Good luck to Exeter City

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Totally agree with Scott. I'm gloating and always will. Levels don't make rivalries, history does, end of.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

The main people celebrating will be the licensees in the city of Exeter - whilst they are generally supportive of their local club they hate a visit from Argyle!
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 29 May 2018, 09:36 Totally agree with Scott. I'm gloating and always will. Levels don't make rivalries, history does, end of.
This.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Kernowgull wrote: 29 May 2018, 08:02 Actually it's Weston Super Mare , 79 miles away, compared to 106 to Truro
That's going by the Exeter-Okehampton route surely; approx 80 miles from Newton Abbot via Plymouth if memory serves me correctly, so say 86(?) from Plainmoor to Treyew Road.

Anyway, we're splitting hairs and I'm of the persuasion that City are no more bothered about us these days than we are about Dawlish Town who no longer exist; if we want that rivary back then we bloody well have to earn it and stop day dreaming about something that no longer exists either.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Merse, the rivalry doesn't die because one team descends a few divisions, the sentiment is always the same, ask Millwall fans who their rivals are, it sure as hell isn't Brentford or QPR ;-)
Dave

Der Landwirt Freunde

Post by Der Landwirt Freunde »

Three things:

1) Like it or not, Argyle have always been Exeter's main rivals. I don't think most Grecians give us much thought these days beyond sympathy.

2) We're not and never have been Spurs, Arsenal or Millwall.

3) The best analogy for our rivalry with Exeter would be Yeovil and Weymouth. We're Weymouth.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Exactly; some people live in the real world others are deluded enough to see Torquay United as a 'great' club, iconic club and a mighty force driving civic pride.....I grew out of that fifty years ago.

We're now a less significant than ever little club with barely one and a half thousand bothered enough to turn up and support and barely more than a few dozen locals travelling the country in support of the team reliant on a number of exiles who regularly boost those numbers so that idiots like Dave Thomas can wax lyrical and delude his readers and podcast listeners that a mighty army leaves Devon on a regular basis to turn the motorways of the country a brighter shade of yellow whilst Guy Henderson laps his rhetoric up like an ever faithful dog with it's tongue hanging out.

Like the previous manager, they're more likely to be seen in a single mini bus than a mighty fleet of charabancs going off to conquer the nation.

Don't be a clown; wake up and smell the coffee!
Last edited by merse btpir on 30 May 2018, 09:41, edited 2 times in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

We could be playing in the SDL, it doesn't change the fact that our rivals are Exeter. Bemoaning that fact and calling people clowns doesn't change the odour of the coffee......
Dave

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

There may be some TUFC fans whom see Exeter as our rivals but we are so irrelevant to them now, that they don’t see us in that way.

There was a time when I really couldn’t stand Exeter and took enormous pleasure from their misfortune and when they lost games. This has dissolved over recent years when they have become a progressive club with a good culture based around the development of youth and playing attractive football.

It is the Neanderthal element that is going to blow this apart for them, by being shortsighted when they served Tisdale his notice. Somewhat ironic that their own fans will eventually be the authors of their downfall and the irony could be delicious as I can perhaps get back to enjoying their demise and disappointments rather than the respect and admiration I currently have for them.

As for Plymouth - don’t get me started - I can’t abide them and the patronising attitude of plenty of their fans basking on the supposed glory that robbing local businesses gets you when you only repay 0.7p of every £1 you owe, vexes me even more.

However, deep down in the NLS, both Plymouth and Exeter are now so far removed from them that seriously considering them as rivals is daft. You’re only rivals when a feeling is mutual and there is no way that either seriously see us as rivals anymore.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

hector wrote: 30 May 2018, 11:55 There may be some TUFC fans whom see Exeter as our rivals but we are so irrelevant to them now, that they don’t see us in that way.

There was a time when I really couldn’t stand Exeter and took enormous pleasure from their misfortune and when they lost games. This has dissolved over recent years when they have become a progressive club with a good culture based around the development of youth and playing attractive football.

It is the Neanderthal element that is going to blow this apart for them, by being shortsighted when they served Tisdale his notice. Somewhat ironic that their own fans will eventually be the authors of their downfall and the irony could be delicious as I can perhaps get back to enjoying their demise and disappointments rather than the respect and admiration I currently have for them.

As for Plymouth - don’t get me started - I can’t abide them and the patronising attitude of plenty of their fans basking on the supposed glory that robbing local businesses gets you when you only repay 0.7p of every £1 you owe, vexes me even more.

However, deep down in the NLS, both Plymouth and Exeter are now so far removed from them that seriously considering them as rivals is daft. You’re only rivals when a feeling is mutual and there is no way that either seriously see us as rivals anymore.
:goodpost:

Why would Exeter fans even contemplate us being a rival. We have never ben their "main" rival anyway. Its us being so desperate to hang on to something. Truro or WSM it is guys, reality beginning to sink in :)
TUST MEMBER
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

hector wrote: 30 May 2018, 11:55

It is the Neanderthal element that is going to blow this apart for them, by being shortsighted when they served Tisdale his notice.

Neanderthals? Really?

As far as I am aware the trust wanted to renegotiate the onerous terms of his contract (a 2-year rolling deal on a huge sum - rumoured to be over £200,000 per annum).

He wasn't interested in this (which he was well within his rights not to be) so they served the notice that the contract stipulated and informed him they would offer him employment under new more manageable terms when this notice expired.

The very real fear among their fanbase was that it would cost them nearly half a million quid to pay him off if they ever wanted to end his tenure, something that they almost certainly would never be in a position to afford without jeopardising the future of the club.

No one man is bigger than the club and the mistake was in ever giving him such a ridiculous contract in the first place.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Our rivals are Exeter and that's a fact whether they consider us worthy or not.
Dave

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Der Landwirt Freunde wrote: 30 May 2018, 08:20 Three things:

1) Like it or not, Argyle have always been Exeter's main rivals. I don't think most Grecians give us much thought these days beyond sympathy.

2) We're not and never have been Spurs, Arsenal or Millwall.

3) The best analogy for our rivalry with Exeter would be Yeovil and Weymouth. We're Weymouth.
I used Spurs/Arsenal purely as an example, not that we are/were/ever will be them. There are many Leeds fans out there who consider Man U to be their biggest rivals. They’ve not played in the same league for years, but the desire to see United fail is still there.

If, and this is a big if, Spurs or Arsenal were relegated from the league and ended up not playing against each other, do you think the rivalry would end? Of course it wouldn’t. The dislike for the club would still be there regardless.

We may be in totally different leagues, but I see both the greasers and the Gargs as rivals, and delight in their losses (when they happen) in the same way that I am sure there are supporters of both of those clubs who are loving the fact that we are struggling so much at this time.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 May 2018, 14:02 Our rivals are Exeter and that's a fact whether they consider us worthy or not.
Only in your own head, Dave!!! 😬
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Along with the majority of the fans.
Dave