Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 13:24 Don't confuse what's required to get the club up from the NLS in comparison to what got us into it in the first place...

that any 'Football League' player poor enough to have to accept playing at this level is not good enough anyway. Proven competitors at this level and winners are what is required;
OK - I get it - I think? So what we are to expect is top quality regional footballers. The like of say Gerring or Harding, players with NLS play-off experience who have that winning mentality. Silly me! And their was I thinking the clubs aspirations were higher than that. You've now made me yearn for the return of our "bog average non league footballer"
Nathan Strong
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Vincent Dorel

Post by Nathan Strong »

Owers says he know's what it takes but does he? last time I checked he was 11th with Bath City, we were doomed from the start we picked an average manager in the NLS to survive in the VNL it was never going to work, the only way we are gonna go up next season is if we get a group of lads who are willing to die for each other to win that title, not Jamie Reid the most clueless footballer I've ever seen and so on. Players like Elliot Romain who made up for what he lacked in finishing with his incredible work ethic and the determination to win no matter the odds, but it seems time is running out and the season ahead is looking gloomy.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I've been watching this level of football for a few seasons; have you?

It's given me the insight to recognise the type of game you will see; the type of opponent you will see and problems that will be set for teams wishing to come out on top. I see very few 'Football League' levels in it, I see less 'National League capable players' than you might imagine. But I do see very capable and hard to beat teams containing upwardly mobile players from some very good leagues below of which the likes of Young and McGinty ~ to name but two ~ would struggle to look any better than they already are.

There's more than Truro City to recruit from at this level; Weston, Bath, Chippenham, below that Weymouth, Poole, and others not a million miles from Torquay; but let's just leave the manager to recruit and make a judgement once the season is under way.

The numerous players achieving full-time contracts this summer from the NLS and levels below are indicative of the talent out there.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 15:11 I've been watching this level of football for a few seasons; have you?
In answer to your question - yes I have. Not numerous, but enough to allow a judgement. Indeed I have on numerous occasions heaped praise on Dulwich Hamlets manager Gavin Rose and his style of play. But Dulwich's football philosophy of open attractive football in the lower leagues is far and few between. Hereon we will beg to differ. For some the NLS is ready made for McGinty - its primarily route one 'hoof-ball' at its finest.

Your initial post made reference to what is required at NLS level " Proven competitors... and winners" and yet you name teams like Weston, Bath, Chippenham, none of whom even made a play-off place. I actually had to read your post twice to make sure it was not a wind-up as you named Poole Town as a possible recruitment centre. In fairness you did state "I see less 'National League capable players' than you might imagine". Nonetheless if you think Luke Young is a "bog average non league footballer"' this tells me you never saw Poole play last season.

So at the risk of choking on my Shish Kebab, I used Truro as the team in response to your requirement of 'proven competitors' with a winning mentality to reach the play off finals and not because of location.

Just on one other point of issue. You say "let's just leave the manager to recruit and make a judgement once the season is under way". Was that not one of your primary gripes in allowing Nicho to do the same last season. Just asking the question.

So lets leave the manager to recruit, as in his own words “Recruitment is king" and has "one aim and that’s to win the league" because as he says “ I know what it will take".
Nathan Strong
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Vincent Dorel

Post by Nathan Strong »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 17:19 In answer to your question - yes I have. Not numerous, but enough to allow a judgement. Indeed I have on numerous occasions heaped praise on Dulwich Hamlets manager Gavin Rose and his style of play. But Dulwich's football philosophy of open attractive football in the lower leagues is far and few between. Hereon we will beg to differ. For some the NLS is ready made for McGinty - its primarily route one 'hoof-ball' at its finest.

Your initial post made reference to what is required at NLS level " Proven competitors... and winners" and yet you name teams like Weston, Bath, Chippenham, none of whom even made a play-off place. I actually had to read your post twice to make sure it was not a wind-up as you named Poole Town as a possible recruitment centre. In fairness you did state "I see less 'National League capable players' than you might imagine". Nonetheless if you think Luke Young is a "bog average non league footballer"' this tells me you never saw Poole play last season.

So at the risk of choking on my Shish Kebab, I used Truro as the team in response to your requirement of 'proven competitors' with a winning mentality to reach the play off finals and not because of location.

Just on one other point of issue. You say "let's just leave the manager to recruit and make a judgement once the season is under way". Was that not one of your primary gripes in allowing Nicho to do the same last season. Just asking the question.

So lets leave the manager to recruit, as in his own words “Recruitment is king" and has "one aim and that’s to win the league" because as he says “ I know what it will take".
If this league is as you say "route one" hoof it up the field McGinty will be an absolute must keep I've never seen him not hoof it up the field when he gains possession hahaha
MrTee75
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by MrTee75 »

I'm fairly new to this,so not looking for any BS dialogue with this Merse bloke,but surely Gulls fans with half a brain must realise what Nicho did for us (keeping us up) as well as doing it with zero funds, sometimes still playing, coaching,BUS DRIVING,you name it,yet people have bloody short memories,I find this in life,they wasn't to re-write history,or portray things in their own way,Nicho doing what he did was fantastic,and nobody should think otherwise, Gowling had a half decent injury record before he signed for us, remember the decent players Kev brought to the club,he always kept his dignity and never never looked to hide,Owers is shocking,his record is piss poor,Healy only came to us as a favour from Warnock,that's my views,As for next season,we are gonna need what I call streetwise footballers,a lot of teams coming to us will raise their own game as we'll be seen as a "bigboy" of national league south,Owers needs to get it right,but I don't think he will
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Ok, two posts both all about loving KN. Interesting.

