Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Not forgetting Mitchinson, Kitchener, Cave, Alan Welsh!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Launceston Gull wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 06:12 Guys don`t forget that in that same 1967 1968 ish side alongside Bond Brown and Scott were John Benson(ex Man City), John Smith (played in Spurs` 60/61 Double winning season and Jimmy Dunne who after he left the Gulls to join Fulham also won a full ROI cap. Such talent in the gold and blue strip. Unless you were there and saw it for yourself you would scarcely believe it.
Which player started his career with Blackpool as understudy to their famous winger Sir Stanley Matthew. With Blackpool winning the 1953 FA Cup Final, the so-called "Stanley Matthews Final" and four of their players in the England team opportunities were understandably limited so he moved on and eventually established himself as an unpredictable goalscoring winger 25 goals in 114 league games for Torquay between '66/'69. ?
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Rowlands
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

MellowYellow wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 10:17 Which player started his career with Blackpool as understudy to their famous winger Sir Stanley Matthew. With Blackpool winning the 1953 FA Cup Final, the so-called "Stanley Matthews Final" and four of their players in the England team opportunities were understandably limited so he moved on and eventually established himself as an unpredictable goalscoring winger 25 goals in 114 league games for Torquay between '66/'69. ?
Ronnie Barnes. Loved him. Would dribble past 4 players, turn back and beat them all again! =D
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Ah yes remember him well!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Absolutely! I've told this story till I'm blue in the face. Barnes beats three players and see's no-one in the box, takes the ball back to the half-way line - screams at Stubbs to get his 'arse into gear' - runs back to the byline beating the same three players- crosses the ball - BANG - Stubbs - 1-0. True story!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

May as well talk about old players seems as there's no new ones to talk about. 8-]
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Just what I was thinking - when times are hard, it's a natural human tendency to look back at 'the good old days'. We will probably never again see the like of the players described above. Unless a rich 'sugar daddy' (to use Mr Osborne's words) with a GENUINE love for the club turns up and is prepared to bankroll the club to achieve at least League 1 status.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

Personally I think that we should be looking to sign mike fondop talem he has just been released by guiseley he was on trial at the start of the season and seemed to catch the eye of a few people he also went out on loan to Halifax F.C. this year and bagged 9 goals for them and the season before played for billericy mind my spelling and got 22 goals and 10 assists so has been seen to be a proven goal scorer he is 6ft 3 and has scored a couple this goals from some good headers he is a target man which would be a good option to have next year imo if we could persuade him to sign for us this year I think he could be a fantastic signing
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

If we could sign anybody that would be good!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

The last surviving Munchkin from 'The Wizard of Oz,' died today, so that's one less on Ower's recruitment list.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Darn - Owers probably wanted him in as a target man!
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Which player started his career with Blackpool as understudy to their famous winger Sir Stanley Matthew. With Blackpool winning the 1953 FA Cup Final, the so-called "Stanley Matthews Final" and four of their players in the England team opportunities were understandably limited so he moved on and eventually established himself as an unpredictable goalscoring winger 25 goals in 114 league games for Torquay between '66/'69. ?

[highlight=yellow]Ronnie Barnes[/highlight]. Loved him. Would dribble past 4 players, turn back and beat them all again! =D

I remember him in a defensive incident at Northampton late 60s (possibly November 1968). On the goal line, dived to his left and punched the ball away, saving a certain goal. Everyone saw it - except the ref! We ended up with a 1-1.
TUST member 200 ;-)
MrTee75
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by MrTee75 »

Really can't fathom Owers out at all,he says he wants to get his recruitment right,his players in,yet I'm now hearing he wants to possibly keep Gowling and Pittman?,plus a stack of others,if he had a clue he'd be dangerous,after saying what he did at the end of the season,he's making himself look a tad daft,then again,trying to get players signed is going to be tricky,I doubt there's any cash available for him,and trying to get quality loans to improve us will become harder now we are in NLS.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

MrTee75 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 21:59 Really can't fathom Owers out at all,he says he wants to get his recruitment right,his players in,yet I'm now hearing he wants to possibly keep Gowling and Pittman?,plus a stack of others,if he had a clue he'd be dangerous,after saying what he did at the end of the season,he's making himself look a tad daft,then again,trying to get players signed is going to be tricky,I doubt there's any cash available for him,and trying to get quality loans to improve us will become harder now we are in NLS.
Gary Owers doesn't always fully engage his brain before opening mouth. We have a location problem for incoming players because unless they are already Devon based they generally have to move. Torbay is probably not a destination of choice for young upwardly mobile footballers - the winters are long and generally wet and the social life doesn't begin to compare with the bright lights of the big cities. Our managers have always had this problem and it is probably getting worse as roads become more congested and travel takes longer. Coming to Torquay United must be a hard sell and when the two main salesmen are Geoff Harrop and Gary Owers we shouldn't be surprised that recruitment is at a standstill. I don't find it surprising that Owers is talking in fairly conciliatory terms about Gowling and Pittman staying on for a second year or that he is giving the four who have been offered terms for next year more time to decide. Quite simply he hasn't got a queue of players waiting to replace them!