Torquayunited v FC Halifax 14/4/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 10:34 Phil - I'm disappointed to hear you say that.
Well Brucie - you will be disappointed with me as well. I will be at Plainmoor for the final three home games but after that I will be 'out the gate' with Modgull Phil. Like Portugull, Wivel and others, I have followed the ups and downs and downs of Torquay United for over 60 years. TUFC has been ingrained in me since my old man first took me to Plainmoor in the days of Eric Webber, but I'm not bothering with NLS standard football ...... unless the team happen to be near the top (unlikely with the present owner/general manager set up in my view), then I might become a 'fair weather' supporter.

You can point to Stockport and Hereford and how the fans have stuck with those clubs. The difference is that both clubs have been through difficult times, but are now being run on a firmer basis. I understand that Stockport are now out of debt, for example. Until we come through our 'difficult times' (with different ownership etc), we will stagnate in NLS, hovering just above Weston-super-Mare in the league table if we're lucky. Yes, I'm upset, angry, pi$$ed off and the poor cat has had a good kicking, but enough is enough. I'd rather watch Buckland Athletic which I probably will. At least their players are playing because they WANT to play and those running the club have a genuine interest in football (as do those running the clubs which you occasionally watch in North Devon, Brucie).
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

brucie wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 10:34 Phil - I'm disappointed to hear you say that.
Yes, sorry about that Terry but, having supported this club since 1971 (although attendances from 1972 were rare once I went up north to Uni and to the South East for work and whilst I played rugby on Saturdays) I refuse to continue to do so in regional football. It was hard enough accepting we were no longer a football league club but this will be one step too far down the football pyramid. I know I am not alone in this and I expect attendances to drop significantly thus making a comeback even more unlikely - very saddening.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It does sadden me that regular longstanding supporters are giving up on the team. Its not at all a criticism of anybody just a sad reflection on whats happened to the club.

Could anyone of us ever have imagined that we would be playing Weston Super Mare and Truro? I can imagine how demoralising it has been if you have been going regular.

I have only attended two home games this season - and that's the least I have been to since 1962 (when I was four!!!)

Personally I would still be turning up if I lived in Torbay but I just couldn't justify the effort of a 3 hour round trip, plus there are some personal circumstances where it is not practical for me to be away from home for hours on end.

I am just hoping that we do well next year and this might rekindle some peoples interest but I can hardly remember when we have had a winning team.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 23:39It does sadden me that regular longstanding supporters are giving up on the team. Its not at all a criticism of anybody just a sad reflection on whats happened to the club. Could anyone of us ever have imagined that we would be playing Weston Super Mare and Truro? I can imagine how demoralising it has been if you have been going regular.
Once upon a time in the first quarter of my lifetime, Weston-Super-Mare were regular Western League opponents of our reserve team and Truro City of our nursery club Newton Spurs in the South Western League.

The average gate has been halved since losing Football League status four years ago; that gives everyone an idea of just what a loss of status means and now we are losing further status; expect the trend to continue. If the gate even hits four figures on Saturday, I'll be surprised.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

tomogull wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 13:00 Well Brucie - you will be disappointed with me as well. I will be at Plainmoor for the final three home games but after that I will be 'out the gate' with Modgull Phil. Like Portugull, Wivel and others, I have followed the ups and downs and downs of Torquay United for over 60 years. TUFC has been ingrained in me since my old man first took me to Plainmoor in the days of Eric Webber, but I'm not bothering with NLS standard football ...... unless the team happen to be near the top (unlikely with the present owner/general manager set up in my view), then I might become a 'fair weather' supporter.

You can point to Stockport and Hereford and how the fans have stuck with those clubs. The difference is that both clubs have been through difficult times, but are now being run on a firmer basis. I understand that Stockport are now out of debt, for example. Until we come through our 'difficult times' (with different ownership etc), we will stagnate in NLS, hovering just above Weston-super-Mare in the league table if we're lucky. Yes, I'm upset, angry, pi$$ed off and the poor cat has had a good kicking, but enough is enough. I'd rather watch Buckland Athletic which I probably will. At least their players are playing because they WANT to play and those running the club have a genuine interest in football (as do those running the clubs which you occasionally watch in North Devon, Brucie).
I have supported Torquay since the early 70s, similar story, taken by Dad and Granddad. I have attended with varying regularity, depending on circumstances, ever since.
I went to watch Buckland in February, a group of us former 'Kerswell players, sponsored the match ball, had a meal, a few drinks and watched the game. We had a great time, were made to feel really welcome and someone from the club even gave a couple of the guys a lift back to the train station at the end of the evening. The added bonus for me is the ground is a five minute walk away. Buckland won the match but the point is, it didn't 'matter'. The emotion was not there, chatting to mates was more important. Fast forward to Easter Monday, I was there on the Popside , a man in his fifties, jumping around, singing and shouting, totally immersed with events on the pitch.
I don't know what I will do next season, I just want us to be locking horns with Argyle, City and Rovers again. I suppose it is a case of sticking with TUST and waiting to pick up the pieces.
TUST number 080
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

brucie wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 23:39 It does sadden me that regular longstanding supporters are giving up on the team. Its not at all a criticism of anybody just a sad reflection on whats happened to the club.

