Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

hector wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 09:57 We’ve seen the past, managers come and with the odd tweak transform a squad.

Look what Cyril Knowles did with Stuart Morgan’s team.
Look what Colin Lee did with Wes Saunders’ team.
Look what Ian Atkins did with the team he inherited.

Lee and Atkins transformed their teams in a matter of weeks.

This is what Owers was brought in to do. He had almost an entire season to nudge our fortunes but he couldn’t.

He was left a poor team by Nicholson but there is no denying Owers had time to improve things. It’s not like he came in during February.
As I have mentioned before, he's had more than enough time and used enough players. We were 8pts from safety when he came in and 7pts yesterday.
His brief was to keep us in NL.
I think its ridiculous that he will still be in charge next season. He has all the charisma of a dead dog.
Other clubs who have failed and/or been relegated have fired their managers - the cheating dons and chesterfield spring to mind, but what happens here?
he keeps his job for total failure.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Wonder how many managers would keep their jobs having the length of time Owers has had and getting their club relegated. Not too many methinks.
furmax
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Aggy

Post by furmax »

Unless of course that is what the hope was......
A poster previously know as furzehamgull. @furmax
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

You dont neccessarily need charisma and personality to succeed, Wenger has done ok for 20 years
and Tisdale isnt exactly a bubbling live wire, but it helps lift the mood of the supporters if their is
some inspiring talk. All we can do now is give him the chance but he needs 12 or 13 points from the first
half dozen games or as said the mood will quickly turn sour
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

desperado wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 11:59 You dont neccessarily need charisma and personality to succeed, [highlight=yellow]Wenger has done ok for 20 years
and Tisdale isnt exactly a bubbling live wire[/highlight], but it helps lift the mood of the supporters if their is
some inspiring talk. All we can do now is give him the chance but he needs 12 or 13 points from the first
half dozen games or as said the mood will quickly turn sour
they have been successful in what they set out or were tasked to do.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thing is Chris (snw) The point made above was, you 'don't' need to have personality and charisma to succeed as a football manager. Wenger, Howard Wilkinson, George Graham, Brendan Rodgers, and list could go on and on, of Dour personalities amongst managers who have won things.

I'm really not trying to come across as an apologist or Owers. He didn't fail in his task because he lacked personality, he failed because he had no choice but to, replace loan players with loan players, free agents with free agents, and I will suggest he was unable to sign players he really wanted, not the players he had no choice but to bring in.

You don't need to come in with a ra ra skirt on, telling Christmas cracker jokes, with Drake blaring out, while referring to your players as wozza to motivate and be successful.

And quite frankly if a manager has to spend god knows how many hours motivating his players, then there's seriously something wrong with the mentality of the players, players shouldn't need motivating to win games, that should come from within.

Said all along, Owers deserves the same second chance other previous managers have had at our club, I'll judge 12 or so games into next season. Those jumping off a cliff right now from all directions regards Owers, might be right hope not, but they could be and will have all the time they need for the old 'I told you so' they might also be eating a large slice of humble pie, that's what can happen when we judge to quick.
Formerly known as forevertufc
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Yorkieandy wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 11:10
I'd like to see Karl Pilkington as Torquay boss.
Yes, I would pay double the entrance fee to see that!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Popside rumour suggests that Owers will have a million pound players budget for next season. This may not be far from the truth if we are also employing a reserve squad.

Perhaps he will be able sign leaders not boys next year?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 11:44
As I have mentioned before, he's had more than enough time and used enough players. We were 8pts from safety when he came in and 7pts yesterday.
His brief was to keep us in NL.
Why do people think Owers brief was 'to keep us in NL.'

That was Nicholson brief for two seasons under the old regime, but not this season, hence sacked after 4 games. It is fairly obvious that Owers brief was to put us in play off position but as we all know he failed dismally. Aside from blaming the referees, the weather, the pitches and anything he could think up, he also blamed the squad he inherited but ironically offers reengagement to the +6 to start in his team next season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't see anywhere, where it says Owers brief was to take the club into the play-offs this season, this is what Harrop said at the time;

[glow=red]“It has been important for us to find the individuals who we think can adopt our plan for sustainable success and can bring the talent, “ It has been important for us to find the individuals who we think can adopt our plan for sustainable success and can bring the talent, experience and contacts that are key for a club wanting to climb and top the National League. These guys tick all the boxes for us.[/glow]

When your appointed 10 games into the season, the club hasn't gained a single win, suffering 7 defeats at that point, when pretty much every player at that point is contracted to a club somewhere, so it's not possible to sign player you actually want, think it was more than obvious his first job was to keep in the NLP, which he failed, his second job was to drive the club forward.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

kevgull wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 13:46 Popside rumour suggests that Owers will have a million pound players budget for next season. This may not be far from the truth if we are also employing a reserve squad.

