Torquay v Guiseley 24/04 (PP on 24/3/18)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

desperado wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 15:18 Well there you have it, we are all idiots , we need
to shut up , stop debating the postponement and realise that Luke Young is the reason we are being
relegated
No, you're definitely incorrect on the Luke Young comment.
He's not the sole reason we're being relegated , but he is one of the main reasons, as a senior pro you would've thought he'd be a bit more effective during games, but alas he's always been part if the problem & not the solution, if things are going wrong you expect your senior pros to take the game by the scruff of the neck & rally & gee up others around him to up their games.
This is a major requirement, others in other sides do automatically,alas, not in ours.
So if I was one of you that fawns over the mere mention of our overrated underachieving morons, I'd shut up & start looking for the real reasons we are where we are.
3 seasons of constant struggle is not a coincidence. Is it ?
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

goody2449 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 20:00 Not a favour, just think we should be grateful, we could be in financial woes like most other club in the league. I’d imagine match day revenue, although not much would prob contribute a little to the outgoings
And why do you think he's putting money in to the running of the club? Investment. He has no interest in football, he has no experience in running a football club, do you really think that he's keeping the lights on because of his love for the club and his desire to see it succeed?

He is investing this money with a view to making himself a tidy profit eventually, probably through a property deal that could be the death of our club. Why should we be grateful for that?

This question of whether this investment is coming in the form of loans has been concerning me. It could bring the possibility of Osborne holding the club to ransom over unpaid debts. After all, it's how he acquired the club in the first place!
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Am I naïve or missing something! The guy Osborne is painted as the destroyer of Torquay the grim reaper in disguise! I need someone to enlighten me! Osbourne buys into a struggling club Torquay as we were struggling for a injection of cash as Bristows pulled out, to take it as low as he can for the ground that Torquay lease from the cancel, Keeps spending money on running costs, One assumes the position we are in we must be barely making payroll. As Goody 2449 pointed out teams all around us seem barely able to make it to the end of season and are in debt up to there eyeballs.
Osbourne then makes a promise to keep full-time if or when we get relegated! Why? If he wants to bring the club to its knees? Why not just say we have to go Part-time, everyone would surely understand, then languish in the NLS for a few seasons then close it down? If he is loaning money to Torquay at high interest How does he expect to get it back? If you have money which I assume Osborne does is there not a easier way to make some money then destroy a football club like Torquay for a piece of land which they do not own? Why invest money in a youth set up again? I am not getting it all this work to destroy a club?
He changed manager when everyone thought it the right time to do, He went for Owers one assumes on the fact that he thinks he knows his way around the lower leagues. It has not worked out but how many manager changes do. Maybe if we would have gone with seasoned old pro things would be different but as we all know Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
What am I not getting?
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

Do you read this forum?

Have a look back through Clarke Osborne's track record and then come back to me. Maybe then you will understand why I and many others are sceptical of his intentions.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 21:00 Am I naïve or missing something! The guy Osborne is painted as the destroyer of Torquay the grim reaper in disguise! I need someone to enlighten me! Osbourne buys into a struggling club Torquay as we were struggling for a injection of cash as Bristows pulled out, to take it as low as he can for the ground that Torquay lease from the cancel, Keeps spending money on running costs, One assumes the position we are in we must be barely making payroll. As Goody 2449 pointed out teams all around us seem barely able to make it to the end of season and are in debt up to there eyeballs.
Osbourne then makes a promise to keep full-time if or when we get relegated! Why? If he wants to bring the club to its knees? Why not just say we have to go Part-time, everyone would surely understand, then languish in the NLS for a few seasons then close it down? If he is loaning money to Torquay at high interest How does he expect to get it back? If you have money which I assume Osborne does is there not a easier way to make some money then destroy a football club like Torquay for a piece of land which they do not own? Why invest money in a youth set up again? I am not getting it all this work to destroy a club?
He changed manager when everyone thought it the right time to do, He went for Owers one assumes on the fact that he thinks he knows his way around the lower leagues. It has not worked out but how many manager changes do. Maybe if we would have gone with seasoned old pro things would be different but as we all know Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
What am I not getting?
To be fair here, Minnygull has a point and i too often think the same thing. It often makes no sense trying to fathom out just what CO is up to.

