Who stays? Who goes?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I think once we have to start explaining and excusing what Merse has said we really are in trouble. ! The man runs a very good website but just loves and lives off his deliberately moronic comments. The real problems occur when he convinces even himself and starts to believe them!
Rusty8unny

Post by Rusty8unny »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 08 May 2018, 16:14 As usual, Bitter Billy Big Mouth Merse demonstrates what an ignorant buffoon he is.
Tell us Mighty Merse, what medals should Young have won with Torquay United?

Of course, it is obvious that the reason why Young has won nothing (other than the respect of the fans who have seen him play and don't share Merse's predilection for pompous pontification) is entirely due to his own inadequacies, coupled with those of the former manager known as Nicho, as it can have nothing to do with the failings of the other members of the team: that must be why Young received the Player of the Year award - again.
Summer must be a time of drought for you Merse, with little opportunity to dazzle your fawning followers with displays of your erudite wit and sharply incisive critical appraisals, or do you move your soapbox to Hyde Park Corner?
**** me , someone's swallowed a dictionary.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Guildford Gull wrote: 08 May 2018, 18:31 I think Young will struggle at League 2 level, particularly with the physical side of the game.
I'd be careful, beware the wrath of Sit on Dave & his fawning followers , 'Arry seems to be 'numero uno' @ this time but no doubt others will show their hand soon.
Anyways, I wish Luke Young all the very best in his new adventures, thanks for the efforts over the last 4 years, but it is a shame some still feel you were too good for us, other than being an integral part of the WORST TEAM EVER to represent Torquay United Association Football Club.
Now let's bring in the 'fit for purpose' players so obviously missing & badly needed to get this wonderful club of ours turned around & heading back upwards.
You never know, we might meet & pass our former 'legend' going the other way !
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Might not be realistic, but I would welcome Jim Kellerman as a replacement for Young
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Teigngull wrote: 08 May 2018, 20:02
Now let's bring in the 'fit for purpose' players so obviously missing & badly needed...
If sources are to believed then a player is already being lined up to replace Young. He is a players 'player' held in high esteem within NLS. Plays for a team who reached this seasons 'Play Off' and is the metronome of this legendary NLS team. Nobody in the NLS can get close to him as his sheer physicality and balance is just too much for teams to deal with. His blend of formidable strength and dribbling ability is simply unmatched, and as a result opposition players are dumbfounded when pitted against the veteran midfielder. He is both a midfield enforcer and a ball-carrying maestro; which is proved by his ridiculous numbers for both dribbles and tackles during this play off season.

The question is will this creative midfield genius be ready to snub our local rivals to join Torquay. If this be the case then I am sure you will all give a rousing welcome to the return of Ben Harding.

As someone earlier mentioned 'Young' is "Not irreplaceable..."
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

You're such a tease!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

nickbrod wrote: 08 May 2018, 21:24 You're such a tease!
One ought to be careful of what one wishes for :~D

Whoever we bring in to replace Young over the next few weeks, I do expect as a prerequisite, a pre-induction full assessment of the players fitness with our physio so that we...... hang on a cotton picking moment ..... we dont have a physio!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

You're just mad ......about saffron, Donovan.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If Young is such a good player you have to wonder why he has repeatedly failed to impose himself in games at this level.

If he can get a league club then good luck to him, no one will begrudge him taking that chance. However I don't think that there is any guarantee that he will make a success of it at all.

He might be in a better team but he is going to be up against some better players so the jury is still out for me. Personally I don't think that the comment about playing in the NLS is warranted particularly as he has played in a team that was relegated this year (and nearly got relegated both times in the previous two years)

As for being fitter than ever - well for a player who has porked out in the time he has been here I'm not sure what fitness work he has been doing.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

monkeyboy wrote: 08 May 2018, 20:45 Might not be realistic, but I would welcome Jim Kellerman as a replacement for Young
Kellerman informed Aldershot manager Gary Waddock that he wished to further his career with another club. I'm not saying its not possible but rather unlikely that he would drop to NLS football to further his career with Torquay United.

