Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Rusty8unny

Post by Rusty8unny »

The relevance is GO is always going to be compared to KN.
KN's 'remit' was to keep us in the VNL (premier), mission accomplished, albeit, with 2 seasons of almighty struggles + a close season full of talk of " there will be no fitter team in the VNL, than us " , that proved to be what ? Well quite frankly, an embarrassing comment to make.
A close - pre season of struggling to find a half decent striker, dishing out 2 year deals to players who had little,or no diligence, afforded on them by our HoR (DH).
Flipping tractor tyres as a video stunt, playing the kit man in a pre season friendly, lottery winning decisions ? I think not.
Ex players ( especially, one who is regarded as a Legend -playing wise)should never be afforded the 'luxury' of managing the club he openly admits to supporting & has the utmost affection for, as his first managing job.
It's these sorts of things that went on that make it relevant.
GO, according to some, who more than likely haven't a bloody clue what sort of person he is, is a dour character, uninspiring, clueless etc etc.
Yes yes yes, It does get to me to see us at the lowest level we've ever played at as a fully fledged pro club, but we have no right to be in the EFL, nobody does, Coventry city- lge 2, too bigger a club for that level, Blackburn Rogers, Pompey, Charlton athletic tut tut tut, all far too big for that level. Accrington Stanley " Champions" lge 2, Burton Albion playing in the Championship & Jesus Christ Bournemouth audaciously plying their trade in the ' Premier league ' & to cap it off , having the nerve to stay there ! how dare they,how very dare they, any how I digress.
I am very happy to put th KN thing to bed, but I reserve the right to challenge anyone, no matter who they think they are, or how vainglorious they are.
This club will take some turning around, it won't happen overnight, & to think GO would turn it in less than a season is nothing short of delusion, GO has got another go at it, let's see what he comes up with, he may very well fail, well we're used to that so it wouldn't come as a major shock would it ?
But, sometimes, dropping as low as seems possible, is a blessing in disguise, Aston Villa Div 3 1970's, Sheffield United 19781 div 4, Wolves div 4 1988 need I say any more ?
Get behind your club no matter who's manager , they come & go as regular as Christmas, unless you strike lucky as those b'stards up the road have with Tisdale, & they still went ahead & served notice on his contract ! Some people just don't realise how feckin fortunate they are, do they.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Rusty8unny wrote: 07 May 2018, 05:03 The relevance is GO is always going to be compared to KN.
KN's 'remit' was to keep us in the VNL (premier), mission accomplished, albeit, with 2 seasons of almighty struggles + a close season full of talk of " there will be no fitter team in the VNL, than us " , that proved to be what ? Well quite frankly, an embarrassing comment to make.
A close - pre season of struggling to find a half decent striker, dishing out 2 year deals to players who had little,or no diligence, afforded on them by our HoR (DH).
Flipping tractor tyres as a video stunt, playing the kit man in a pre season friendly, lottery winning decisions ? I think not.
Ex players ( especially, one who is regarded as a Legend -playing wise)should never be afforded the 'luxury' of managing the club he openly admits to supporting & has the utmost affection for, as his first managing job.
It's these sorts of things that went on that make it relevant.
GO, according to some, who more than likely haven't a bloody clue what sort of person he is, is a dour character, uninspiring, clueless etc etc.
Yes yes yes, It does get to me to see us at the lowest level we've ever played at as a fully fledged pro club, but we have no right to be in the EFL, nobody does, Coventry city- lge 2, too bigger a club for that level, Blackburn Rogers, Pompey, Charlton athletic tut tut tut, all far too big for that level. Accrington Stanley " Champions" lge 2, Burton Albion playing in the Championship & Jesus Christ Bournemouth audaciously plying their trade in the ' Premier league ' & to cap it off , having the nerve to stay there ! how dare they,how very dare they, any how I digress.
I am very happy to put th KN thing to bed, but I reserve the right to challenge anyone, no matter who they think they are, or how vainglorious they are.
This club will take some turning around, it won't happen overnight, & to think GO would turn it in less than a season is nothing short of delusion, GO has got another go at it, let's see what he comes up with, he may very well fail, well we're used to that so it wouldn't come as a major shock would it ?
But, sometimes, dropping as low as seems possible, is a blessing in disguise, Aston Villa Div 3 1970's, Sheffield United 19781 div 4, Wolves div 4 1988 need I say any more ?
Get behind your club no matter who's manager , they come & go as regular as Christmas, unless you strike lucky as those b'stards up the road have with Tisdale, & they still went ahead & served notice on his contract ! Some people just don't realise how feckin fortunate they are, do they.
:goodpost: 'vainglorious' ,ha ha ha, I love it. :lol:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Rusty8unny wrote: 07 May 2018, 05:03 The relevance is GO is always going to be compared to KN.
Ex players ( especially, one who is regarded as a Legend -playing wise)should never be afforded the 'luxury' of managing the club he openly admits to supporting & has the utmost affection for, as his first managing job. It's these sorts of things that went on that make it relevant.
Exactly!

