Chester v Torquay United, 3pm, Good Friday, 30/3/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

lucy6lucy wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 20:49 Witnessed my first win of the season. If we are going down at least the players are fighting, absolutely dominated this game. I'm still not sure if it was Chester who where woeful made us look good or we where the Brazil of the West Country. Seriously though Chester are down, the home atmosphere was like being at a funeral. Credit though, the attendance of 1800 will be more than most in this league.
Romain was a warhorse he unlike Reid has a quality to his final product. Dorel had a quiet day, but his handling and reading of the game is superb.
We should have won this 5-0, but job done today.
Great turnout from the yellow army, but I sense most feel this victory today isn't enough to survive. Woking and barrow are the teams we can only realistically catch now, which makes Woking at home on Monday a must must win.
Nice to meet Michael of the TUST and SNW and his [highlight=yellow]other half[/highlight].
edited for accuracy. :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

just got back from rainy Chester after an enjoyable game and a few evening drinks.
well, that went OK.
make no mistake, we were the better side from the 1st minute to the last. As has been said, were Chester that bad making us look half decent?
I'd have to say no, as I thought that the team put in a good performance. the early goal settled the team and we were comfortable.
Romain, was excellent all game. the goal topped off his performance (a good corner in from Youngy by the way) and the big smile on his face as he came over to the fans!
Defence was solid - the only chance they had all game produced a decent save from Dorel, but apart from that he had little to do, but his handling from corners and crosses were excellent.
I have to say that Chester are the worse team I have seen us a play in a long time. they had no idea at all, they were going through the motions.
Although there were 1800 fans there, they never made a noise all game! I was told after the game in the clubhouse that they had given kids free tickets and easter eggs to boost the crowd. Its a shame to see them like this, but I suppose its no different to us and our cause.
I didn't leave the ground until about 5.45pm as I ended up having a good chat with TUFC legend fan Paul Bastard.... as we were chatting the players were coming out to get on the coach and seemed positive about our chances. As for Gary Owers, when he came out for a chat, he had a big smile on his face - after that performance, I could understand why.

Up the Gulls.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 14:31

West Yorks even retracted what he said and the criticism continues. I suggest apologies are in order.
With respect to West Yorks her did not retract the statement because of the criticism received.
If you look at his reply to my criticism of the Owers comment and then remember a private message I sent you, you'll know why he withdrew the comment.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 15:44 With respect to West Yorks her did not retract the statement because of the criticism received.
If you look at his reply to my criticism of the Owers comment and then remember a private message I sent you, you'll know why he withdrew the comment.
Points taken P78. I understand now.

You were the first person to directly respond to Westie about his comments which was fair enough if left at that but then you get every tom dick and harry sticking his oar in afterwards and the thread just ends up becoming a massive slag off list of someone who simply thought that he deserved acknowledgment from Owers having spent time and money travelling to see his team play.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 11:28 What a ridiculous situation. we win 2-0 and people are carping because Owers didn't clap the fans.

He doesn't deserve the abuse he gets. If he had been here at the start of the season we wouldn't have gone down. Hardly his fault that we didn't win a game for nigh on a quarter of a season.

We desperately need Mondays game on now though and that isn't looking at all likely. Newton Abbott races are off today.

How the hell do you make this assumption?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

He pretty much WAS here at the start of the season give or take a month. He's had 6 full months and yet the club are still in the bottom 4. Plenty of time to be able to sort a side out that is capable of finishing above 4 other poor teams in this league. Nobody was asking play offs.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

To put it in perspective; he arrived with 90% of the budget committed and facing a situation where many of the players he was approaching regarding signing didn't want to know.

When a club has had negative publicity rendering it a laughing stock such as the previous manager driving them around in a mini bus or players having to use their own cars to get to away games; this is the toxic legacy and it still pervades today. It will take years to live that Fred Karno image down.

I'm not defending his points from games ratio ~ absolutely not ~ but like the last manager; he can only work with what is available to him. Neither can anyone defend the absolutely chaotic pre-season and start to the season of Nicholson and Co. Neither he, Herrera or the 'fitness' psycho in the turned round baseball cap have worked in professional football since and neither are they ever likely too (at least at the level they perceive they are capable of). Herrera has done the right thing by distancing himself from this circus and is far more likely to gain employment within a coaching structure somewhere if he accepts the terms and conditions and location.

When you get fired by a club like Torquay United there isn't much hope of getting another job elsewhere, and Owers will be aware of that.......believe me!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Yorkieandy wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 14:31 Typical of some fans on here.

West Yorkshire simply stated that he would have liked to have seen Owers come over and acknowledge the fans. I didn't see the bit where he was 'slating' Owers so please point this out to me. I also gave my view about managers in general and the moral code around this sort of thing. No slating at all.

Another thread hijacked by people who can't read things through properly.

West Yorks even retracted what he said and the criticism continues. I suggest apologies are in order.
I doubt West Yorks is that sensitive Andy! I would happily stand in the pop side and have ten bucketfuls of camel piss chucked over me if we stay up this season, followed up ten minutes chanting of “He’s a wa***r”. I doubt even that would be enough, but at least we have a grain of hope (a very small grain) for one more game.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

merse btpir wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 17:42 To put it in perspective; he arrived with 90% of the budget committed and facing a situation where many of the players he was approaching regarding signing didn't want to know.

