Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Owers is certainly bigging himself up, well he has got the chance, August will be time for the talking to
stop. I am prepared to see what he can do but a dozen games into the season if we are not right up
there, if he thinks he is getting stick now, wait til then.He knows he needs to sign some experienced
characters , battlers, players who hate losing, like Buckle did, a centre forward, centre half and midfielder
will do for a start
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

tomogull wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 22:31 Cheers Andy - thanks for that. I think I treat the Forum in a fairly light-hearted manner most of the time, but I do get a bit crabby when I read individuals being unfairly criticised (in my view) when they've got no chance of defending themselves. However, I did get bliddy morose last night. It was one of those horrible thick drizzly nights and it was a toss up whether to stay at home in the warm and watch Liverpool/Roma on the tele or go to Plainmoor. I went to Plainmoor. My grandson who usually comes with me decided to go with his mates 'down the pub' to watch the Liverpool match on the big screen. Today he has taken great delight in telling me what a great game it was, whilst I was watching 'football' that was ten million miles away from the beautiful game being played at Anfield. :@ :@ :@
Ok Tomogull, morose was probably too harsh a word to use & I'm very sorry for using it towards you.
Please understand that were all mostly long standing suffering fans of this frustratingly entertaining little football club, it gets under your skin & you can't help the emotional involvement.
You say certain individuals are " unfairly criticised " with " no chance of defending themselves ".
We've had the worst season ever in the history of our club, they are the senior players brought in to do a decent job on the field of play, they have failed miserably as a group & as a collective, they should hold their heads in shame, every single man & boy who has pulled on a TUFC shirt this season .
That (in my view) is not unfair criticism, it's fact.
Now debate, instead of moaning about the poor little privileged movies feelings are getting hurt !
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 19:40 Chairman with the over powering shareholding that meant her vote vetoed any other opinion ~ appreciate the FACTS of the matter!

The resignation and departure of the three most able of that board tells the story of that nightmare ~ take on board, appreciate the FACTS!

When you hold an overpowering control of a company you and you alone are responsible for that company, it's policy and future direction ~ you need to understand the FACTS and come out of this fairy-dairyland of Saint Thea worship.

The pigeons of that era and what it has lead to, have come home to roost; wake up and smell the coffee!
Thank you for giving us YOUR version of the FACTS. I can't argue/debate with you because like most fans, I don't know what went on at Board level. However, I doubt that the FACTS are as (bold) black and white as you portray them to be. For a start, I don't know Thea Bristow personally but I never got the impression that she was the type of person who would lord it over anyone 'because she was the over-powering shareholder'. I also have doubts that the three Board members (presumably, the two Boyce brothers and Ian Hayman (?), resigned over the appointment of Chris Hargreaves. I suspect there were other issues.

As I posted earlier, she did not want the chairman's post - perhaps being rather naive, she only wanted to finance the club to carry on Paul's work. Anyway, I don't want to get into another 'handbags at dawn' spat and be called a morose old git (that really stung, Teigngull ;-) ) so let's just say there are usually two sides to a story and leave it at that. Okay? :-D
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

[quote=Tufc83 post_id=225356 time=1524757173 user_id=23943]
Torquay United manager Gary Owers says he will not resign after the club was relegated from the National League.

Some fans had called for Owers to quit after the Gulls were relegated to National League South - their lowest level for 89 years.

"I'm not quitting and I'm planning for next season,"

That's a shame. Planning in terms of how you can get the club to drop out of the NLS without it looking remotely a bit fishy?

"I've been planning for next season for weeks and weeks,

That's great! Really proactive actually. I mean it's been months and months really more than weeks and weeks. You know, since we knew the club were going down so you've had a head start in many respects. With all this forward planning then we can expect you to really hit the ground running when next season kicks off can't we?

"I might not have much support, but I do have some support, I know that," Really?! From who?! Which insane nutjobs do you speak of?

"I've got support on the inside, definitely,

Yeah we know mate. That's part of the problem really. Other things are questionable and not just how bad a manager you are.

"..and the only way I can improve things is by doing what I'm going to do.."

Errr no. You can improve things by sodding off.

".....which is bring my own players in with my own ideas and work the way I want to work."