Anyway, as you are new, you won't know that people are fed up of the Nicho debate and 99% have rightly moved on.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. He was sacked over 12 months ago and the squad that he put together was a large factor in where we ended up

However, you are quite within your rights to laud him as a legend who could do no wrong. Personally, I can't stand people going on about him like he was some kind of Ferguson/Wenger institution
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

MrTee75 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 17:37 I'm fairly new to this,so not looking for any BS dialogue with this Merse bloke,but surely Gulls fans with half a brain must realise what Nicho did for us (keeping us up) as well as doing it with zero funds, sometimes still playing, coaching,BUS DRIVING,you name it,yet people have bloody short memories,I find this in life,they wasn't to re-write history,or portray things in their own way,Nicho doing what he did was fantastic,and nobody should think otherwise, Gowling had a half decent injury record before he signed for us, remember the decent players Kev brought to the club,he always kept his dignity and never never looked to hide,Owers is shocking,his record is piss poor,Healy only came to us as a favour from Warnock,that's my views,As for next season,we are gonna need what I call streetwise footballers,a lot of teams coming to us will raise their own game as we'll be seen as a "bigboy" of national league south,Owers needs to get it right,but I don't think he will
Yep you're right, you are new to this, if Merse wants to have dialogue - he will, make no bones about it, you are entitled to your opinion so fight your bloody corner if you believe in what you're saying then stick to your guns & stop being a wimp .
Anyway welcome, a different perspective on things is always welcome.
MrTee75
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MrTee75 »

Top stuff,I'm no wimp!,just can't get into an argument with someone I don't know,plus I have to many arguments with my Mrs,I really don't need another one!!.Think it's the end of season feeling,and just reflecting on what Nicho did for us,and now we have Owers at the helm,and it's looks bleak,I hope I'm wrong,and he turns it around,but no seen or heard anything to suggest it will,Nicho had far more challenging times on his plate,yet he kept us safe,did he sign a few crocks?,no doubt about it,not niave to think otherwise,but given all the shit he had to deal with,to keep us at that level was a bloody miracle,that's how I see it.Anyhow,perhaps I need to move on from the subject,Does anyone have any credible news on the players who are thinking over their deals,I want to hear positive news,we need Dorel next season, that'll be huge, McGinty I could take or leave personally,esp after last season gobbing off to pop-side,he's well above his station,very average,I rated Alex Davey over him all day long.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

MrTee75 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 17:37…... surely Gulls fans with half a brain must realise what Nicho did for us (keeping us up) as well as doing it with zero funds, sometimes still playing, coaching,BUS DRIVING,you name it,yet people have bloody short memories,
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Such a good manager he's still out of work eh?
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Spoken as one of merses finest disciples Teigngull.
Good post Mr Tee . A sentiment of KN shared by many but be warned that you are now on the anti Nicho radar and expect bile to spurt your way but I’m sure you will eat with it appropriately.
MrTee75
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MrTee75 »

Nice one,you know what they say about empty vessels?,bring it on,I've been going up to Plainmoor on and off since I was a kid and we played under Dave Webb in all blue,I've seen a lot,so I believe I'm in a good position to give an opinion, people out there talking smack about Nicho have very short minds, reckon if you got him on a one to one, he'd tell you just what he had to deal with,after his stint as manager I'm hardly surprised he's taken a good break, he'll get back into the game, sometimes you have to go backwards to move forward,
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 20:04 Spoken as one of merses finest disciples Teigngull.
Good post Mr Tee . A sentiment of KN shared by many but be warned that you are now on the anti Nicho radar and expect bile to spurt your way but I’m sure you will eat with it appropriately.
Whether people are anti him or not, what is the point in bringing him up all the bloody time.

Such a pointless debate. He was sacked.

Whether Owers is shit or not , doesn't change the fact the he's gone and isn't coming back.

For some reason, he seems to have a bizarre cult following. If he was as good as some say, why has he been out of work since?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 17:19Just on one other point of issue. You say "let's just leave the manager to recruit and make a judgement once the season is under way". Was that not one of your primary gripes in allowing Nicho to do the same last season. Just asking the question.
So many unfit for purpose summer signings; so little attention paid to their physical preparation; the club had to wait until their fourteenth game to record a win ~ and that a gimmee against a late arriving Maidenhead United side.

In the first game under the current management it was observed the players were 'breathing out of their arses' after twenty minutes; that's how bad it was.

That's what last season's recruitment did for the club!
https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/t ... sults.html
Last edited by merse btpir on 02 Jun 2018, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

If this has turned into a thread about ex managers then can I just say I was very disappointed when Bruce Rioch was sacked.
TUST No 278