Torquay v Guiseley 24/04 (PP on 24/3/18)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Oil Beef Hooked wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 23:07 I tell you what we’ve been good at all season... making the opposition look like Barcelona. Tonight was no exception.

They have a player sent off in the 3rd minute, we miss the resulting penalty and 15 seconds later, we’re 1 down. We’ve played the bottom team in this god awful league for 87 minutes with ten men and still lost. You can’t make this shite up.

How bad does this have to get before it gets better?

Owers came in for a lot of stick from the Bench (that’s Bristow’s, not his bench) and started to talk back. Not sure what was said though as I was too far away.

Does anyone know what happened to Kuhl? He was on the pitch during the pre-match warm up, but wasn’t standing by the dugout in his usual spot.
It was the second match of his touchline ban I think.
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Angus Mac

Post by Flipper »

Yorkieandy wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 23:08 This is the key debate and one which Chesterfield fans are also having at the moment if you check out their BOBS BOARD forum and the thread about a supporters club.
Perhaps the pressure is getting to Owers if he started to answer the crowd back tonight. Could the supporters make him uncomfortable enough to walk away because of all the flack he's getting or will get !!1
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Angus Mac

Post by Flipper »

Jerry wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 23:08 It was the second match of his touchline ban I think.
Was the touchline ban for shit coaching ?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Jerry wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 23:08 It was the second match of his touchline ban I think.
He would have got more than a two game ban for that ;-)
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

After tonight's display I can think of no club in the National League 11 tier system who would not make an immediate announcement that the club and the manager have gone their separate ways.

To help Mr Osborne avoid another 'Knee-Jerk' reaction dismissal let us look at what criteria that Mr Osborne should be adopting as to whether to sack a manager or not. Let us base this on a simple model with the assumption that the managers objective set by Mr Osborne was to maximize the number of league points so as to ensure we stayed in the National League for next season.

The club's strategy, therefore should consists of three choices:

1) the length of the honeymoon period during which it will not consider sacking a new manager, and

2) the level of the performance trapdoor below which the manager get the sack, and

3) the weight that it will give to more recent games compared to earlier ones.

The best strategy would have been to have had Owers initially on a short honeymoon period of twelve games thereafter, to set the trapdoor at 1.24 points per game, and to put 47% of the weight on the last five games of every twelve. If the club had adopted this strategy we would have obtained 57 points for the season, compared to required 51 points to stave of relegation.
The 'writing was on the wall' that Owers should have walked during the initial honeymoon period. But he didn't and prolonged his longevity only to clearly fail to met objectives two and three.

So Mr Osborne, no need for 'knee jerk' reactions this time round, your handpicked manager has failed to met his objectives. Your a businessman its time to make your decision - sack Owers for his failure as a football manager or keep him to manipulate the clubs demise next season for your hidden agenda.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Guildford Gull wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 20:37 And someone on this forum said earlier this week they don't blame the players!
I hold my hand up, GG - that was me. :Oops: But most of the players let themselves down badly tonight. Rhys Healey's frustration with what was going on around him was plain to see.

Without trawling back through for my original post, what I think I posted was that I didn't blame the players as much as the lack of tactics and motivation from the management team. I still stand by that, but tonight's match was as bad as it can possibly get. We keep posting that it can't get any worse, well it just did again tonight.
Stretford_Gull

Post by Stretford_Gull »

It’s hard to find words really isn’t it.

I’ve struggled all season to look at results because it’s been too painful. I found my life to be slightly more enjoyable if I didn’t know that we’d just lost at home to a team from a moor near Solihull. I’ve had plenty to worry about otherwise and after certain results against certain teams I’ve kinda tried to call it a day because it’s unwanted stress. Inadvertently I found out results and league positions and somehow managed to keep in touch without actually going to game in a season, for the first time in 21 years. After we got relegated I mustered up the courage to have a look to see how we got on against the leagues bottom club, at home. We had nothing to lose.
Lost against the worst team in the league who played 87 minutes with a player less.
It’s like a joke isn’t it?

What an absolute horror show.

Everyone involved in this season should be utterly ashamed of themselves. I wonder if the players and manager feel hard done by because a few people shouted at them. They’ve failed. They’ve let a proud club down.
I hate Clarke osbourne for what he’s done to this club and I feel frustrated that he’s been allowed to do it and that he wants to do it and still have the gall to issue a positive statement on the website.

It’s going to get worse of course. We’ll lose our ‘best’ players and replace them with players who aren’t much better than you or I. Think of the teams we’ll get beaten by next season. With Gary Owers inexplicably still in charge.

It’s just so so sad. I don’t feel like I’ve got a club to support anymore. From the bottom of my heart, I wish that we would cease to exist because it’s just less painful that way.

Next season we’ll be playing Truro city (unless they get promoted) When I was in college one of my classmates played up front for Truro. He was 16 and slightly better than your average 16 year old.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Quite possibly the worst result in our history. To play over 90 minutes (injury time included) against 10 men, the bottom club in dire form, travelling down on the day and nothing to play for. Yes, you could argue we had nothing to play for. You can blame Owers and why not, but equally these shower of shit players have to take some responsibility, it doesn't help when half of them don't give a shit as they rejoin Cardiff city , Bristol city etc. But these loan players are the ones performing to an extent which makes it even worse. Absolute joke. Owers just quit. Surely you aren't that thick skinned. Personally the entire squad needs overhauling, apart from Dorel.
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 22:19 Absolute **** disgrace of a result against the worst team in the conference.

