Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

I agree with some of that argument but the simple fact is that going part time would have been the death knell of the club.

Sadly, CO is going to have to show the colour of his money as that is the only way we will tempt some full timers to drop down to NLS.

Personally, I think the club need to look at young players looking to go full time with a sprinkling of older players.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

sgf wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 12:35 the simple fact is that going part time would have been the death knell of the club.

Why?
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

we would never get back to the league going part time, you wouldn't be able to attract the players down to Devon on part time money. The club must stay full time and at least look like a professional outfit.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Never get back to the league staying full time either with current ownership and current managerial set up. The club needs the decks clearing once and for all from top to bottom to even begin climbing the leagues once more. As it should have been a long time ago but still hasn't.

I'm quite befuddled that anyone would actually think that Torquay will be challenging for promotion next season under Osborne and Owers.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Zippy wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 14:46 we would never get back to the league going part time, you wouldn't be able to attract the players down to Devon on part time money. The club must stay full time and at least look like a professional outfit.

A club of our size could have the pick of all the best part-time players west of Swindon if we were part-time but they aren't going to risk jacking in their "real" job for the offer of a one year punt at full time with us (probably earning less than their combined football and non-football earnings are currently).

So, unless we are willing to pay massively over the odds like Billericay, we are left with the very worst full-time players in the whole country who see us as a last available option, hence the lack of signings (everyone is waiting desperately for a better offer).

Living in the past will get us nowhere, we aren't a Football League club anymore, we are in a part-time league because that is where we deserve to be. The sooner we accept that and behave accordingly the better for everybody.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Jerry wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 15:21
A club of our size could have the pick of all the best part-time players west of Swindon if we were part-time but they aren't going to risk jacking in their "real" job for the offer of a one year punt at full time with us (probably earning less than their combined football and non-football earnings are currently).

So, unless we are willing to pay massively over the odds like Billericay, we are left with the very worst full-time players in the whole country who see us as a last available option, hence the lack of signings (everyone is waiting desperately for a better offer).

Living in the past will get us nowhere, we aren't a Football League club anymore, we are in a part-time league because that is where we deserve to be. The sooner we accept that and behave accordingly the better for everybody.
:goodpost:
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Zippy »

Only my opinion of course but going part time wont do us any good either , just because we are where we are now doesn't mean we will never get back to the football league.
befuddled or not if we arent pushing for at least the playoffs next season even with Osbourne and owers on board we just as well pack up and go and play in the south devon league.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Full-time status is not why our club hasn't been active in the transfer market to date. It's not been money , location, or the want of trying either. Could it be to do with the reputation of the manager within the game ? As to why a number of players may have turned us down.

We have an opinion as to the treatment of Gareth Law, was it the case that a certain player who turned up less than a minute late for training to be subjected to, some humiliating punishment?

Have we gone from one manager who's man management style was akin to the entertainments director at Butlins holiday camp, to another who likes to run a prison camp ? A reason for both of their failings.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Zippy wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 15:43 Only my opinion of course but going part time wont do us any good either , just because we are where we are now doesn't mean we will never get back to the football league.
Nothing stopping us going back to full time if/when the situation warrants it.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

My personal opinion is that he'll find FT for 12 months and if we don't go up he'll file us under dead duck and let the dwindling support etc run its course.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

forevertufc wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 15:53 Full-time status is not why our club hasn't been active in the transfer market to date. It's not been money , location, or the want of trying either. Could it be to do with the reputation of the manager within the game ? As to why a number of players may have turned us down.
Do you know this or is it just supposition?
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

Jerry wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 15:54 Nothing stopping us going back to full time if/when the situation warrants it.
If we go PT that situation will never arise. We have never, even in the good years, been higher than the third tier. Although I loathe bringing up our location, going PT will make this more relevant than ever
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

forevertufc wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 15:53 Full-time status is not why our club hasn't been active in the transfer market to date. It's not been money , location, or the want of trying either. Could it be to do with the reputation of the manager within the game ? As to why a number of players may have turned us down.

We have an opinion as to the treatment of Gareth Law, was it the case that a certain player who turned up less than a minute late for training to be subjected to, some humiliating punishment?

Have we gone from one manager who's man management style was akin to the entertainments director at Butlins holiday camp, to another who likes to run a prison camp ? A reason for both of their failings.
I bet he was never late for training again! I'm sorry but footballers have a pretty cushy life. If they can't turn up for training on time, tough shit.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

sgf wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 16:01 I bet he was never late for training again! I'm sorry but footballers have a pretty cushy life. If they can't turn up for training on time, tough shit.
Quite.

It's pretty standard practice at football clubs to punish those who are late for training isn't it?

Any gripes about a manager from players usually come with an agenda so shouldn't necessarily be treated as gospel.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Zippy »

Cyril Knowles ran it like a prison camp, and players respected him, but of course these days players cant handle it. its softly softly these days incase you upset them. and of course we cant have that, lol!