and now we are almost free of the 'lottery winning' legacy as long as parasites like Gowling, Clarke and Pittman can be got shot of during the summer ~ and I fear that will only come about through negotiated termination of contract packages. These, lazy idle bastards brought in by a delusional novice cost him his job and he should never forget that. I suppose they will join the queue who are getting these 'benefit' fund raising efforts at Plainmoor that have been going on this week once they bugger off.
Rusty8unny wrote: 07 May 2018, 05:03 This club will take some turning around, it won't happen overnight, & to think GO would turn it in less than a season is nothing short of delusion, GO has got another go at it, let's see what he comes up with, he may very well fail...
Precisely what Owers signed up for as well.

The rot and unprofessionalism took time to eradicate, and I don't give a flying **** whether the players 'like' the manager or not. Frank O'Farrell wasn't exactly on his players' Christmas card list and he got a tune out of the fiddle; and neither was Bruce Rioch and he didn't do too badly either. Generally, players don't like managers who don' pick them unless you're like Gowling, Clarke and Pittman in which case they probably loved Nicholson because he bought into their sicknote preference ~ a bit like Lathrope really who everyone is crying crocodile tears over now ~ a player who decided this club (without Nicholson?) wasn't for him any more and had moved on.....let the Woking fans look after him!

Yes; Owers very well might fail; but he also very well might not given the backing he has from the owner who frankly didn't trust the manager he had inherited when he acquired the club.

I'm more than certain that there are review periods and standards to be achieved throughout next season if the management are to keep their jobs beyond the demands of those standards. THAT is the way to run a football club and THAT is the accepted manner in this day and age. Not having some fans' faux legend bunged a few quid by a dotty old biddy to run the show under no pressure whatsoever to produce the goods beyond the ridiculous 'just keep us up'.

I don't like the connotations of having a person with Clarke Osborne's background and track record owning the club ; but I do welcome a substantial budget, policy of re-generating and re-establishing the infrastructure of the club AND professional standards of achievement being demanded of a manager.....let's see what he achieves.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I don't think Owers will ever be accepted by the fans simply because he was the manager who took us down to the NLS. The only possible way he could gain acceptance is to get us promoted from this division and then lead us back into the EFL, unfortunately pigs don't fly.
Nicholson will play no part whatsoever in the coming season, so you would think he will not be mentioned again, unfortunately I think he will, as a stick with which to beat Owers with. Just as I think mention of a huge budget is being rumoured to provide another stick with which to beat Owers.
I want Owers to succeed simply because he is the manager of Torquay United , however unfortunately I don't think he will, although it doesn't he!p if a sizeable number of members of the fan base are writing him off already.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Having spoken with both Owers and Hedges in recent weeks they know full well that if they don't get the new squad right and importantly start winning games they'll be sacked. Merse's comments above about "review periods and standards to achieve" are on the money.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Re: manager/player relationships

Some managers/coaches are not particularly liked but respected. Others are not liked and not respected. Frank O'Farrell and Bruce Rioch were generally respected by players because of their coaching skills and knowledge of the game.
Owers and Kuhl? We all have differing opinions. I think that they are past their "sell by" date and I can understand why a bright lad like Gowling might be frustrated by them. The ill judged "We're not rubbish anymore" comment from Owers certainly wouldn't have improved his relationship with the players and its not something that Frank O'Farrell or Bruce Rioch would have said - they were both rather more savvy than that.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't hate Nicholson or Owers.

You are right that Nicholson probably cannot be considered a failure because he kept us in the league for two years against all the odds, and under Owers we were relegated.

My opinion is that where Nicholson went wrong is his attitude when he kept us up last season. I do think this "achievement" went to his head and his recruitment in the summer was just appalling and lazy in my view.