When a club has had negative publicity rendering it a laughing stock such as the previous manager driving them around in a mini bus or players having to use their own cars to get to away games; this is the toxic legacy and it still pervades today. It will take years to live that Fred Karno image down.

I'm not defending his points from games ratio ~ absolutely not ~ but like the last manager; he can only work with what is available to him. Neither can anyone defend the absolutely chaotic pre-season and start to the season of Nicholson and Co. Neither he, Herrera or the 'fitness' psycho in the turned round baseball cap have worked in professional football since and neither are they ever likely too (at least at the level they perceive they are capable of). Herrera has done the right thing by distancing himself from this circus and is far more likely to gain employment within a coaching structure somewhere if he accepts the terms and conditions and location.

When you get fired by a club like Torquay United there isn't much hope of getting another job elsewhere, and Owers will be aware of that.......believe me!
Well, correctly in my opinion, Owers is here next season with his squad. Judge him on that.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I've been led to believe that too; come what may.......relegation or not
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

merse btpir wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 17:42 To put it in perspective; he arrived with 90% of the budget committed and facing a situation where many of the players he was approaching regarding signing didn't want to know.

:goodpost:
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

That "fitness psycho" runs one of the best businesses in South Devon, him and his staff have turned around the lives of 100s of the local population suffering from side effects of obesity, mental health issues and low self esteem. What time would he have had with each individual- not much. He probably produced fitness plans for each player and whether they heeded that above or not us up to them.
Players I have seen at Winners, Liam Davis- one of the finds once he stated playing, Angus - now a million pound plus player, luke young - who returned to playing late last season when most had written his season off, Josh gowling - who came to the club with a dubious fitness record and jpp - God loves a tryer, Brendon moore
So before casting aspersions you really should researcha bit better, maybe come out from your keyboard and see what really goes on.
Would he want another job in football - unlikely. He was asked by nicho, a regular at winners, to help him out on the fitness front.
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

merse btpir wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 17:42 Herrera has done the right thing by distancing himself from this circus and is far more likely to gain employment within a coaching structure somewhere if he accepts the terms and conditions and location.
He has in the last couple of weeks rejoined Plymouth's academy as a professional development coach (Shaun Taylor's old position)

Best of luck to him
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Porky wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:20 That "fitness psycho" runs one of the best businesses in South Devon, him and his staff have turned around the lives of 100s of the local population suffering from side effects of obesity, mental health issues and low self esteem. What time would he have had with each individual- not much. He probably produced fitness plans for each player and whether they heeded that above or not us up to them.
Players I have seen at Winners, Liam Davis- one of the finds once he stated playing, Angus - now a million pound plus player, luke young - who returned to playing late last season when most had written his season off, Josh gowling - who came to the club with a dubious fitness record and jpp - God loves a tryer, Brendon moore
So before casting aspersions you really should researcha bit better, maybe come out from your keyboard and see what really goes on.
Would he want another job in football - unlikely. He was asked by nicho, a regular at winners, to help him out on the fitness front.
And not one of these local people with obesity side effects, mental health issues or low self esteem were, at any time, representing TUFC on the field of play were they ?
So no argument there imo.
If the club was paying for fitness programmes designed for each individual, then you'd expect one on one as part of the remit from our manager , wouldn't you ? I would.
It is obvious to all who watch us regularly, we were struggling for MATCH FITNESS & most of our players had put on too much bulk under the ' winners formula ' which resulted in an inability to compete for 90 minutes on the field of play even though our manager publicly stated that there would " BE NOBODY FITTED IN THIS LEAGUE ".
As for Josh Gowling, why are we signing players with a dodgy injury record anyway ?
and as for Pittman, absolutely shocking signing that smacks of desperation along with a fair few other perma crocks still on our rosta.
We needed very available person 100% on it from day one. And we were found wanting once again under the leadership of the illustrious Nicho.
Kind you the tractor tyre got some good advertising out of it.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Teigngull wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 20:03 It is obvious to all who watch us regularly, we were struggling for MATCH FITNESS & most of our players had put on too much bulk under the ' winners formula ' which resulted in an inability to compete for 90 minutes on the field of play even though our manager publicly stated that there would " BE NOBODY FITTED IN THIS LEAGUE ".
I sat amongst some of the non playing home players at an away match and they were in hysterics at the lack of ability of our players to be first to balls, how they were blowing out of their arses when turned and run and by the way they were talking; their manager had identified all this to them in the match preparation.

There is fit and there is match fit; match fitness is all about mental agility and anticipation too ~ we appeared to have none or little of it under Nicholson and his 'guru'. Players need to be lighening quick over the first five yards and quicker than most over ten; far more of the match is spent doing this than in engaging on long runs and a change of pace and direction is worth ten yards to many a player who has got it.

Anyway; the charlatan is gone together wih his tractor tyres and indiscipline in the technical area which was an utter embarrassment when Tranmere Rovers were at Plainmoor back in August. He can concentrate on his core business and it is noteworthy that Owers and Kuhl have managed very nicely without him too!