Perhaps he will be able sign leaders not boys next year?
If that is the case, he will be the best backed manager here since Paul Buckle? Certainly one of the most backed managers in the club's history.

With that kind of backing you'd expect promotion from the VNS to be achieved, assuming he spends it wisely.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

IF Osborne is prepared to bankroll a serious promotion push then how does that correspond to the widely held view (and mine) that he is looking to destroy the football club? It wouldn't make sense to chuck a load of money with no guarantee of success at something that you don't actually want. Especially for a businessman.

Any thoughts as it's a bit weird.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

forevertufc wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 14:11 Don't see anywhere, where it says Owers brief was to take the club into the play-offs this season, this is what Harrop said at the time;

[glow=red]“It has been important for us to find the individuals who we think can adopt our plan for sustainable success and can bring the talent, “ It has been important for us to find the individuals who we think can adopt our plan for sustainable success and can bring the talent, experience and contacts that are key for a club wanting to climb and top the National League. These guys tick all the boxes for us.[/glow]

When your appointed 10 games into the season, the club hasn't gained a single win, suffering 7 defeats at that point, when pretty much every player at that point is contracted to a club somewhere, so it's not possible to sign player you actually want, think it was more than obvious his first job was to keep in the NLP, which he failed, his second job was to drive the club forward.
Good job Tranmere Rovers did not have that outlook after 12 games and only 9 points ahead of us in 18th place. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41290751). Mind you they stuck with their manager and fought off a relegation battle with 82 points; a play-off place and 2rd in the league. Or Flyde for that matter only 8 point ahead of us in 20th place and still managed a play off place.

I know what Harrop said about Owers 'ticking all the boxes' but he is only the puppet to his 'Master'. Clarke informed us in September that he "became acutely aware of the potential for growth at Torquay United,"... and that ... "From a financial perspective ... providing a clear allocation of funding for investment, promotion and development." .

Relegation has stunned Osborne and he needs to get us back to NL status (at a minimum) for his 5 year 'Housing Development Plan' to have any chance of working - unless you think we are remaining full-time because he loves the club and football so much. As Clarke says "Any deal to build a new stadium must be based on...TUFC as a club playing in the football league.". So now he is two years behind plan (minimum). He is pretty much up the creek without a paddle, which does not mean take your eyes off the (wreaking) ball. He know he has to move fast, maybe why the rumour of £1M player budget next season

We are all entitled to our views, and I can understand why many will view the opposite of my mine. but nonetheless I am in no doubt that Owers failed in his mission which amounted to a lot more than just to fend of relegation. If that was the case, why change manager as his precessor was a 'Master in the Art of Relegation Battles'.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 29 Apr 2018, 15:20, edited 2 times in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Yorkieandy wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 14:58 IF Osborne is prepared to bankroll a serious promotion push then how does that correspond to the widely held view (and mine) that he is looking to destroy the football club? It wouldn't make sense to chuck a load of money with no guarantee of success at something that you don't actually want. Especially for a businessman.
It wouldn't be good business practice to 'destroy the football club' what would be good practice is to have a football club fit for purpose to be sold or passed on as a capital venture when he has them in the new stadium and complex he talks of.

The danger comes in that there's many a slip between cup and lips as this pie in the sky project continues with the danger that the football club could lose the security of having the local authority as their landlord in a long term leasehold arrangement and end up in a new home owned by a separate company at a rent they can't afford.

I don't personally see him going down the road of ruining the football club to create a vacant tenancy because he wouldn't get that tenancy (which would be invalidated if the club went bust) and would lose his stake.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

That makes sense Merse but then 2 things.

Why does he run the football club (and thus a business) in a way in which alienates everyone and excludes everyone. The football club is run functionally rather than enthusiastically which is not going to help you make more money or improve things. Especially when the product is crap.

Why did CO not pull out all the stops to keep the club in the NL in the first place?

Again, it's weird.