Torquay v AFC Fylde 11/04 (was pp on 3/3/18)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

uffculme1 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 15:24 Right who's to blame, because we have to have a scapegoat for any failure, there has to be someone who's fault it is, combinations of people don't work although if you are the general manager, manager, coach or chairman its great news, it reduces the blame game falling at your door by deflecting and sharing it about.
The chairman is a self admitted moron when it comes to matters football, not a rare situation in today's game, he needs someone who understands the game to run the club and by slight of hand and mirrors and dubious recommendations Harrop becomes self appointed king of the club, if the chairman had done his homework he would have seen the massive gaps in Harrops C.V. when it comes to managerial experience of any kind of anything and anyone over 16 years of age.
The manager and coach who by todays standards are long in the tooth and have never coached together at this level or more inportantly aspired to work at a higher level, understood from day one they were taking over a basket case, were they third or fourth choice,it doesn't matter they were hamstrung by what they had inherited,lack of budget and their ability to loan players.They hoped against hope to get lucky and keep us in the national league for another season and by extension keep the pay checks rolling in.
Our playing squad are the ones we see letting us down every saturday and boy they have done that in spades, but they are coached to play a certain way, each supporter has his own favourite and those they think should be considering a career outside football, I am no different, my first and foremost quality in a footballer at this level should be passion , to play for the shirt and give a full ninety minutes of non stop effort, ninety minutes in a week seems a not unreasonable request, too many of our team and footballers in general these days think that because they have a little talent in their body they have the right to swan through their careers doing just enough to get picked each week, especially at a club like Torquay when there is no competition for places, so you can put in sub par performances every week and still get picked.
So next season in the national south, do we keep going with the same old faces of our so called stars of the team or start afresh, there can be no doubt it will not be a given next season that we will have success, full time or part time matters little at this level ,who you have playing does, I would like to see every player on a reduced paying contract with a large bonus for promotion, that way they might wish to invest in the sucess of the club as opposed to our squad who get paid reagrdless of whther they work up a sweat.
The problem is, who's on two year contracts and this is why Osborne has stated that we will be full time next season. We are all annoyed but someone signed several players with injuries and the rot set in as it's hard to get back on a winning run ask Hargreaves and Nicholson.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Is be surprised if no release cause if relegated from the club's stance
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

DevonYellow wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 23:27 Romain and Dorel only.

Romain will get a better deal closer to home though.

Luke Young has been part of a team that has continually failed over recent seasons. I will lose no sleep if he goes.

PS - if those three are all you'd offer contacts to our squad is clearly not good enough!
You need to be very very careful Devon Yellow , you can't go around on this forum dissing the habitual loser aka Luke Young, amazingly, to a lot he's a special talent , a flatters to deceive type of player, but ever since he's been here this team has struggled with him in it , granted he has done well to come back from, what could've been, a career ending injury, he's always been a part of the continuous problem on the pitch & never the solution.
The thing is with some of the supporters, failure & TUFC go hand in hand, they don't know any different.
Get rid of the feckin lot from the GM down then maybe we'll have a chance next season, but don't hold your breath.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