His signing of an injury prone veteran keeper on a two year contract was poor in the extreme - particularly when his back up keeper wasn't good enough for the first team!

Contrast this with a keeper like Dorel and you can understand how flawed his thinking actually was.

His lottery winning squad comment just seemed to indicate that Nico genuinely seemed to think that he was better than what he was.

His signings of the likes of Gray and then the useless Fallon - kicked out by Truro ages before were just daft. Talk about straw clutching.

Of course what we don't know is that would he have turned it round had he stayed? - It is possible that he would have got more out of his own signings and perhaps they wouldn't have spent half a season shirking their responsibilities.

Whilst I agree that Owers has failed in his remit one of the main issues has that he has been stuck with signings by the previous manager whom he could not offload.

The likes of Klukowski, Pittman, Gowling, Gosling etc have been a millstone around the managers neck. Look at Klukowski - plonked on the subs bench every week and has had 1 minute of playing time since Owers arrived.

Owers challenged Gosling to produce his talent on the pitch. All he got out of him was fecking off to Gibraltar to play in an international and then coming back and telling everyone how good he was.

He then went sick or injured as soon as he got back and was never picked again!!

If anyone thinks that this situation was a healthy one and ultimately didn't have an impact on our final league position then they are on fantasy island.

Healey (by the way an excellent signing by Owers) indicated that several players "should take a long hard look at themselves" - I guess we could probably all guess which players he might have been referring to.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Being 'just up the road' wonder if any of the 12 players released by Forest Green might be of interest? Sam Russell? Omar Bugiel? Keanu Marsh Brown?
Rusty8unny

Post by Rusty8unny »

nickbrod wrote: 07 May 2018, 13:28 Being 'just up the road' wonder if any of the 12 players released by Forest Green might be of interest? Sam Russell? Omar Bugiel? Keanu Marsh Brown?
Yes let's go for it if they're fit for purpose in this league then these are the types of players we should be after.
But they have to be made aware this club is no longer a place for pussy's & if they want in & are prepared to graft there is a place for them.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

This is the clutching at straws, accept everyone else's rejects approach that has screwed us in the past. Marsh Brown has only played 7 games this season, 6 on loan at Dover. Bugiel has played 26 times, 7 on loan at Bromley. We need fit for purpose players not cast offs, just because they were on the books of an EFL club doesn't mean they are any good.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Just pointing out their availability, not saying we should sign any of them. Luckily neither you nor I are in charge of squad building.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

nickbrod wrote: 07 May 2018, 18:30 Just pointing out their availability, not saying we should sign any of them. Luckily neither you nor I are in charge of squad building.
That's why the all important " fit for purpose " phrase was used by rustingrabbit, or whatever their called, I think !
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think we were all frustrated last season and I believe if we had got the back four right at the start of the season we would have stayed up. We need team players especially at the back I watched Owers side when he was at Bath it was not brilliant but it was organised. I have watched Owers play and Kuhl at Bristol City and I believe they know the game but was disappointed that they did not sort a back four out. At the start of the season they should have this sorted as anyone should know if you let in over 60 goals in a season you know where the problem is.
Lets wait and see.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

The best signing this season why not really a signing at all . Despite Brucie's line in praise of GO " Healey (by the way an excellent signing by Owers) "

The truth is stranger than fiction as recalled on the Herald Express podcast. Neil Warnock phoned up GO and offered him the player out of the blue. There was no scouting of the player at all but just a free gift. Apparently, it was too late in the season to lend a player to a league club so Neil tried to give us a helping hand. The irony is that in the first game he was kept on the bench until the final 10 mins and we only drew versus Solihull Moors.

GO might do well next season as he is getting financial support. However, his man management must be limited because the team looked like they had no unity in the final games, so he needs to sort out his carrot/stick approach to suit this generation of players. At the moment GO will go down in the record books as the worst manager since 1927 as that is the depth we have plunged. It is all very well to say that great clubs have gone down the divisions and ended up in league 1 or 2 and then done well. BUT when you leave league 2 you say goodbye to 700,000 pounds in payments from the FA, premier league etc. Even in Conference South the little money we got via BT TV will be diminished. I am not sure why GI are still pumping money into TUFC as it will be near impossible to make it self sufficient unless we hit gold on the transfer market. More likely, a winning team next season might smooth the noise when they seek planning permission for a housing estate elsewhere in the Bay.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

He is still a signing whatever the circumstances so just as Nicholson signed Fallon then Owers signed Healey.