Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Dave is so bitter and twisted its boring. He is still smarting because his best mate got the boot after four games but is just incapable of comprehending that it was justified.

So his hatred of all things Owers is probably understandable. In fact Owers is the devil incarnate in his eyes and apparently the old bastard also kicked his other mate Gareth Laws out for asking for a day off (apparently)

Mind you he is probably smarting from his other favourite team Eastleigh still going in one direction and that's downwards and now their owner has got bored and pulled the plug we will see what happens there.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Im frankly staggered that yet another post comes around to discussing our previous manager.

All starting to get a bit tedious
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 06 May 2018, 00:35 Dave is so bitter and twisted its boring. He is still smarting because his best mate got the boot after four games but is just incapable of comprehending that it was justified.

So his hatred of all things Owers is probably understandable. In fact Owers is the devil incarnate in his eyes and apparently the old bastard also kicked his other mate Gareth Laws out for asking for a day off (apparently)

Mind you he is probably smarting from his other favourite team Eastleigh still going in one direction and that's downwards and now their owner has got bored and pulled the plug we will see what happens there.
Nice try Terry but as I've already told you, one day Eastleigh would be above us which they now are and I also told you that Owers would be shit, he has been.

Now yet another of the clubs I used to play for are above us in the pyramid. That is how shit we are now, it happened under the watch of Osborne, Harrop and Owers. Do you have faith in them to turn it all around?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

I seem to recall Merse in one of his kinder moments referred to the previous management team as "Dumb and Dumber". Such a term of endearment would be more aptly applied to the two current incumbents. Add a former youth Team Manager who never "discovered" any worthwhile youth players and who owes his current position masquerading as a General Manager to his family ties with the owner and you have a threesome waiting to have their tummies tickled by Mr O. All three are currently earning a living courtesy of the owner and will do his bidding rather than face being unemployed.
Don't raise your hopes for next season because a lot of players will sense the fragility of the current regime and stay away.
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

Im just putting a thought out there i see that micheal poke and joe oastler are playing in the game today what would be the odds on seeing them both back down playing for us they might have been on trial with us while they are down this way i know poke is still a free agent however oastler is at oxford city in the conference south however his contract is up at the end of this season.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Northampton gull wrote: 06 May 2018, 16:46 Im just putting a thought out there i see that micheal poke and joe oastler are playing in the game today what would be the odds on seeing them both back down playing for us they might have been on trial with us while they are down this way i know poke is still a free agent however oastler is at oxford city in the conference south however his contract is up at the end of this season.
Poke is more injury prone than Clarke. So best leave that deal out
Lucy
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 06 May 2018, 18:15 Poke is more injury prone than Clarke. So best leave that deal out
Yes i agree poke is very injury proned however i would be happy if we re signed joe oastler
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Sorry we need fresh young (experienced) talent not past players.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

nickbrod wrote: 06 May 2018, 20:38 Sorry we need fresh young (experienced) talent not past players.
:goodpost: agree. We need players that will fight tooth and nail. Apparently we have a championship budget next season, so if that's the case don't re-employ ex players.
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

In answer to your question - no I wouldn't have any faith in Harrop and co turning this around at all.

That said every team reaches their level and given that Truro made the play offs this year there should be the bare minimum requirement that we can equal that next year.

It seems quite ridiculous to me that we could potentially be two divisions below Boreham Wood next year.

As for Owers well I don't know. I am not too bothered about his past record with Bath and Forest Green to be honest. No manager has ever got Bath out of the Conference South and he was manager at Forest Green the first year they went full time professional.

They were minnows at that time and not under the control of moneybags Vince so I wouldn't have expected any manager to have done a lot better with them.

When Owers was assistant manager at Aldershot they achieved their highest ever league position.

I fully accept that he will have to be successful next year cause if he fails he will become the worst the manager since Eddie May.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

sgf wrote: 06 May 2018, 00:48 Im frankly staggered that yet another post comes around to discussing our previous manager.

All starting to get a bit tedious
Why do you find it staggering ? He is an integral part of why we're where we are right now.
This club has been in decline for many a year , not just because CO has inherited the club through the previous incumbents defaulting on a loan they thought was going to be easily repayable
You cannot forget the past, if that's what you want to do, well that's ok but don't for one minute have a pop at the very people who want to keep it relevant.
I suppose 1914-18 & '39-45' is tedious is it ? & if you feel that is no comparison, then how about 1966 ? Tedious & boring ?
Some people, inc me, cannot & will not put the KN era to bed, even our former CEO was against the appointment of KN,seven though he held him in high regard ( likewise I do, as a fine full back ).
We are a long standing football club with a 'history' good & bad, you just can't cherry pick the best bits & bury your head in the sand when the bits that are uncomfortable reading come up.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Kev’s remit was to keep us in the league. He managed to do that twice.

