Torquay v Guiseley 24/04 (PP on 24/3/18)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

What a joke, the snow at the start of the week can’t be used as an excuse, they would of pushed it off the pitch and so when it melted wouldn’t of affected it. Perhaps the 10 grand “securing” the flop that is Owers should of been used on drainage! Hopefully rearrange it for tues!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

I’m updating this topic title for those travelling.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Can't agree that I was looking forward to the match Forever ! Was even debating whether to voluntarily give it a miss for the second time in my life only other time was Colchester in Webb era .Hope it's on Tuesday as I will be away then !
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

goody2449 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 11:24 What a joke, the snow at the start of the week can’t be used as an excuse, they would of pushed it off the pitch and so when it melted wouldn’t of affected it.
Do you honestly really think they did that, think of the size of the pitch and depth of snow, yep i'm sure they brushed it all off to the side :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Formerly known as forevertufc
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by goody2449 »

forevertufc wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 11:47 Do you honestly really think they did that, think of the size of the pitch and depth of snow, yep i'm sure they brushed it all off to the side :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
A professional football club, wouldn’t leave it covered in snow for that very reason. Torquay are obiviously only professional in name. One puddle in the goal mouth, isn’t that what forks and sand is for??
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

desperado wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 11:29 Can't agree that I was looking forward to the match Forever !
True, withdrawal syptoms, wouldn't lasted long though :)

As a general point, this isn't the fault of the Russians, Cambridge Analytica, not even the salad dodger, heavy snow, compacted pitch, follwed by heavy rain, no where to go, but sit on the surface.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

goody2449 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 11:53 A professional football club, wouldn’t leave it covered in snow for that very reason. Torquay are obiviously only professional in name. One puddle in the goal mouth, isn’t that what forks and sand is for??
Not trying to call you out, but how do they get all that snow off the pitch, 50 people with wheelbarrows might have done it in a day, or maybe they should have run a JCB all over the pitch, and then where does all that snow get moved to.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by goody2449 »

The same way u and I get it off our driveways, shovels, brooms, I don’t really care tbh, but a professional club surely wouldn’t leave it on to saturate through when thawing. How many times have u seen pitches on tv with snow all around the sides? It’s not that unrealistic! I think I’m just in a mood cos was looking forward to a saturday at the footy!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

goody2449 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 12:09 The same way u and I get it off our driveways, shovels, brooms, I don’t really care tbh, but a professional club surely wouldn’t leave it on to saturate through when thawing. How many times have u seen pitches on tv with snow all around the sides? It’s not that unrealistic! I think I’m just in a mood cos was looking forward to a saturday at the footy!
I don't dissagree with, we all frustrated, but it's down to the amount of snow, not the snow itself. The Torquay-Newton Abbot back road was closed with snow drifts well over 1 foot high, we've been hit with weather down here the of the likes not seen in well over 20 years, maybe longer, no ones fault.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Sean St Ledger apparently got a sniff at the Torquay team whilst inspecting the playing surface this morning and duly pissed himself with laughter on the centre spot.
This resulted in Geoff Harrops crying to the National league & threatening to confiscate the after match buffet for himself.
These unfortunate actions caused today's game being postponed officially due to a unfit playing surface due to excess moisture !
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well I am surprised. We are the only match today postponed in Leagues 1 & 2 and National League plus NLN and NLS.
However after 3 dry days we did have 12 hours of rain from 5pm yesterday to 5am this morning.Very disappointing but what a winter we have had in the South West.
Little Bodmin Town have had 14 games called off and now have to play 3 times a week for 6 weeks!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No of course it isn't anyones fault. Any fool can see that the amount of snow has left the pitch sodden and if there was a prolonged spell of heavy rainfall for 12 hours overnight then the outcome is surely obvious.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

A waste of time debating with idiots whenever a game is called off. They allow their disappointment to take priority over common sense.

Pitches, where they are and whatever local weather has thrown at them will always reflect that and there is nothing anyone can do about it. The biggest problems at Plainmoor have been the building of Bristows Bench without the necessary drainage work being carried out down below and in front of it and the minimal depth of subsoil beneath the playing surface and beginning of the limestone shelf that it sits on.

The club have said it wasn't even approaching being fit to play on; do you think they wanted it off and if you do; what would they have to gain from it?

Get over it, grow a pair and stop whingeing; what about the coachload of Guiseley fans who had saved all year for a hotel break in the Bay over the weekend to coincide with the match?
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

I can’t believe more clubs don’t have covers too prevent them having games called off. Torquay haven’t played at home since the 3rd February.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

IanGull01 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 13:55 I can’t believe more clubs don’t have covers too prevent them having games called off. Torquay haven’t played at home since the 3rd February.
Are you forgetting 17th and 20th of February. :)