However from my point of view all i know (or think i know) is that CO is a businessman and quite clearly he has no interest in football. He doesn't go to games of his own club, he doesn't engage with the supporters of the club he owns and he doesn't really seem too bothered on the face of it that the club has been relegated into regional football. All we keep hearing is everything is all under control.

So why get involved in a small town non league club that he has no connection with whatsoever? He isn't going to get any return whatsoever by doing this ordinarily.

He has a long history of planning to build new stadia for clubs he has gotten involved in and hasn't yet built even one.

He just looks almightily shifty.

On the balance of probability i conclude that he's after making money from his time at TUFC but how he's going to do that and what his plans are nobody knows.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Minneapolisgull.
If I were you , I'd take the time to join BEYOND THE PENN INN ROUNDABOUT, (BTPIR) , & take the time to read & understand what a certain Clarke Osborne stands for.
In a nutshell, he is a property developer who has a history of promising brand new sports stadiums to various sporting genres but never ever delivering on the promises made.
There is a poster on the BTPIR site who goes by the name of ' the Haldon rambler' read his posts , also posts by Merse are quite revealing too, then you would understand the skeptical attitude towards our so called saviour.
Also seek opinions from Bristol Rovers, Hereford FC, Swindon & Reading Speedway supporters, amongst others, I think you'll get the feeling we're all singing from the same hymn sheet.
And don't forget for a minute, Clarke Osborne acquired the cub because of defaulted loan payments from the last group of owners even though we were categorically told by our ex chairman we wouldn't be bed fellows with Gaming International & a certain Mr C Osborne.
Do as I suggest , then get back to me, you'll be horrified, if you aren't already when the penny finally drops, I promise.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular

[quote=Goose9 post_id=223151 time=1521925382 user_id=24027]
Do you read this forum?
[quote]

Yes I read the forum and I hear Osborne does not interview with the press! Osborne wants the ground Osborne wants to destroy Torquay. Enlighten me where does that come from?
As far as I have read he is a business man he has no history of buying football clubs and disbanding them?
Is the dislike for him is because he has not owned a football club? that goes for half the owners of clubs in the league,
His company has some issues with a promised speedway stadium in Swindon, Yet to start.
Why invest in a Youth set up to bring the club to its knees, seems the wrong way to go? Why promise full-time next season again not the way to go to bring the club to its knees!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Minneapolis.
I'm sure your not daft ,mind you supporting this shower you certainly ain't sane !.
Clarke Osborne (CO) is a business man first & foremost, he acquired the club for approx £100k , (a complete steal) , he is investing on the premise of making a tidy profit not for the love of TUFC or for the love of football.
Any monies put into the club will no doubt be returned to CO in due course accompanied by a huge profit no doubt.
And for instance you managed to acquire a run down delapatated property & you had the means to, let's say, invest a few quid in making it a saleable asset, with out breaking the bank, for a tidy profit. Why wouldn't you try ?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Minneapolisgull........you have been told where the material is to educate yourself as to the history of Clarke Osborne and what I am asking you to do is avail yourself of that opportunity before saying you need enlightening.

A number of people have worked very diligently over a considerable period of time to bring everything about Clarke Osborne into the open. The least you can do is take the opportunity to learn and then make your own judgement safe in he knowledge that you know all about him, his history of broken promises and destruction.

Perhaps if those who allowed his access into the ownership of Torquay United had taken those opportunities we might not be in the situation we are in now. We might have been in a better one; we might have been in a worse one. Either way you are obviously unaware of just why we are where we are at this time and if you take my advice you will be better served to find out for yourself.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular

Teigngull wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 22:17 Minneapolis.
I'm sure your not daft ,mind you supporting this shower you certainly ain't sane !.
Clarke Osborne (CO) is a business man first & foremost, he acquired the club for approx £100k , (a complete steal) , he is investing on the premise of making a tidy profit not for the love of TUFC or for the love of football.
Any monies put into the club will no doubt be returned to CO in due course accompanied by a huge profit no doubt.
And for instance you managed to acquire a run down delapatated property & you had the means to, let's say, invest a few quid in making it a saleable asset, with out breaking the bank, for a tidy profit. Why wouldn't you try ?
O.K. before I go off and read every article ever written about Clark Osbourne, I thought the point of the forum was to share information and opinions(thanks Teigngull for your view) Should I just keep writing Osbourne a ***** and leave our Torquay alone! Thankfully I do understand that Clarke Osbourne is a businessman and he does not support Torquay! Shock horror I thought all clubs in England are owned by passionate fans who travel the length and breadth of the country following there investment I mean team! Before anyone accuses me of living in dreamland the last statement is meant as a joke!
How many people were wanting to invest in Torquay when Osbourne took over? As far as I am aware not many and I am sure someone will tell otherwise if that was the case!
He buys Torquay on the cheap?(again thanks Teigngull) correct! In the hope that the team heads upwards and he sells and makes lot of cash and waves goodbye to the English Riviera. Is it me or has it gone really bad who in there right mind would buy Torquay now? Is there any rich fans out there ready to purchase?
So why keep investing? Which surely he is having to do at the moment and will have to do next year in NLS. The analogy of buying a dilapidated property was used. So it seems he has brought the property and invested some money and the workman have done nothing for a year or two and he has just found out the property is on a Sinkhole.. How do you sell it now and how do you make any money?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Minneapolis.
CO is not going to sell 'TUFC' for profit, he has, by his own admission no interest or knowledge of football per say.
The crux of the matter is, he is after the ground Plainmoor is built on, that is where the real money lies, he also gives the impression he is going to build a multi use stadium where TUFC would play their home games, at no point has he once said TUFC would be the legal owners of this stadium , so a lot of us have in one way or another deduced this as TUFC being ONE of the PAYING Tenants using this facility (paying costly rent, not like the deal we have now with Torbay council, nominal rent & sole tenants) , (if it ever got built) , it has been labeled as a stadium for TORBAY not for TUFC.
Take this as you will, the likes of Rotherham Utd, Colchester Utd Shrewsbury town etc etc have had new Football stadiums built where they are the main tenant with first dibs on the use of the facilities & these stadiums are a huge improvement on what they had before, we will not get anything like this.
This amazing new stadium notion is a ruse for a land grab at plainmoor make no mistake about that.
Bristol Rovers Eastville stadium was developed on the promise of a new stadium in 1998 Rovers were actually turfed out of their home in 1986 because of financial difficulties & made to share Bath Cities ground Twerton Park for a decade or so & now ply their trade at the ex Rugby ground 'the memorial ground' & they are still waiting for their new stadium more than 30 years on, check it out, the BS group (Bristol Stadium company) were involved & who was lurking in the background waiting for the last breaths to leave the corpse like a vulture ? Do the letters CO mean anything to you ? If so can you see why there is so many derogatory comments written about CO on this forum ?
That man has history , & leopards do not change their spots I've always been told.
I also take your point on 'who else was there ?' We are led to believe it was Osborne or administration but you have to be careful who you share your bed with, do you not ?
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

I’m with Minneapolis, it doesn’t make good business sense, at all. The proposed new stadium, leisure facility/complex (that by the way, Torquay as a town desperately needs) is likely to never happen and perhaps will cause TUFC having to pay high rental fees (again though, this is all guess work, no one knows for sure as eluded to earlier in this thread, because no one knows the true plans except CO himself), the land at Plainmoor is hardly perfect, it would take a hell of a lot of infrastructure works to make it good for houses, the road network would need improving also, is it really worth all the outlay for what 100/150 houses??? If he was desperate for land and wanted to waste his money, there’s plenty of it around he could have instead of going through all this at TQ1.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

How did he buy the club 'on the cheap'
Surely the previous owners paid £1 for the club, now that is on the cheap
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Wasn't the club debt free when CO took over for peanuts?

I may have my facts wrong so apologies but if it was and he obtained the club debt free for a paltry sum then it would make sense. Then he would have a business for pretty much nothing and with no debts to clear. The perfect opportunity.

All he needs to do is run the club at a minimal loss, done by signing nobodies on the playing and management side for buttons, make out he's got the club at heart so puts up a smokescreen of youth academy set ups and cheap rebranding of the badge / website etc to make us think he's in it for the football and placates fans long enough despite tumbling down through the leagues and he's got it sorted.

If it goes tits up he doesn't stand to lose much and if it goes his way he's laughing.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

They don't deserve to kept anyway. Chuck the buggers on the scrapheap and let them fend for themselves. They've been given a real opportunity at a cracking football club and blown it by being arrogant and complacent. Mentally weak. Pass them the details for Indeed.com and let them get on with it. Bunch of losers 95% of them.