Could anyone of us ever have imagined that we would be playing Weston Super Mare and Truro? I can imagine how demoralising it has been if you have been going regular.

I have only attended two home games this season - and that's the least I have been to since 1962 (when I was four!!!)

Personally I would still be turning up if I lived in Torbay but I just couldn't justify the effort of a 3 hour round trip, plus there are some personal circumstances where it is not practical for me to be away from home for hours on end.

I am just hoping that we do well next year and this might rekindle some peoples interest but I can hardly remember when we have had a winning team.
Just another anecdote to underline what I think many feel.

My son has already given up on the Club despite me having brought him to games since he was 7. He used to be mad keen (latterly he was an away supporter only due to living away from Devon) and tried to recruit as many of his friends to the cause as possible, despite the fact that we live in Argyle-land. One of his mates sat with us on Tuesday night and I felt so guilty - guilty that I had saddled these youngsters (well not so young now!) with supporting such a basket case of a Club.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Charley the Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by Charley the Gull »

Can't believe I am agreeing with most of the sentiments posted as I've been a supporter for well over 50 years. This year has been so ruddy depressing and now the team seem resigned to relegation - just look at the defence on Tuesday. How come we have played good football at times but only for short periods? Have to say I don't see myself renewing my season ticket next year but will come to matches when I am free. Always a supporter at heart but need convincing there is a way back.

Is it true the fat lady has been booked to sing tomorrow?????
PeteGull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Effete

Post by PeteGull »

madgull wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 10:03 The one silver lining if relegation is confirmed next game: the last couple of home games can be spent in full protest mode against the ownership without the worries we had last year of 'affecting the relegation fight.'
Agree!

But I do feel as if we as fans shouldn't be moving to watch other clubs when we get relegated, we need to try our best to get rid of the ownership and owers and try to revive the club
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

PeteGull wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 18:08 Agree!

But I do feel as if we as fans shouldn't be moving to watch other clubs when we get relegated, we need to try our best to get rid of the ownership and owers and try to revive the club
So if and when we get relegated who does everyone protest against? And I am not being flippant here! Are we to protest against Harrup for picking Owers as the Manager accusing him of not knowing enough about football. Or are We protesting against Osbourne for not coming to watch this shower every week? What are the protests signs going to entail? Osbourne stop paying the wages, Stop promising full-time next season. Stop spending money on a academy or new training facilities.
If he walks away which I assume is what most want? What happens the supporters trust takes over without a pot to piss in. Some rich weathly Torquay fan comes out of the woodwork and takes us to the promise land. You know half the clubs in national league are looking for news owners and maybe will not be around next season.
Who's fault is it they we have been a shower of shite all season, Cannot defend cannot attack is it Osbourne? Maybe if he would have come to watch every week we would be mid-table!!
We have been rubbish and in a rubbish league we cannot even secure mid-table. Owers has been a complete let down. Thats who the protests need to be against he has had 35 games and done nothing. Time to go so we can start with a clean slate...
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 18:49
So if and when we get relegated who does everyone protest against? And I am not being flippant here! Are we to protest against Harrup for picking Owers as the Manager accusing him of not knowing enough about football. Or are We protesting against Osbourne for not coming to watch this shower every week? What are the protests signs going to entail? Osbourne stop paying the wages, Stop promising full-time next season. Stop spending money on a academy or new training facilities.
If he walks away which I assume is what most want? What happens the supporters trust takes over without a pot to piss in. Some rich weathly Torquay fan comes out of the woodwork and takes us to the promise land. You know half the clubs in national league are looking for news owners and maybe will not be around next season.
Who's fault is it they we have been a shower of shite all season, Cannot defend cannot attack is it Osbourne? Maybe if he would have come to watch every week we would be mid-table!!
We have been rubbish and in a rubbish league we cannot even secure mid-table. Owers has been a complete let down. Thats who the protests need to be against he has had 35 games and done nothing. Time to go so we can start with a clean slate...
So we protest to get rid of Owers, then what? It was Osborne, not Harrop, who chose Owers. Whether Osborne chose Owers because he lived nearby or he was cheaper than Harrop's choice I don't know, but the problem is at the top. Sack Owers and Osborne will probably pick someone else just as useless.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Like it or not Owers is not going to be sacked. He's already offering contracts and looking at new players. We've known this for weeks so why keep on about changing the Head Coach? Our opinions are not being asked.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

lets hope for a Lottery win tonight then.........
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Core support will drop next year but if we are winning and pushing for promotion crowds will pick up. People like to watch a winning team.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

nickbrod wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 19:51 Like it or not Owers is not going to be sacked. He's already offering contracts and looking at new players. We've known this for weeks so why keep on about changing the Head Coach? Our opinions are not being asked.
Keep hearing that Osborne is and always has been convinced Owers is the right man for the job but this post from Pete F on the TFF suggests this hasn't actually always been the case.

http://torquayfans.boards.net/thread/12 ... nformation

If he agreed to meet to talk about the position in November it suggests he wasn't convinced then and nothing Owers has done since can have made him more convinced surely?

Just because "honest" Clarke (or his lackey Chris Rich) have said Owers is definitely here next season doesn't mean it's true.
Jacket8
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Durrell berry

Post by Jacket8 »

Why not just get behind the players and give them the support they need!