I do not see the point of associating blame, The chairman will take much of the wrath along with Owers and Harrop. Ultimately we were not good enough have not been for the last few seasons to many loan players maybe. In fairness I think Nicho had to go! Lets not go on the "He would have saved us train"!!! We were going no where and fast no wins in the first 10!!! They bring Owers in fair appointment at first glance, No one thought he would have such little impact. Its not worked he has done nothing had 37 games and we are in the same position. If it is a results business he has to go. Maybe should have gone a few weeks ago to give us a fighting chance.
Lets look for someone who can turn this ship around. We have to get winners in maybe change the whole team.
It is so frustrating, Some of the team in league have a job getting 700 fans through the door half of them seem to be on verge of going out of business, I just cannot get my around how bad we are and all season... When Ling went to Orient at the start of the season He apparently did not have any players on the books or maybe one or two! how come they are safe!
Why has it been so depressing supporting this team.. It even depresses me as I write.. How come it has been like this for 3 seasons. Can we get any lower being a Torquay fan..
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Looking for any positives from last night. Brett Williams takes a good penalty. Clark, Gowling and McGinty are fantastic at the game 'Musical Statues'. The way they all stopped as one for Fylde's 3rd goal had to be seen to be believed.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Luke Young runs for England and is playing at full stretch all the time and it's the coaches job to get him to play within himself. A player like this needs a containing job, yes sit in front of the back four and use his passing of 20 to 30 yard balls setting the team up to attack. I have notice he runs where the ball is and is not disciplined or has never been told to play in a more defensive area. Luke is a talent but is not consistent and flatters to deceive when he's chasing around. A good manager would make him a better player because he's got it in him.
After his injury I pointed out that the way Nicholson had him more forward when he was crashing into players like a headless chicken it was ridiculous an experienced manager would see this. You do not play a player who can hit long accurate balls in a forward position you play him deeper.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Soupdragon wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 11:42 I accept that I know little about football, and less about refereeing. And yes, I chose to stay at home last night and watch City v Liverpool rather than traipse up to Plainmoor and be completely, entirely and totally depressed by yet another poor home performance. So I can’t comment on our game.

I’m on record here as being unconvinced by Owers. I’ve been unconvinced since the day he arrived (really, I blame Merse for that: breaking the ‘news’ on BTPIR that we were definitely getting Westley. Except we didn’t. Almost anyone would have been a disappointment after that. To me at least), and I am even more unconvinced now. Owers been here since 13 September, eight whole months; was given an improved budget (not to mention the cash it took to ‘poach‘ him); was given an improved club infrastructure to support him in terms of travel and hotel stays and the like; has brought in in excess of two entire teams of players; yet has achieved precisely nothing.

Steve Breed says Owers looked like a beaten man last night. With the only exception I can think of being the “We’re not rubbish anymore” interview (what a joke), he’s actually looked like a beaten man for the entire time he’s been here. It’s proven: the team’s NOT fitter than when Nicho was here; they’re NOT more organised on field than when Nicho was here; they’re not ‘better’ than when Nicho was here. I accept that Nicho was 'green', that he made mistakes ... but there was/is definitely something there. Something that could have been nurtured and developed, and we would be - at worst - no worse off than we are now.

However, I genuinely believe that Nicho would have managed to get us out of it, even without Owers’ improved budget, even if he still had to drive the team bus at stupid o’clock in the morning to get to games. And, yes, even if he was still pitching up at the Lousia Carey ward or similar every other lunchtime. Nothing the likes of Merse or his cadre of yes-men can say could actually prove otherwise.

What has been proved is that, even with Clarke Osbourne putting his hand in his pocket to the tune of, what, half a million quid since last September, Owers has come up short. And he has turned what, on paper, could have been a ‘team’, into nothing more than a shower.
Owers’ Shower. An appropriate name, I think.

I shall attempt to forget Torquay United this evening, and hope that Juventus can overturn their deficit against Ronaldo Madrid (although since visiting Lisbon and seeing how that fine city rests upon his shoulders, tourism-wise, I have become something of a fan of his. And that goal! Although nowhere near as good as Hilly’s, of course).

I suspect there are plenty that will forget TUFC full stop. And with the current ownership’s plans for our club, that is far from good for us.

Tl;dr, I know. Forgive me. It’s only because I’m damn angry.
:goodpost: :goodpost: :

Really glad I couldn’t make it last night or to any of the remaining fixtures, sounds as though the players have all but confirmed in their own minds they’ve been relegated, I did notice today though, that they’ve been go karting, on a team bonding exercise, I’d say it’s 12 months too late!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Clapped off last night and then taken go-karting today??