Bounce back? Not a **** chance.

Cretin for an owner - **** off.
Cretin for a general manager - **** off
Cretin for a football manager - **** off.
Most of the players give as much of a shit about us as my work colleagues, none of whom like football in any way, shape or form, so they can all **** off too.

Bastards the lot of them.
in that case you need to sack the lot of them
Lucy
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Stretford_Gull wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 00:04 It’s hard to find words really isn’t it.

I’ve struggled all season to look at results because it’s been too painful. I found my life to be slightly more enjoyable if I didn’t know that we’d just lost at home to a team from a moor near Solihull. I’ve had plenty to worry about otherwise and after certain results against certain teams I’ve kinda tried to call it a day because it’s unwanted stress. Inadvertently I found out results and league positions and somehow managed to keep in touch without actually going to game in a season, for the first time in 21 years. After we got relegated I mustered up the courage to have a look to see how we got on against the leagues bottom club, at home. We had nothing to lose.
Lost against the worst team in the league who played 87 minutes with a player less.
It’s like a joke isn’t it?

What an absolute horror show.

Everyone involved in this season should be utterly ashamed of themselves. I wonder if the players and manager feel hard done by because a few people shouted at them. They’ve failed. They’ve let a proud club down.
I hate Clarke osbourne for what he’s done to this club and I feel frustrated that he’s been allowed to do it and that he wants to do it and still have the gall to issue a positive statement on the website.

It’s going to get worse of course. We’ll lose our ‘best’ players and replace them with players who aren’t much better than you or I. Think of the teams we’ll get beaten by next season. With Gary Owers inexplicably still in charge.

It’s just so so sad. I don’t feel like I’ve got a club to support anymore. From the bottom of my heart, I wish that we would cease to exist because it’s just less painful that way.

Next season we’ll be playing Truro city (unless they get promoted) When I was in college one of my classmates played up front for Truro. He was 16 and slightly better than your average 16 year old.

And unfortunately not looking forward to the monotone and mournful tones of Owers as we lose to East Thurrock and Osborne a few weeks later stating he's the man for the job!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

But the penny ain't dropped for some fans.

"Boycotting plays into Osbournes hannds"
" Good example why you shouldn't boycott"
"It can't get any worse"

Well it can get worse, you can buy your season ticket, handover your well earned next season and get relegated again.

It isn't about football, it's about land people, wake up for God's sake. If you want to save this club. Like I do, do something about it!

If 500 turn up for home matches next season that will be OK for Osbourne, he ain't gonna pay any big wages anyway, and if you think he's gonna bank roll a whole season on what would be quality players for nls your barking mad. Also his got his management pals to pay,and they are staying.

If 0 turn up, that's a different story.

I know, I'm wasting my time, but I do have the satisfaction that Osbourne ain't getting any of my money. Not much of one I know.
TUST MEMBER
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Neal wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 06:18 But the penny ain't dropped for some fans.

"Boycotting plays into Osbournes hannds"
" Good example why you shouldn't boycott"
"It can't get any worse"

Well it can get worse, you can buy your season ticket, handover your well earned next season and get relegated again.

It isn't about football, it's about land people, wake up for God's sake. If you want to save this club. Like I do, do something about it!

If 500 turn up for home matches next season that will be OK for Osbourne, he ain't gonna pay any big wages anyway, and if you think he's gonna bank roll a whole season on what would be quality players for nls your barking mad. Also his got his management pals to pay,and they are staying.

If 0 turn up, that's a different story.

I know, I'm wasting my time, but I do have the satisfaction that Osbourne ain't getting any of my money. Not much of one I know.
Yes, exactly this.

Osborne has also shown that when the heat is turned up he comes out with a statement.

He cannot get the ground. The council will have to vote for this and the majority are against it. Perhaps he is hiding his time, trying to demonstrate that he is a suitable owner and custodian of the town’s football club. He cannot demonstrate this is nobody is going anymore and people are protesting and boycotting.

And if none of that works, well then he has his strategy and whilst he owns the club there is nothing any of us can do about it, whether it takes him a year or ten years to get the freehold.

Every penny supporters pay through the gate helps Osborne suck the lifeblood out of our football club. Supporters should have backed TUST when they had the chance.
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

Did not go last night but it sounds really bad. I have absolutely no faith in the management or ownership and will not be giving them any of my money next season. I have not attend much this year and as time goes by it gets easier. I am finding other things to do on a Saturday and not automatically thinking about who we are playing and how we are doing. Not completely 'over' TUFC but it will not be long. Sad but true.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Nichos players during the great escapes were spirited and determined, there was a sense of urgency and quality albeit at the end, but that performance last night was the same old same old and very depressing and where has our football team gone! What have they done to it! Shamefull! Owers does need to go and he knows it.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Sadly I tend to agree with you. Wasn't sure before but when a manager starts to blame his players publicly, then the end is surely in sight (or it would be at most clubs).