Ryan Brunt

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Parkys People wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 19:11I want the club looking at young...talent. The type who can be persuaded to join ... placed in a shop window, then sold on for a profit.
Was that a Freudian slip or are you seriously advocating selling on the best players to line the pockets of Mr Osbourne at the expense of winning the league.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I don't think that is a Freudian slip; it is reality. If we get the sort of players that are going to get us promoted then naturally they will attract the attention of higher up clubs. How else are we going to attract young up and coming talent without dangling the carrot of career development? You are certainly not going to get them by threatening them with long term stagnation at TUFC.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

MellowYellow wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 20:02 [quote="Parkys People" post_id=226761 time=1528913477 user_id=23741
I want the club looking at young...talent. The type who can be persuaded to join ... placed in a shop window, then sold on for a profit.
Was that a Freudian slip or are you seriously advocating selling on the best players to line the pockets of Mr Osbourne at the expense of winning the league.
[/quote]

Sorry to go off the Ryan Brunt topic here.

It's nothing to do with lining the pockets of anyone. Instead, the 'type' of players I'd advocate the club looking at recruiting.

I'd give the example of Brentford, who sign younger players - those who have impressed in the lower leagues or youngsters at a higher level looking for regular football. With the offer to use the club as a stepping stone, giving them a platform to perform at a Championship club, play them, develop them, sell for a profit and re-invest more money in each replacement signing. And so on.

Some examples from 5 years ago to now; look at the initial investment/profit & the following investment in new recruits/profits)

Harlee Dean from Southampton for 0. Invest in developing him & sell him for 2 million pounds.
Stuart Dallas from Crusaders for 0. Invest in developing him & sell him for 1.5 million pounds.
Adam Forshaw from Everton for £150,000. Invest in developing him & sell him for 2.5 million pounds.
James Tarkowski from Oldham for £250,000. Invest in developing him & sell him for 4 million pounds.
Andre Gray from Luton Town for £500,000. Invest in developing him & sell him for 7 million pounds.
Scott Hogan from Rochdale for £750,000. Invest in developing him & sell him for 9 million pounds.
Maxime Colin from Anderlecht for £900,000. Invest in developing him & sell him for 3.5 million pounds.
Jota from Celta Vigo for £1,500,000. Invest in developing him & sell him for 6 million pounds.

Ryan Woods (Shrewsbury), Dan Bentley (Southend), Rico Henry (Walsall) & Romaine Sawyers (Walsall) & yesterday's signing of England under 21 international Ezri Konsa from Charlton Athletic, will all follow suit in a matter of time.

The club have an incredible owner, that is a fan of the club. But he acknowledges this to be the best way to maintain healthy cash flow & who can argue?

It's all if's and but's, were Torquay to look at a similar model, rather than sign those who can't stay clear of injuries (Gowling) or are the wrong side of 30 with no re-sale value (Clarke, Pittman, 7 or 8 loanees a season) I'd prefer those excelling at a lower level like Kevin Hill did at Torrington, Chris Brandon did at Bradford Park Avenue, Eunan O'Kane from Cliftonville, Nathan Craig (although he didn't work so well) that type of signing, glad to sign for the club & who could improve.

Sorry for going on..
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Parkys People wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 21:01 I'd give the example of Brentford, who sign younger players - those who have impressed in the lower leagues or youngsters at a higher level looking for regular football. With the offer to use the club as a stepping stone, giving them a platform to perform at a Championship club, play them, develop them, sell for a profit and re-invest more money in each replacement signing. And so on.
You make some excellant points using the Brentford Business Model.

Inherent in the success of this model is the scrapping of their Academy and embracing 'B' team football. They disgarded the vision of the academy being the ultimate source of salvation and rejuvenation (as Torquay believe ) and changed direction. Rather than develop home grown talent and lose them to bigger clubs for a minuscul amount of compensation they signed those players other clubs did not want who were simply deemed not up to standard. This gives Brentford a better chance of exploiting one of the great inefficiencies in the professional game namely: late developers.

Maybe we should take their lead and dismantle the academy and start a pioneering 'B' team as a platform to enable ourselves to be financially sustainable, being able to sell players when the time is right for us, that will give us the best opportunity to make us successful long-term.
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

Richinns wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 15:27 According to who?
Devon Live
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

I think I saw on another thread that there are a couple of players undergoing medicals, this could be one. Might not be so bad if he gets a pay as you play deal. But it’s a risk.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

If Brunt drops two divisions to resurrect his career then I'll eat sh#t.

Yes. You heard it here first. I'll actually go to McDonalds if Brunt signs.

Watched him on loan at York and he's far too good for NLS.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Would like to think an inspirational manager could sign him and enthral him with the prospects of resurrecting his career and the club’s fortunes to get back into the Football League? We do not have an inspirational manager though!
smw89
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by smw89 »

We must be the ideal choice for Brunt who has business interests local to Torquay, couldn’t see him choosing Truro over us...
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I repeat - 3 games in 2 years. ...
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes he has been injured everyone knows and everyone knows how many games he has played so no need to bore everyone.

Clearly if he can get fit hes a level above us - most people know that as well. He is hardly Clarke, Gowling and the other malingerers because he has age on his side.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Very good Brucie!

Should we give him a 3 year contact then and see if he can get himself fit.!

For Gods sake Owers sign someone and give people something to really comment on as opposed to this dribble. No one in their right mind is going to give Brunt any form of contract that does not have full regard to his struggle to get fit over the past two years.

As for calling people mallingers - any fool can put out labels like that without knowing anything about the circumstances ( or bothering to attend games) . I have no real idea about Gowlings Clarke's and Pittmans fitness problems and neither do you.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Out of the three mentioned, Clarke and Pittman were not the Manager’s preferred options, which more often than not led to them missing out. The malingerer tag says more about the laziness of the author than the player.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 18:25 Yes he has been injured everyone knows and everyone knows how many games he has played so no need to bore everyone.

Clearly if he can get fit hes a level above us - most people know that as well. He is hardly Clarke, Gowling and the other malingerers because he has age on his side.
Well who knows Terry. Perhaps the one game you decide to attend next season is the one game he is fit for.....I look forward to you boring us with your amazing insight from that incredibly limited perspective!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

Signed for Bath. Another opportunity missed!!!