He was successful in that regard, however was not a success in managing to build a team that was going to get us promoted. In the two seasons in charge we struggled in and around the bottom of the table.
Therefore he is not a “good” manager in that sense.

Whilst we don’t know Owers remit, I can imagine relegation wasn’t it. I can imagine a win percentage of 26% wasn’t it. He failed to build a team to fight against relegation and has led us into our lowest ever league position.
Therefore, in my opinion, he is not a good manager.

Furthermore, I believe Owers should be sacked, mainly for the above reasons, but also because I have little confidence in him getting us out of this league.

Of course I want us to be successful, and I want/demand promotion next season, especially if we are still full time and have a “massive” budget.
If Owers does that, I will be happy to say I was wrong - but I can’t see him becoming a good manager in two months.

Time will tell I guess.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Promotion should be his remit, and if he cannot achieve that he should go. However I doubt he has a "massive" budget. I suspect that talk of a £1 million budget includes the running of the entire club, not just the playing side.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 06 May 2018, 22:54 In answer to your question - no I wouldn't have any faith in Harrop and co turning this around at all.

That said every team reaches their level and given that Truro made the play offs this year there should be the bare minimum requirement that we can equal that next year.

It seems quite ridiculous to me that we could potentially be two divisions below Boreham Wood next year.

As for Owers well I don't know. I am not too bothered about his past record with Bath and Forest Green to be honest. No manager has ever got Bath out of the Conference South and he was manager at Forest Green the first year they went full time professional.

They were minnows at that time and not under the control of moneybags Vince so I wouldn't have expected any manager to have done a lot better with them.

When Owers was assistant manager at Aldershot they achieved their highest ever league position.

I fully accept that he will have to be successful next year cause if he fails he will become the worst the manager since Eddie May.
There's something in that, every team has its level. Obviously we're below the level we should be at but it's a direct result of being run like an NLS outfit that we find ourselves where we are. This is and always has been my problem. I'm not a Nicholson fan at all, what I am is someone who realises his tenure for exactly what it was and on that basis I'll never consider him a failure. Gary Owers has been a failure in that his remit was to turn our fortunes around and make us a force in the division. He failed spectacularly and while there may be excuses he doesn't have the depth of excuses that should be afforded to Nicholson. Whatever the merits of the decision to make him manager at the time the person that wanted him had put her own money into the club and had more right than us to make her choice. The same goes for Owers. He had enough backing to turn this club around, he didn't. Am I happy to see him given the chance to build his own squad? No not really, he has never been a successful manager in the past at any level. I'll support my club no matter what level we play at, I'll support us no matter how much we lose week after week. What I'm fed up with is watching a team that has no hunger, no passion for the club. I don't see Owers creating that as long as he has a hole in his arse, he just isn't that kind of character. We're stuck with him obviously, I'll support him and the team on the pitch but he has a lot to prove and I have no confidence in him succeeding. Happy to put the Nicholson thing to bed but also happy to defend someone who had the passion and desire I wish our current players would show.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Teigngull wrote: 06 May 2018, 23:59 Why do you find it staggering ? He is an integral part of why we're where we are right now.
This club has been in decline for many a year , not just because CO has inherited the club through the previous incumbents defaulting on a loan they thought was going to be easily repayable
You cannot forget the past, if that's what you want to do, well that's ok but don't for one minute have a pop at the very people who want to keep it relevant.
I suppose 1914-18 & '39-45' is tedious is it ? & if you feel that is no comparison, then how about 1966 ? Tedious & boring ?
Some people, inc me, cannot & will not put the KN era to bed, even our former CEO was against the appointment of KN,seven though he held him in high regard ( likewise I do, as a fine full back ).
We are a long standing football club with a 'history' good & bad, you just can't cherry pick the best bits & bury your head in the sand when the bits that are uncomfortable reading come up.
Well how far do you want to go back because it goes way further back than his appointment.

He may well be relevent to you but he isn't to half the topics he pops up in. If he wasn't an ex player he wouldn't be getting half the airtime

Everyone needs to move on - what is relevant is the future. Not putting the KN era to bed isn't going to change what happened nor where we find ourselves.