Torquay v Guiseley 24/04 (PP on 24/3/18)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Match off
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Really? What a joke - can't even stage a game now! Well, at least its another Saturday unbeaten.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Re-arranged for tuesday I think
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Exeter managed to get there game on
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

WHG wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 10:02Re-arranged for tuesday I think
What with a trip to Chester for Friday's game?

If not, this mean the Gulls go to there as their fourth consecutive game on the road. There is only one possible Tuesday night available for a re-arrangement as Guiseley host Barrow on April 17th.

Tuesday, April 24th it would be then ~ the last week of the season!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Didn't see that coming - blimey it must have pissed down last night then. We don't seem to have suffered too much with postponements this year. It hasn't really been a bad week around these parts - find it hard to believe that its off.

Can only think the cause is probably the lying snow around Sunday and Monday - that can really make the ground wet and that must be the contributory factor.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

My garden in St Marychurch is under about a millimetre of water so it is no surprise the game has been called off. There is so much misty rain in the air that people walking passed my front window are contemplating putting their hoods up.
It is conceivable that with a couple more timely postponements we could be relegated without having to play again.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

So the official site shows a small puddle in the Family Stand/Bristows Bench corner and the BBC weather website shows only a low probability of rain for the rest of the day and what rain does fall will be light. It is a joke that this game has been postponed - more evidence that this is not really a 'fit-for-purpose' football club. Pathetic. Fuming!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes it is down to the snow. 3 weeks ago up 6 inches settled in this area, Sunday/Monday up to a further 8 inches settled in this area, Wednesday there were still visible pockets of snow around Torbay, so an already saturated pitch had rain dump on it, that started around 4pm yesterday evening and didn't stop all night, result= obvious.

There have been times when Exeter have been postponed at home, and our game game also home has gone ahead, there has been times when TUFC have been psotponed and Newton Spurs have played, different areas, different pitch's, different conditions.

Or, did Exeter invest some of their player sale money, in a full set of pitch covers with frost protection, something we don't have who know's.
Formerly known as forevertufc
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Well that's disappointing. Came down for the weekend for this. Seems a bit hasty. It's not even raining now.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular

Post by IanGull01 »

Joke!! That pitch is not underwater. Kick off is 4 hours away!!

Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves Match is even on at the Rec.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

IanGull01 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 11:01 Joke!! That pitch is not underwater. Kick off is 4 hours away!!

Newton Abbot Spurs Reserves Match is even on at the Rec.
Well atleast my lad will be happy, he's playing in that match. Mate, it's not always what's on top of the pitch, but laying just under the top surface, next time you walk onto any pitch after heavy rain, press your foot down, and see what happens.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular

Post by IanGull01 »

forevertufc wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 11:05 Well atleast my lad will be happy, he's playing in that match. Mate, it's not always what's on top of the pitch, but laying just under the top surface, next time you walk onto any pitch after heavy rain, press your foot down, and see what happens.
Good luck to him!

Just frustrating how a local side can get there game on but Torquay being a professional football club cannot.
Why not engage the fans to try and help drain the pitch to get the game on. I’d have gone out for a few hours with a fork to get the game on.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, I was looking forward to the game also. However sometimes, there's just nothing that can be done, Buckland are off, most of the local programme is off, Newton Spurs can't be used as a comparison however, look at the size of the land their pitch is situated on, it's massive, not surrounded by stands, it's flat, gets plenty of sunshine, so rain water will drain away better than most.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Obviously more drainage work needed on the pitch, apart from last night hardly any rain this
week, that snow should have drained through by now after thawing on Monday, my lawn drains better than that. No match on the pitch for a month either unless they have been training on it