Torquay v Guiseley 24/04 (PP on 24/3/18)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its strange that the result of this game seems to have met with more hostility than being relegated!

Its a shameful result though in the circumstances. Might have been a meaningless game but the players had a responsibility to put in a performance for those 1000 or so supporters who turned up. Lets face it that was one hell of an attendance.

To lose in the manner we did is absolutely shocking.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

budegull1954 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 08:45 Sadly I tend to agree with you. Wasn't sure before but when a manager starts to blame his players publicly, then the end is surely in sight (or it would be at most clubs).
Totally agree with this. When the Manager starts to blame the players for poor results and performances it is normally only a matter of time before he departs.

I have kind of been “on the fence” as far as Owers and whether he should stay or go, but after last night’s shocker I am now of the opinion that he should go.

I actually thought that last night was almost like looking into the future, a part time (at least I’m pretty sure they are) team coming to Plainmoor, enjoying the surroundings and playing with great team spirit - whereas we looked like a bunch of players who were playing for themselves and just going through the motions. A Manager, stood on the touchline, soaking wet, looking helpless (and hopeless!) and unable to do anything to cajole or even encourage the players into turning things around. Most importantly for me, I just cannot see that Owers has the charisma to inspire and lead a bunch of men to a League title - which is what he is being asked to do.

The game was of course played out in a gloomy, even toxic at times, atmosphere - with less than 1000 United fans there to witness it - again a “look into the future” ans twenty in the away end - fair play to every single one of them by the way - but that is going to be the sort of numbers that will turn up next season in the NLS I imagine on a fairly regular occurrence.

After the game Owers took his share of the blame, but couldn’t resist also laying into the players - suggesting that the side he put out last night was in some way not representative of him as a Manager and that in some way things will be totally different going forward. Of course, we all hope that is the case but to suggest it wasn’t his team is surely well wide of the mark???

Dorel - ok signed by Herrera until Christmas, but re-signed by Owers
Barnes - signed by Owers
Balatoni - signed by Owers
Gowling- signed by Nicholson (but believed to be on a 2 year deal - so with us next year)
McGinty - signed by Nicholson - but quite likely one that Owers himself would like to keep?
Davis - signed by Nicholson
Lemonheigh - Evans - signed by Owers
Young - re-signed by Nicholson - but regarded by Owers himself recently as the best performer since he’s been here - and will surely want to keep next season
Healey - signed by Owers
Romain - signed by Owers
Reid - signed by Owers = after converting his loan deal to a permanent one - may well be contracted to us next season
Williams - signed by Owers - “rumoured” by IanGull on here to have been offered and agreed a new deal for next season
Dowling - signed by Owers
Keating - signed by Nicholson

So, of the 14 players used NINE were either signed or re-signed by Owers!!!

Not only that, but you would imagine that 2 or 3 of the others - who have all been regular “picks” by Owers (Young, McGinty, Davis etc) may well have been offered terms to stay next year too - in fact I would be surprised if any of those three haven’t. Of the TWO remaining - Gowling may well be here next season by virtue of having a second year on his contract - may not be an “Owers” man but even he (somewhat reluctantly perhaps!) recently had to admit that our results are substantially better when he starts in the team! Just leaves Keating, who you would imagine will be released, in less he has another year too.

So, to recap, 9/14 signed by Owers and (probably) 3 more that he wants to keep anyway!!!

It’s YOUR team that played last night Gary, stop making out as though it isn’t!!!!!!
Last edited by CP Gull on 25 Apr 2018, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

brucie wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 09:20 Its strange that the result of this game seems to have met with more hostility than being relegated!

Its a shameful result though in the circumstances. Might have been a meaningless game but the players had a responsibility to put in a performance for those 1000 or so supporters who turned up. Lets face it that was one hell of an attendance.

To lose in the manner we did is absolutely shocking.
It's the incredulous circumstances surrounding the game before, during and after i think Brucie.

First of all in the lead up to the game we get a passionless statement from CO which nobody believes. Those that do believe it are stupid beyond recognition and fully deserve TUFC to go under. In the statement he talks about galvanising the club. Like we saw that yesterday.

Then we get Owers banging on about how he feels regarding the relegation which again is all bullshit and the promise of turning things around. Like he did that yesterday.

Then we get to lose AT HOME to a Guiseley side already relegated, a side who before making the long trek down to Torquay had played 3 games in 4 days and LOST all three, a side who had conceded 53 goals away from home (the most in the league) and who had lost 15 away (joint worst with Woking), a side that played the entire game more or less with 10 men and a side that still half the squad are part time.

Not only did we lose but we conceded FOUR GOALS AT HOME TO THE BOTTOM SIDE PLAYING THE WHOLE GAME WITH 10 MEN!!

Obviously nothing is worse than relegation but somehow this combination of phalli in CO, GO, MK, GH et al make it so.

