Great appointment.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Just because Owers has been shite in no way proves that Nicholson could have got us out of the shit either.
Next season it is all going to be down to Owers. Does this mean that every time he cocks up people are going to come the forum whinging Nico would have done better?
It works both ways, people moan about others putting Nico down; so don't keep making him out to be a saviour when he is no longer involved.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

I can only go by the fact that Nicho got us out of two consecutive escapes despite no budget and a club that was under constant threat of having the gates locked! What player would want to come to a club like that? And to a club where the manager was driving a borrowed minibus to away games! That’s if they weren’t told to make their own way. Anyway, that’s all history now and we have a nice big club bus to take us to play on all the council parks next season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Are you on a wind up, or actually being serious notnow, I mean really are you being serious.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

notnow wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 22:19 I can only go by the fact that Nicho got us out of two consecutive escapes despie no budget and a club that was under constant threat of having the gates locked! What player would want to come to a club like that? And to a club where the manager was driving a borrowed minibus to away games! That’s if they weren’t told to make their own way. Anyway, that’s all history now and we have a nice big club bus to take us to play on all the council parks next season.
Got us out of 2 consecutive escapes. Which HE put us in in the first place.
Who threatened to lock the gates ? I don't recall Torbay council ever threatening that.
Manager driving the bus or players driving themselves, there are plenty of travel firms in the south west of England who would've gladly helped out, the previous board didn't shout loud enough no appeal was made & once again Jack of all trades master of none took it upon himself to try & do it all, and of course the board accepted his ' gestures ' cos it cost them **** all.
And for your information, there are plenty of players who would love to ply their trade at plainmoor, albeit for the opposition at the moment !
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

They did a deal with a local travel firm didn't they-unfortunately they didn't do their due diligence on them and were provided with a not fit for purpose coach and driver!
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

In Nico's defence and notnow, Nico had absolutely nothing to work with in terms of a budget and for a first managerial job where he had to play for the first three months of his job due to not having enough subs to field a whole team he did a hell of a job to keep them up. he got drawn a small straw when the new owners came in as the writing was on the wall for him. You can't say he would of got us relegated based on four games. We got a competitive draw against Tramere and were competitive to both loses to Boreham wood and Aldershot which compared to where they finished was good. plus we were scoring goals in both those games. I do believe we wouldn't had gotten relegated if he was still in charge. unlike the brilliant gary owers
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Rossi Martin wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 11:00 In Nico's defence and notnow, Nico had absolutely nothing to work with in terms of a budget and for a first managerial job where he had to play for the first three months of his job due to not having enough subs to field a whole team
So (knowing that he was about to start the job of Player-Manager) did he cup-tie himself by turning out for Bath in the previous round and follow that by presideing over tha utter capitulation at Basingstoke....but not as player-manager you'll understand?
Rossi Martin wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 11:00 We got a competitive draw against Tramere and were competitive to both loses to Boreham wood and Aldershot which compared to where they finished was good
Having been at two of those games (Aldershot & Boreham Wood) it is my view that the six goals conceded could so easily have been doubled ~ we were bloody miles off the pace!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Against a 9 man Tranmere team !! Having a laugh , should have been 3 points all day long. If it followed up by a good results in the next game or few then it would have been forgotten about.
It was a dreadfully bad start by the lottery winning dream team
Last edited by westyorkshiregull on 30 Apr 2018, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Don't forget that "competitive draw against Tranmere" was against a team down to 9 with two sent off!
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Perhaps one day we will find out what happened during the Summer of 2017.
Why did we sign so many players from the Bristol area - Clarke, Gosling, Klukowski (Chippenham boy) and Davis? Who spotted them and recommended them to the Club? Gosling and Pittman were both in the Grimsby team that got promoted in 2016 so bringing them back together had some logic behind it although Pittman had spent the 2016/17 season at Harrogate.
Why did we keep Chaney. He was the only outfield protege of Harrop to last more than one season as a pro - what a dreadful record for our former head of youth development who was in post for 7 years. Chaney was his most successful youngster apart from Dan Lavercombe.
Why did we have so many trialists during preseason? That must have been a hindrance to our preseason training and perhaps Nicho in a fit of pique brought on his kit man to show how bad the trialists were that he had been lumbered with.
Would Nicho have kept us up? I doubt it given the potentially hostile management environment that he would have been trying to work in. Would he have got more out of the players already on the books when Owers came in? Definitely.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 09:22

Got us out of 2 consecutive escapes. Which HE put us in in the first place.
Absolute crap. I wonder whether you've morphed into merse occasionally.

This was addressed by our ex CEO and if you can't take his word for it then perhaps a forum isn't the right place for you to debate? You could try your Teddy in the privacy of the bathroom, he might not argue back ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 16:52 Absolute crap. I wonder whether you've morphed into merse occasionally.

This was addressed by our ex CEO and if you can't take his word for it then perhaps a forum isn't the right place for you to debate? You could try your Teddy in the privacy of the bathroom, he might not argue back ;-)
Who was the manager of the team then Dave ? Go on tell me, I'm sure your itching to , when I look back in the record books Kevin Nicholson was. And if I recall correctly, we escaped relegation with a late rally of form.
As for morphing into merse, well he is knocking on a bit, somebody has to pick up his baton & run with it sooner than later, so better it should be me, in your eyes at least, I'm well qualified !
Last edited by Teigngull on 30 Apr 2018, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 13:15 Against a 9 man Tranmere team !! Having a laugh , should have been 3 points all day long. If it followed up by a good results in the next game or few then it would have been forgotten about.
It was a dreadfully bad start by the lottery winning dream team
:goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

A fully qualified Merse, that would unease the natives 😉

Read Breedy's reply to my direct questions. That's why I say your statement is absolute crap!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Teigngull wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 18:53 Who was the manager of the team then Dave ? Go on tell me, I'm sure your itching to , when I look back in the record books Kevin Nicholson was. And if I recall correctly, we escaped relegation with a late rally of form.
As for morphing into merse, well he is knocking on a bit, somebody has to pick up his baton & run with it sooner than later, so better it should be me, in your eyes at least, I'm well qualified !
I dont think you are qualified just yet Teigngull.
Chuck a few anti Nicho posts around and ensure that you
Jump down anyones throat when they disagree with you and you are nearly there.
Dont forget the odd Idiot, moron or baboon insult. To finish with 😆
Just saying ! And good luck .