Reserve Team smokescreen?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Reserve Team smokescreen?

Post by Jack »

Did the Club ever intend to enter a team in the South Western League or was it just intended as a good news story when it was first put forward. At the time it didn't look like there would be a cat in hells chance of getting in because of the normal promotion and relegation with the SWPL's own feeder leagues so it would have been easy to say that we had tried to get into the league but failed.
In the end with unexpected resignations and failed promotion bids there was a place for us but we have turned it down. Should we be surprised or was the reserve side always a myth to get supporters on board?
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

No!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Personally don't see this as a smokescreen, I never saw this as a good news story either, a reserve team is not with out cost, other than helping players on a recovery programme from an injury I don't see the point of having a reserve side in the SWPL.

As many know, I spent 10 years working in the PYL, I know managers and coach's that came up through the age groups with me from others clubs that have gone on the work in the SDL and SWPL, although chose not to myself, preferring to get my life back. Also, I have continued to follow the progress of players I worked with directly and those I knew personally from other clubs, who are either at the top of the SDL some have gone on into the SWPL.

Whilst I'm no expert, I'm not without any knowledge, I know a fair bit about this level of football. The standard at this level is not even close to being good enough, if the club is looking to develop young players with potential.

I used to work voluntary for TUFC development centres under Stuart Henderson, I can tell you that the top end of the SDL and SWPL, have a fair number of young players released from our former youth set up by Geoff Harrop and Matt Williams deemed not of the correct standard.

So what would be the point of bringing young players to the club or bringing players through the current youth system to then put them at that exact same level, of players now in their early 20's the club had previously let go, as the belief they were not good enough.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 26 May 2018, 08:51 The standard at this level is not even close to being good enough, if the club is looking to develop young players with potential.
I used to work voluntary for TUFC development centres under Stuart Henderson, I can tell you that the top end of the SDL and SWPL, have a fair number of young players released from our former youth set up by Geoff Harrop and Matt Williams deemed not of the correct standard.
So what would be the point of bringing young players to the club or bringing players through the current youth system to then put them at that exact same level, of players now in their early 20's the club had previously let go, as the belief they were not good enough.
I totally agree with you Dave!

Looking at some of the grounds it seems a million miles away from any sort of league that would benefit a professional club in my opinion. Far better if there is a place in the National U19 Alliance which attracts clubs from the Premier League, Football League and the National League System Steps 1-5. The objective of the competition is to provide a high-quality experience for 16-19 year olds both on the pitch and through nationally recognised educational qualifications.

This is where the club have fallen down in not putting in place a recognised educational package in the form of a PASE Academy which they urgently need to do if they are going to be serious about this.

**** about on Windmill Hill and Coombe Valley with club linesmen and padding the side out with players who are never going to be fit for purpose, is patently unprofessional and not the way forward!
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Almost inevitably my original post on this thread became an issue about whether or not the Club should run a reserve side.
I always thought that it was a non starter especially after being relegated but the way the Club has conducted itself in its dealings with the SWPL in recent days as detailed in the SWPL Forum thread looks shambolic. The General Manager appears to be very indecisive which doesn't augur well for the coming season because by the time he's made his mind up about something the opportunity will have disappeared.

http://www.swpleague.co.uk/SouthWestPen ... divisions/
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Jack wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 08:31 Almost inevitably my original post on this thread became an issue about whether or not the Club should run a reserve side.
The General Manager appears to be very indecisive which doesn't augur well for the coming season because by the time he's made his mind up about something the opportunity will have disappeared.

http://www.swpleague.co.uk/SouthWestPen ... divisions/
As is usual, Geoff Harrop comes across as a clueless, out of his depth buffoon, whilst this man is involved in the day to day running of the club we have little or no chance of reviving our fortunes, it is so bloody obvious it's a wonder anyone would do business with TUFC under his remarkable ineptitude.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

One has to wonder how the Fatman can justify his salary,we could get a prolific and proven goalscorer in for the kind of money he's taking out of the club.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com