Last night renders the statement that CO made totally unfounded. Last night renders whatever comes out the mouths of both he and Owers non believable bullshit. Last night just had the feeling that these people are simply toying with their playthings (TUFC fans) and wetting themselves with laughter at every minute of it.
mikehg1958
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by mikehg1958 »

Listening to the radio commentators last night, even they couldn’t believe what was actually going on down there on the pitch!

I actually do not blame Garry Owers for our current situation and have nothing against him personally; he is probably a very nice and decent bloke who has done everything within his capabilities with little or no money; the person to blame is the man who appoints the wrong person to the wrong job for him. What spark of ingenuity came to appoint a man not experienced up to this level of challenge and responsibility?

So Mr Chairman, could you be honest and provide us with the truth, perhaps some details, about this 5-year plan. I’ve been in business but never once came across a long-term plan that begins with demotion, the need to put a completely new team together (we won’t have more than a very few on the books after Monday), but also demoralizing the supporters who are key to future success. Understandably, many are suggesting boycotting the team, but ironically this will only ensure the team goes into liquidation as the club need our money and our support.

Why no explanation about the non-appointment of a local Board of Directors, such a vital ingredient to support the Chairman (in the continued absence of the owner)? Why, when so obvious midway into the season when the plan clearly wasn’t working, little appeared to support Mr Owers other than bringing in loan after loan of ineffective players?

Your recent statement after the Hartlepool match I thought totally unacceptable; how can relegation ‘galvanise our resolve and determination to return to the National League next season….’and ‘our work in rebuilding the structure of this significant, fine Club will continue unabated…’ when the priority from the start of the season must have been to provide sufficient funds for the Coach to ensure he could afford the players to keep us up and to keep the gates up. Once achieved, then you have the foundation of whatever infra-structure was on the table for this 5-year plan – and vitally, the support of the fans!

Mr Chairman, I suggest your next statement needs to come out soon after the retained list , you need to convince us that lessons have been learned from the way other clubs in our league, some part-time, are being run. There will be no easy matches to get back up next season as every team will want to beat us, so please be upfront with us, take no short-cuts, appoint the Board of local supporters and we will soon love you….perhaps!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Good post mike.

In actual fact i might write a book entitled:

SPINELESS LOCAL COUNCILS AND DODGY FOOTBALL CLUB OWNERS - THE PERFECT MARRIAGE.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

mikehg1958 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 10:24So Mr Chairman, could you be honest and provide us with the truth, perhaps some details, about this 5-year plan
The clue would lay in the shifty appearance of his Gaming International colleague Bill Glass on a Sky Sports greyhound coverage last season when he said 'we endeavour to keep these sports running as long as possible' when he should have more honestly inserted 'as long as necessary' when talking about their development plans for projects at various stadiums they are involved in.

To believe Osborne; he has been the unluckiest man in the world of business with 'bad luck' at Reading, Milton Keynes and Swindon.....once is (maybe) acceptable and believable; but time after time? Come on Clarke!

So Bristol Rovers 'wanted to be evicted from Eastville' eh? No they didn't; they wanted a landlord who would provide them with the infrastructure they required at a price they could afford...similar to Torquay United; they had fallen into the clutches of the then Bristol Stadium company after previous financial deficiencies had delivered them into their hands.

Similarly Poole Town got in the way of the company's plans for Poole Stadium; they had to go and look at them now playing in a pathetic little enclosure totally unfit for purpose to the extent that they were denied a place in the play-offs last season and now face relegation back to the Southern League such is the damaging legacy of all that.

Osborne shamelessly admits to talks with 'the Mayor's Office' whilst Torbay Council deny us the right to information on the grounds of it not being advantageous or some such crap.....collusion, illusion and smoke and mirrors is Osborne's modus operandi ~ and no-one can claim they weren't warned a long time ago by both this forum and BTPIR
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

merse btpir wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 11:15 The clue would lay in the shifty appearance of his Gaming International colleague Bill Glass on a Sky Sports greyhound coverage last season when he said 'we endeavour to keep these sports running as long as possible' when he should have more honestly inserted 'as long as necessary' when talking about their development plans for projects at various stadiums they are involved in.

To believe Osborne; he has been the unluckiest man in the world of business with 'bad luck' at Reading, Milton Keynes and Swindon.....once is (maybe) acceptable and believable; but time after time? Come on Clarke!

So Bristol Rovers 'wanted to be evicted from Eastville' eh? No they didn't; they wanted a landlord who would provide them with the infrastructure they required at a price they could afford...similar to Torquay United; they had fallen into the clutches of the then Bristol Stadium company after previous financial deficiencies had delivered them into their hands.

Similarly Poole Town got in the way of the company's plans for Poole Stadium; they had to go and look at them now playing in a pathetic little enclosure totally unfit for purpose to the extent that they were denied a place in the play-offs last season and now face relegation back to the Southern League such is the damaging legacy of all that.