So the last 6 months has seen you NOT bring in any of your own players and NOT trying to get any of your ideas across? :-/

"Some of the things have been out of my control...."

What you mean like Barrow, Woking, Solihull and Hartlepool winning more games than you? I know. BASTARDS aren't they?

"... everything after that point will be under my control..."

Crikey! You've been listening to Ozzy and his power crazed mantras too much me thinks.

"..and then I'll get on with it and we'll put it right."

Shouldn't that be, "i'll get on with it and put it out of sight"

'You'd be hard-pushed to find someone with more all-round experience'

Experience of what? Being a shit manager? How about the boss of British Home Stores. He was a shit manager too and ended up taking his organization out of business whilst getting rewarded at the same time.

As a player Owers (right) spent eight years at Sunderland

Explains the negativity then.

Owers had been manager of National League South side Bath City before leaving for Plainmoor and feels he is best-qualified to take the club out of the sixth tier of English football at the first attempt:

6 months ago you were best qualified to take the club out of the NL never mind the NLS.

"I played 600 games, I played at the highest level against some of the top players, working under some of the top managers.

Played yes. Not managed. Teddy Sheringham played loads of times for Spurs, Millwall, Man U and England but bombed as Stevenage manager.

"I coached in the Championship, coached in the league. I think you'd be hard-pushed to find someone with more all-round experience at this level.

Coached in the Championship. NOT managed. Coached in the FL. NOT managed. Managed in the non league and nearly took Forest Green down before sending Bath City into another planet! Well mid table NLS anyway.

"I've been a manager,

Bugger me you'd not know it!!

I've been an assistant manager,

Probably best that. :nod:

I've been head of recruitment,

Who for? The jobcentre?

"I've had numerous jobs in football."

So has Mark Hughes but he's still clueless and can't stop getting teams in relegation battles.

Owers' first task will be to build a squad capable of bouncing back at the first attempt

PMSL!! :clap: :rofl:

"I'm looking for players in all positions,"

Should have started the search 6 months ago sunshine.

"I'm looking for players that can win the league, as simple as that.

Whayhey!!!! It's a piece of piss this management lark! :scarf:

I know what it'll take.

Me too. A new manager.

"I need some men to come..."

Whoahh! Too much info. What ever you get up to in your private life is nowt to do with any of us!
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Yorkieandy wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 17:46 :lol: Made me smile . That’s a first this week well done that man. :clap:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Before you beat Owers with your stick anymore have a look at the "highlights" and have a look at the performance of Gowling - a senior pro who is on a good wage and is nothing more than a complete disgrace and an embarrassment.

How exactly are you supposed to manage **** like him? I accept Owers might not be the answer but what chance does he have when players like Gowling are taking the piss like that.

No wonder Owers has brought forward the retained list meeting to 6pm on Saturday. Hopefully the sooner he shows the door to these malingering **** shirkers the better.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

One would like to think that each individual player meeting will be over in less than a minute. It doesn't take long to say "on your bike".
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

brucie wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 18:54 Before you beat Owers with your stick anymore have a look at the "highlights" and have a look at the performance of Gowling - a senior pro who is on a good wage and is nothing more than a complete disgrace and an embarrassment.

How exactly are you supposed to manage **** like him? I accept Owers might not be the answer but what chance does he have when players like Gowling are taking the piss like that.

No wonder Owers has brought forward the retained list meeting to 6pm on Saturday. Hopefully the sooner he shows the door to these malingering **** shirkers the better.
Agree with you there Brucie.

Shocking performance by Gowling .... and you have to say McGinty too.

