Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Guildford Gull wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 19:35 Gowlings performance on Tuesday night was an absolute disgrace. It looked like he couldn't give a sh!t

I don't care what his is problem is with Owers, he is probably one of the better paid players and should give 100% for the club, the supporters and his own personal pride.

I would drop him for tomorrow, transfer list him and tell him he won't be selected again.
Gowling as you say has a past history, seems a problem wherever he goes. He does not give a shit, and was he really out injured for some of the games when he possibly could have played ????? A troublemaker , get shot of asap, a huge mistake again on the recruitment side of things but one Owers is not responsible for.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

If the retaining list is so imminent- now being rumoured to be 6 p.m tomorrow- the team selection is going to be a big giveaway. I wonder after the Guiseley display whether it was actually announced on the bus back from Hartlepool and it's only the press and ourselves who are left speculating!?
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Dazza wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 21:38 If the retaining list is so imminent- now being rumoured to be 6 p.m tomorrow- the team selection is going to be a big giveaway. I wonder after the Guiseley display whether it was actually announced on the bus back from Hartlepool and it's only the press and ourselves who are left speculating!?
The only issue is that we have players on 2 year contracts, and these players are sick note/injury prone/can't be arsed. So the retention list is quite predictable, probably why we are staying full time next season. Part of me feels sorry for Owers and part of me why did Nicholson sign such shit on 2 year contracts, e.g. Clarke is unavailable tomorrow due to injury (he's not even played for ages)
Lucy
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

If Gowling was so bad on Tuesday (and I'm not saying he wasn't), why didn't GO sub him? Was it that there wasn't a suitable replacement on the bench or did the gaffer not see his apparent ineptitude?

I'm sure it's been said elsewhere (I know CP wrote a glowing piece) but the recent reports from Owers would make anyone with no connection to the club think this was a man who'd just taken the reigns! He's looking forward to building his own squad and bring in his own players!!! The dozen or so that he did bring in obviously weren't his... perhaps they were Osborne or Harrop singings?
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

:slap:
Bloggy wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 23:14 If Gowling was so bad on Tuesday (and I'm not saying he wasn't), why didn't GO sub him? Was it that there wasn't a suitable replacement on the bench or did the gaffer not see his apparent ineptitude?

I'm sure it's been said elsewhere (I know CP wrote a glowing piece) but the recent reports from Owers would make anyone with no connection to the club think this was a man who'd just taken the reigns! He's looking forward to building his own squad and bring in his own players!!! The dozen or so that he did bring in obviously weren't his... perhaps they were Osborne or Harrop singings?
Lucy
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

With Gary Owers it's always a case of "jam tomorrow" but tomorrow never comes - or at least it hasn't yet.
Good luck to him in the summer transfer market but it wont be easy with players and their agents trying to get best deals and in the NLS we will be even further down the pecking order. It could be quite a frustrating process for him with players being lined up and then getting better offers elsewhere before they sign on the dotted line.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Tufc83 wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 16:39

"I need more leadership in the team and I need some men to come and represent the club."
A pretty damning statement about some of the players. I wonder if that message was put across to the players before the Guiseley match.
TUST number 080
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Lloyder5 wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 09:13 A pretty damning statement about some of the players. I wonder if that message was put across to the players before the Guiseley match.
This is part of the problem - putting out in the press instead of the dressing room is passive aggressive behaviour and unlikely to stimulate the motivation amongst the players that is required. I'm not assuming that it is not said in the dressing room, but it certainly should be - it takes real courage to say what needs to be said to the right people at the right time, however, this is what it takes as a leader to ultimately garner respect and results.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Lloyder5 wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 09:13 A pretty damning statement about some of the players. I wonder if that message was put across to the players before the Guiseley match.
TBH. What player could disagree with what Owers said there. This set of players should not be involved in a relegation team. Bad look, poor tactics, let's face it we have been let down this season. I'm not a fan of Owers but one thing for certain is he did not inherit a lottery winning squad.
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The manager decides on the tactics not the players, that's one aspect they can't be blamed for.

When you've got a dour, miserable manager who has no idea how to motivate or encourage players you're going to suffer poor performance and execution of tactics. Sound familiar?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

We’ve seen the past, managers come and with the odd tweak transform a squad.

Look what Cyril Knowles did with Stuart Morgan’s team.
Look what Colin Lee did with Wes Saunders’ team.
Look what Ian Atkins did with the team he inherited.

Lee and Atkins transformed their teams in a matter of weeks.

This is what Owers was brought in to do. He had almost an entire season to nudge our fortunes but he couldn’t.

He was left a poor team by Nicholson but there is no denying Owers had time to improve things. It’s not like he came in during February.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

What difference has he made ?

It's been a disaster and for me we need to start afresh like we didn't do last season
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 07:53 The manager decides on the tactics not the players, that's one aspect they can't be blamed for.

When you've got a dour, miserable manager who has no idea how to motivate or encourage players you're going to suffer poor performance and execution of tactics. Sound familiar?
John Major is available evidently .
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Jack Dee too.

I'd like to see Karl Pilkington as Torquay boss.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 10:05 What difference has he made ?

It's been a disaster and for me we need to start afresh like we didn't do last season
This hits the nail on the head. If we have another awful start the atmosphere will quickly turn toxic and we could end up in the same mess as last season.

The first six games are vital for everyone which is ridiculous really and a symptom of Osborne and Harrop's reactive approach to running the football club.