Osborne shamelessly admits to talks with 'the Mayor's Office' whilst Torbay Council deny us the right to information on the grounds of it not being advantageous or some such crap.....collusion, illusion and smoke and mirrors is Osborne's modus operandi ~ and no-one can claim they weren't warned a long time ago by both this forum and BTPIR
Excellent post, spot on!
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I don’t blame the players actually.

They have probably lost all respect for the complete management.

Whatever number it is but some if not allot of those players know they are not here next season. AND are probably thankful for that.

The poor management and all the issues at TUFC will be well known in the football community. Your gonna have to pay some serious wages to get anyone to play for this lot. And, that ain’t gonna happen. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a squad of youngsters next season, Osborne will put a spin on it of course, but they would be totally ineffectual at nls level. Basingstoke tried that, got relegated and they are nearer a much better source of players.
TUST MEMBER
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Crikey, how Guiseley must love playing us! Not just this season either - we have managed just 1 solitary draw in 6 attempts over the last three seasons. Not only that but of the 43 goals they have scored this season in 45 games - a staggering SEVEN have been in TWO games against us - representing over 16% of their season long tally! I suppose we should just be grateful that there is no way that they will end up in National League South next season!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You don't blame the players - spineless bunch of losers. They are a disgrace.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Neal wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 11:39 I don’t blame the players actually.

They have probably lost all respect for the complete management.

Whatever number it is but some if not allot of those players know they are not here next season. AND are probably thankful for that.

The poor management and all the issues at TUFC will be well known in the football community. Your gonna have to pay some serious wages to get anyone to play for this lot. And, that ain’t gonna happen. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a squad of youngsters next season, Osborne will put a spin on it of course, but they would be totally ineffectual at nls level. Basingstoke tried that, got relegated and they are nearer a much better source of players.
Exactly. The number one job of the management team is to galvanise the players and bring the best out of them. It was team spirit that got us back to the league in the Buckle era and there's no way Leroy would have got such incredible football out of that team without super man management skills.

TUFC is currently toxic from the top down. I feel sorry for Owers in that he's been set up to fall by Osborne. To whatever degree Owers knows what's really going on he is a mere puppet in Osborne's game. As indeed we all are.

I'd love to hear some inside views form the players about the chaotic management and scenes.
uffculme1

Post by uffculme1 »

We will lose matches regardless of whatever league we are in, that's a given, but the nature of the loss to me is the only thing that matters, last night I witnessed players who have no right to be in the game at any level. There was no desire, no spirit no organisation, no nothing, it was not only embarassing it was cringeworthy.
Yes, I would love to blame the ills of the world on Owers but his influence stops the minute the whistle blows, you can make a strong case for the wrong tactics , the wrong starting eleven, etc etc, but the players are supposed to be proffesional sportsman who you would reasonablly think should have a modicum of personal pride in what they do. If nothing else those out of contract would wish to put in a persofrmance for any new potential employers.
If someone had told me in the bar after the match they had strong evidence that our team had taken a bribe to throw the match I would have to believe them on that showing because there seems to be no other logical reason for the way we played.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

uffculme1 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 13:32 We will lose matches regardless of whatever league we are in, that's a given, but the nature of the loss to me is the only thing that matters, last night I witnessed players who have no right to be in the game at any level. There was no desire, no spirit no organisation, no nothing, it was not only embarassing it was cringeworthy.
Yes, I would love to blame the ills of the world on Owers but his influence stops the minute the whistle blows, you can make a strong case for the wrong tactics , the wrong starting eleven, etc etc, but the players are supposed to be proffesional sportsman who you would reasonablly think should have a modicum of personal pride in what they do. If nothing else those out of contract would wish to put in a persofrmance for any new potential employers.
If someone had told me in the bar after the match they had strong evidence that our team had taken a bribe to throw the match I would have to believe them on that showing because there seems to be no other logical reason for the way we played.

Interesting comment and it wouldn't surprise me one bit with this lot.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

uffculme1 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 13:32 We will lose matches regardless of whatever league we are in, that's a given, but the nature of the loss to me is the only thing that matters, last night I witnessed players who have no right to be in the game at any level. There was no desire, no spirit no organisation, no nothing, it was not only embarassing it was cringeworthy.
Perhaps they need more inspiration than they apparently receive from a manager who is only interested in lambasting them any chance he gets, including half time when he should be addressing tactics and not swearing and bullying players, players won't perform for a manager who only knows how to shout and scream.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Angus Mac

Post by Flipper »

Southampton Gull wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 13:53 Perhaps they need more inspiration than they apparently receive from a manager who is only interested in lambasting them any chance he gets, including half time when he should be addressing tactics and not swearing and bullying players, players won't perform for a manager who only knows how to shout and scream.
I've heard the same thing. Sure you can criticise as a manager but it's got to be constructive not just bully the player and say to him just as he's about to go back out "now go and get me a goal".

The guy cannot motivate the team because he has no personality and no people skills.