finding hard to attract decent new player's in, whether that's a finance or location issue who knows,forget all this ex league club,nice ground,we are in NLS now,the way it's looking I'd take a 10th place finish.everytime we start making noises about promotion it never happens, usually it's the reverse..
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Well after five years of dross, no one could blame your scepticism!!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Could i repectfully inform Mr Owers if he signs a player a day before 1st July he will still fail to have a reasonable backbone of a squad before training recommences.

Maybe he could attempt to explain why the situation is so at variance with the words he said when he oversaw our relegation
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Probably practising for next season’s relegation!
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

It appears Owers wants to build the team around Asa Hall and he is close to joining-

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... en-1693259

On the face of it has the experience we need and would be nice to have a deep playmaker in the team which is something we have certainly lacked since Racchi
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Really, a player on contract at Barrow who they don't want i.e. transfer listed! Fit in well here then - can room mate with Gowling and Pittman - they will have a lot in common to talk about. Maybe Owers will build the team around the three of them.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

Don't know him as a player so cant comment on his ability, his pedigree looks good but then again so did many that joined last summer!

He was their captain last year for Barrow and played a good amount of games so couldn't have been a complete flop. Being positive perhaps he is on a decent wage and they need to cut their cloth? I accept you're theory is more likely but I live in hope!
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

PS- A fully fit and motivated Gowling would in my opinion still be a real asset to this football club, I however question just how much he wants to be here and help us fight for promotion.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

View1 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 17:06 It appears Owers wants to build the team around Asa Hall and he is close to joining-

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... en-1693259

On the face of it has the experience we need and would be nice to have a deep playmaker in the team which is something we have certainly lacked since Racchi
If true - finally a sign of intent to a so far slow and miserable recruitment drive. Best we can hope for at our level and on paper a decent signing *

*(as Klukowski, Gowling, Pittman, Gosling and Clarke were last year!)
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

View1 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 17:30 PS- A fully fit and motivated Gowling would in my opinion still be a real asset to this football club, ...
Agree!