You couldn't make this shite up!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

arcadia wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 18:50 Luke Young runs for England and is playing at full stretch all the time and it's the coaches job to get him to play within himself. A player like this needs a containing job, yes sit in front of the back four and use his passing of 20 to 30 yard balls setting the team up to attack. I have notice he runs where the ball is and is not disciplined or has never been told to play in a more defensive area. Luke is a talent but is not consistent and flatters to deceive when he's chasing around. A good manager would make him a better player because he's got it in him.
After his injury I pointed out that the way Nicholson had him more forward when he was crashing into players like a headless chicken it was ridiculous an experienced manager would see this. You do not play a player who can hit long accurate balls in a forward position you play him deeper.
I take it you mean the long accurate balls like the ones straight from kick off that go straight into touch or straight to the grateful oppositions full back ?
I just cannot agree Luke Young is a talent waiting to happen in a TUFC shirt, he may do it for someone else , but for us he's been mediocre at best & it's too late for him in a TUFC shirt, time to move him on & get in players who know how to succeed at this level & not be a habitual loser.
Yes, ok, I'm not a member of the Luke Young appreciation club, I appreciate his efforts but he just hasn't been good enough for me.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

DevonYellow wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 19:26 Clapped off last night and then taken go-karting today??

You couldn't make this shite up!
I hope it's installed in their lose bonus, don't want an fa investigation like Accrington last week :aww:
Lucy
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Team bonding ??? I would be sat at home with my head in my hands working out how I could improve my own personal performance and implement that into a group situation and spreading a positive uplifting cast off from it

It's none of my business what they do ..ok go-kart together but don't dress it up as team bonding
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Teigngull wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 19:30 I take it you mean the long accurate balls like the ones straight from kick off that go straight into touch or straight to the grateful oppositions full back ?
I just cannot agree Luke Young is a talent waiting to happen in a TUFC shirt, he may do it for someone else , but for us he's been mediocre at best & it's too late for him in a TUFC shirt, time to move him on & get in players who know how to succeed at this level & not be a habitual loser.
Yes, ok, I'm not a member of the Luke Young appreciation club, I appreciate his efforts but he just hasn't been good enough for me.
That is a bad example as all he's doing is hitting an area to press. He's better than what we've seen this year.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

As Portugull wrote, Fylde won because they were better, they won most aerial contests at the back and the front, and especially PLAYED AS A TEAM. In fact for most of the season we have had the frustrating spectacle of other teams showing themselves to be better organised than us.
So if Owers stays will he continue to set up with 5 at the back (and yet we concede two goals to unchallenged headers), with our two midfielders who are most likely to hit the back of the net from the edge of the penalty area playing deep in front of the back 5, with no wingers, with two forwards running in different areas and not linking together, with overlapping full-backs hitting hopeful high balls beyond the far post (who have we had all season who was going to score with a bullet header?), with a midfielder apparently behind the front two who cannot head a ball or tackle??????
If only we had appointed Mark Yates when we had the chance...
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

stephen breed wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 10:31 went against the grain and went up last night of the first time this season wow they really are absolutely awful. the defending for the 2nd and 3rd goal was really something out of the keystone cop 11 handbook do people actually rate that Sean mcginty he is dire and gowling beside him is a accident waiting to happen. I watched luke young for a fair part of that game last night he cannot wait to get rid of the ball every time he has it rushed passes backwards passes no thrust whatsoever what has happened to him. It was a sad watch even worse was the many fans I chatted to last night all seam to have the same opinion that the owners and management of the club could not care a jot about what's going on the pitch. People I have known for many years the go every game brigade saying we should have done what you did and just walked away that's such a sad thing to hear. Can they rebuild you would hope so with the infistructure all in place and a loyal base of 1200 fans but they need to start with a bang next season to keep them. Is owers the man to do it I am not sure his body language last night was one of a beaten man. One other thing how would you price up season tickets and normal match day tickets next season what could they realistically expect people to pay to get in to watch the likes of Hemel hemsted and concord

rangers difficult call that but one the need to get bang on.. stephen
It hasn't helped that to me Owers body language has been dire since he's been here.Even when we win which admittedly is rare the monotony of his voice remains the same .He sounds like he's permanently depressed which I suppose with most performances he is but just maybe had he shown a bit of passion to the players throughout The season they may have put a bit more effort in to gain a few more points.Whatever work we are in or even socially people thrive off positivity and at present Owers shows none.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Genius Owers......you quite rightly said that basic defending errors cost us, so instead of getting back on the training ground and working on that, you take them go karting!! Absolute genius!!!! Let me guess Gowling picked up a knock today as someone drove into him!!

We’ll see where we are at the end of the season....relegated that’s where!!