Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I don't think the medical staff are still at the club. Judging from comments on BTPIR and the way he waved to the fans at the end of the game it seems that Gareth Law has left.

No idea of the reasons behind this but I am sure someone will enlighten us.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Owers wanted him gone when he asked for a few days off to complete his degree.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Football management is a funny old business. There isn't just one way of doing it that will guarantee success. No doubt Nicholson and Owers have a very different approach to it. But, like say Paul Tisdale and Steve Evans, both of whom have enjoyed successful careers, one is about to become the longest serving manager at the same club throughout the League, the other has always been in demand, but is largely despised by fans of opposing teams. As people, you would be hard pushed to find two individuals whose characters were further apart, but nevertheless they both do the same job .... just in a very different way! Chalk and cheese, Mourinho and Klopp - different ways of doing things, but all ultimately trying to achieve the same thing - winning football matches.

Nicholson clearly would have enjoyed a better relationship with most of the players in that dressing room than Owers, but whether that is such a good thing or not is open to debate. It can certainly work for you on occasions and the last couple of months of the Great Escape 2 was a fine example of that .... but by the same token our Greatest ever Manager - Frank O'Farrell - was, by all accounts, a strict disciplinarian, who I very much doubt ever spent time in the company of his players outside of the training ground or the dressing room during his time here.

Time will tell whether Owers has what it takes to be a successful Manager .....
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Steve Evans is also despised by many of the fans of the teams he actually managed too! Not just the opposition.

Mansfield fans hated his attitude. Constantly berating officials and swearing on the touchline and moaning about the opposition. That's not to mention him being allowed to spend a fortune on a side hotly tipped to win the league by a country mile yet he then leaves them in the shit and struggling outside the play offs and buggers off to Peterborough.

There he declares that it has always been a dream of his to manage Peterborough!

Make no mistake. Whether he's at your club or at another. Evans is pretty much universally hated.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 07:26 Owers wanted him gone when he asked for a few days off to complete his degree.
Never that quite unbelievable. I'm assuming this degree is related to his work at the club and not say modern art !!!
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Quote from Harrop in the National League article in SNW's post:

“It has been important for us to find the individuals who we think can adopt our plan for sustainable success and can bring the talent, experience and contacts that are key for [highlight=yellow]a club wanting to climb [/highlight]and top the National League. These guys tick all the boxes for us."

[highlight=yellow]He takes over the Vanarama National League side who are currently bottom of the table[/highlight], he leaves Bath City who sit ninth in the Vanarama National League South."

I suppose he has completed the first part of that quote - we did finish 3rd from bottom and we were bottom when he took over - so we did climb the table !!!!!!! :whistle: ;-)
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Love this from Alan Devonshire .....

https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk ... omley.html

Perhaps Gary Owers should try it!!! =D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 22:53 The way that Owers , in fact any manager, is going to get onside with the supporters is to produce a winning team. Everything else, such as waving to the fans etc, is just bullshit.
Presumably Owers next season will be given target of getting promoted by osborne. That is what Owers is paid to do, if he achieves that the fans will be happy, if not they will be angry no matter how many times he waves at them.
Totally agree. Having a showdown with angry fans who weren't going to listen to word he said, putting the stewards in a position were by they would have to, have contained a situation isn't going to win fans over, more likely get him in hot water with the saftey officer.

As you say, fans care about results, win games your a hero, lose them everyone hates you. Stating the obvious I know, next seasons going one, of two ways.

At the top chasing promotion 2,000 crowds majority happy, no where near, if not sacked, Owers needing a body guard to get in and out of Plainmoor.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Why on earth would he want to have a confrontation with a few numpties spoiling for a fight. No doubt these were the same morons who kicked off against North Ferriby on the last day of last season.

Whilst we had more to celebrate that day it didn't stop them causing trouble. Being relegated is just an excuse.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think if you ask questions in the right places Gareth Laws or the medical staff at Torquay were refused access to look at players before they were signed by Nicholson.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

arcadia wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 23:18 I think if you ask questions in the right places Gareth Laws or the medical staff at Torquay were refused access to look at players before they were signed by Nicholson.
So why feckin sign them then & mores to the point why give them 2 year contracts ?
Oh well it doesn't matter, poor little Lord fauntleroy wasn t very experienced at it was he, so he was bound to make the odd slip up in signings e.g Pittman, Clarke, Gowling, Chaney,Fallon etc etc etc, does it seem it only happens here at TUFC ? You'd think not, but I don't know now.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

What a difference a day makes, 24 Gary Owers

I'd prefer Zero Owers 😩
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

A zero Owers contract.

They get a bad press but sounds good to me!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Cometh the Ower cometh the man! On a more serious note, just wonder what went on regarding Gareth Laws? Did he overstep marks or did the club act in a bizarre and stupid manner?
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Definitely the latter - a terrible way.