Gowling has another year on his contract, he may or may not want to see that out with TUFC. But you get the feeling that if he does want to stay he would prefer it to be under a different Manager to Owers .... and so it might just suit him to pile on the pressure on an under fire Manager by putting in a performance like that. Falling out with Managers is not a new thing for Gowling, he has past history - and was something that Grimsby fans brought up on forums when we first signed him.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Teigngull wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 17:38 Ok Tomogull, morose was probably too harsh a word to use & I'm very sorry for using it towards you.
Please understand that were all mostly long standing suffering fans of this frustratingly entertaining little football club, it gets under your skin & you can't help the emotional involvement.
You say certain individuals are " unfairly criticised " with " no chance of defending themselves ".
We've had the worst season ever in the history of our club, they are the senior players brought in to do a decent job on the field of play, they have failed miserably as a group & as a collective, they should hold their heads in shame, every single man & boy who has pulled on a TUFC shirt this season .
That (in my view) is not unfair criticism, it's fact.
Now debate, instead of moaning about the poor little privileged movies feelings are getting hurt !
Really no need to apologise, Teigngull. It gave me a smile, and I've been called far worse! The thing is, we're not too far apart in our views. Our difference lies in the degree of criticism of the players and after last Tuesday's 'performance', I am leaning more towards your level. Another performance like that on Saturday, and I will fully agree with you!

I won't make excuses for the players. They will know very well that they have let the club and the fans down. But we have played 43, or is it 44 now, players during the season and that doesn't help the team. It would be interesting to know how many players, say, Macclesfield or Accrington have used. Someone - Mourhino maybe? - said that teams can get a losing mentality just as easily as a winning mentality. It's a psychological thing. We've looked as if we've had a losing mentality all season.

Players in struggling sides lose their form because they are dragged down to the level of play around them. This is the case in all levels of football, right down to South Devon league. We won't agree on Luke Young. That's okay. I think that he is not playing as well as he can because he is trying too hard. I think we would see a better Luke Young if he was at a better club and I hope he grabs the opportunity if it comes his way. He is stagnating at TUFC. The same goes for Davis, Dorel and McGinty. Sean had a 'mare of a game on Tuesday. It happens. But worse than him was Gowling who put in hardly any effort all night. He was a disgrace. At least McGinty could never be accused of not trying. Well there you are, Teigngull. Probably a load of gobble-de-gook, but I think I know what I mean!! ;-)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I agree with Tomogull but think Young needs to be calmed down in his play as he could be so much better but on Tuesday the attitude was to relaxed and I feel good sides play three at the back but when your building a side 4-4-1-1 is the best way to go and I have been there and done it in a standard just below when the side I took over was bottom. Disciplin is a key to a successful side and getting the players to believe in your tactics. The goals we gave away on Tuesday came from the left fullback not defending properly McGinty got caught out because he was covering the mistakes.
Last edited by arcadia on 27 Apr 2018, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

When AFC Fylde were at Plainmoor a few weeks ago their team listing consisted of 18 players. Our problem has been partly due to too many loan players.
uffculme1

Post by uffculme1 »

If Owers keeps his job after saturday then we are stuck with him for another season, the alternative is a continual cycle of sack him after 4, 6 or 10 matches, recruit a new third choice manager whose first comment will be, well there not my players, I wouldn't have signed them, and because the previous idiot had already blown the budget his only alternative is to try and sign a few loan players, and the debacle continues .
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

If he keeps his job now then he won't be going anywhere until the club go under completely so i wouldn't worry about it.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

CP Gull wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 19:19 Agree with you there Brucie.

Shocking performance by Gowling .... and you have to say McGinty too.

Gowling has another year on his contract, he may or may not want to see that out with TUFC. But you get the feeling that if he does want to stay he would prefer it to be under a different Manager to Owers .... and so it might just suit him to pile on the pressure on an under fire Manager by putting in a performance like that. Falling out with Managers is not a new thing for Gowling, he has past history - and was something that Grimsby fans brought up on forums when we first signed him.
Gowlings performance on Tuesday night was an absolute disgrace. It looked like he couldn't give a sh!t

I don't care what his is problem is with Owers, he is probably one of the better paid players and should give 100% for the club, the supporters and his own personal pride.

I would drop him for tomorrow, transfer list him and tell him he won't be selected again.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Tomogull.
Got to agree with you on your Luke Young theory, he'd be an asset to any club in good form, but like I said, it'll be interesting to see who comes calling for his services & at what level they're playing.
Ta for accepting my appology, appreciate it sincerely, and lastly I can accept bad form ( Christ, I support Torquay for God's sake ) but Gowling on Tuesday really took the piss out of every single fan that has paid their hard earned cash to support his efforts. The blokes a total wanker.