However I see Northern Ireland international Josh McQuiod has been released by Aldershot. When he returned to Luton after his loan spell with us, Owers did say he may work on re-signing the player. So there is one to watch

Tommy O'Sullivan only 23 and released by Colchester might be one to pursue (if not other takers) following his loan spell with us.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 08 May 2018, 23:41, edited 2 times in total.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

MellowYellow wrote: 08 May 2018, 23:00 Kellerman informed Gary Waddock that he wished to further his career with another club. I'm not saying its not possible but rather unlikely that he would drop to NLS football to further his career with Torquay United.
Agree re Kellerman. I thought James Rowe, also released, looked like their best player when we were away to them early in the season. Still only 26. Personally, I thought McQuoid was hopeless for us, but he played a few matches for Aldershot after that, and as you say, Owers clearly rates him.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

sgf wrote: 08 May 2018, 17:23 Why don't you just block him, he's clearly your nemesis! He really gets under your skin doesn't he?

I don't think Merse was implying he should have won medals at Torquay. Merely the fact that he thinks he's too good for the NLS

Just saying.

IMO he's mad if he doesn't go. Playing with better players will only improve him and wish him all the best.

Merse's opinion is clearly that he's not good enough. Can you disagree with a post without getting personal?
Why block Merse, when he provides the kind of entertainment that Alf Garnett used to ? Merse certainly isn't my nemesis - I don't care enough about him for that to happen - and as for getting under my skin, it's quite the opposite: "Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, Little fleas have littler fleas and so ad infinitum ..." - Merse is the Big flea in this context.
Of course I can disagree with a post without getting personal but the empty vessels that I lampoon are the first ones to bandy insults, which makes them fair game for the same treatment. Why is Young called "Billy Big Bollocks" just because he feels that he can play at a higher level than Torquay are capable of achieving as a team ? He's not exactly claiming that Man City have head-hunted him, but Merse has to have a dig because he doesn't like Young, so I think that makes Merse a fair target. You are entitled to your interpretation of the meaning of Merse's words, just as I am entitled to my interpretation. Young has won trophies at Torquay - which Merse would realise - so the jibe about medals is clearly meant to be derogatory.
I do agree with your sentiments about Young's destiny and I agree that he is "Not irreplaceable......" but, nothing personal, I do not agree with your comments regarding Merse:

Just saying!
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 09 May 2018, 01:48 Why block Merse, when he provides the kind of entertainment that Alf Garnett used to ? Merse certainly isn't my nemesis - I don't care enough about him for that to happen - and as for getting under my skin, it's quite the opposite: "Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, Little fleas have littler fleas and so ad infinitum ..." - Merse is the Big flea in this context.
Of course I can disagree with a post without getting personal but the empty vessels that I lampoon are the first ones to bandy insults, which makes them fair game for the same treatment. Why is Young called "Billy Big Bollocks" just because he feels that he can play at a higher level than Torquay are capable of achieving as a team ? He's not exactly claiming that Man City have head-hunted him, but Merse has to have a dig because he doesn't like Young, so I think that makes Merse a fair target. You are entitled to your interpretation of the meaning of Merse's words, just as I am entitled to my interpretation. Young has won trophies at Torquay - which Merse would realise - so the jibe about medals is clearly meant to be derogatory.
I do agree with your sentiments about Young's destiny and I agree that he is "Not irreplaceable......" but, nothing personal, I do not agree with your comments regarding Merse:

Just saying!
Eloquently put.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Guildford Gull wrote: 08 May 2018, 18:31 I think Young will struggle at League 2 level, particularly with the physical side of the game.
I would disagree. With better players around him and better refereeing I think he will actually find it easier (as perverse as that sounds). He is a good footballer but that has a tendancy to get lost in the hurly burly of non-league football.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 May 2018, 15:34 Yes we're obviously best off losing the one player we have who is interesting league clubs. Billy big bollocks has to be the most ill fitting label of a player I've ever seen.
Yep . losing our best player is never good news especially one that’s given 100 per cent regardless of his or our situation.
Owers is going to have to have the phone stuck to his ear if he is going to get anything close to decent in replacing Youngy.
Not holding my breath though as I imagine he sounds like the talking clock and folks would just hang up at the sound of his dulcid tones.
Tense times ahead and despite my reservations about him as a manager , I like most people want our team to make us proud , and therefore for him to succeed.