Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Why would getting rid of Owers be construed as embarrassing ?
For feck sake football manager's come & go on a regular basis, they know the risk of the job, they hardly go in to it for long term job security, take Buckle for instance, he was our manager for 4 relatively successful seasons & then decided he'd taken us as far as he could & opted to 'better himself' by upping sticks to Bristol Rovers where he had a shocking time of it 29/05/11 - 03/01/12.... ( 7 months 5 days ) it didn't make him a bad manager Luton, Cheltenham, Sacremento Republic all sought his service after the debacle of Bristol Rovers.
Leroy Rosenior was dispensed with after less than 24 hrs in charge, we laughed ,the press took the piss a bit but we moved on , today's news ...tomorrow's chip paper as my Grandad used to say.
So get rid now Mr Sock Puppet, I'd have a little more respect for you Geoff if you grew a pair & did what was good for the club & not try & save face, I suspect a few many others would too.
We all make mistakes & you can only learn from then unless your ????? CO.......GH........GO......MK......DH....&co...
Goose9
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Goose9 »

Teigngull wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 22:19 Why would getting rid of Owers be construed as embarrassing ?
Because the decision to sack Nicholson and to decide on who to replace him was Harrop's first, visible at least, challenge and test as general manager. We waited 4 weeks and in that time he was spewing out press statements saying that these things take time, we need to get it right, we're looking for the perfect man for the job etc.

Having to sack Owers after 6 months would be a personal embarrassment for him, no doubt about it. If he can avoid it for as long as possible then I'm very sure that he will.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Last edited by Yorkieandy on 11 Mar 2018, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

I see Bath are 3 points outside the play offs with a game in hand. They’ve had a turn in fortune since someone left them :Oops:
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Goose9 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 22:26 Because the decision to sack Nicholson and to decide on who to replace him was Harrop's first, visible at least, challenge and test as general manager. We waited 4 weeks and in that time he was spewing out press statements saying that these things take time, we need to get it right, we're looking for the perfect man for the job etc.

Having to sack Owers after 6 months would be a personal embarrassment for him, no doubt about it. If he can avoid it for as long as possible then I'm very sure that he will.
Well if that's the case & I very much doubt it is as the Puppet master has yet to tug on the strings for the sock puppet to make a move.
He won't get another job in the capacity he has now, ever, unless he sticks with CO , but as for other football clubs, never, his CV is well & truly stained & not only with ketchup & crisp crumbs.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

greb46 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 20:14 Can't imagine any manager having managed for most of the season in any league being so inept and still remain in their post,[highlight=yellow]he may as well get a post managing an ice hockey team[/highlight] as he probably knows as much about that as managing a football club
nice sentiment.....completely wrong however.

I can assure you that ice hockey coaches are more professional than Owers.
please don't tar any of them with Owers brush.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Furious at his pathetic, negative, passive, surrendering comments on Devon live which oddly enough has the headline:

GARY OWERS REMAINS DEFIANT FOLLOWING TORQUAY UNITED'S LATE DEFEAT AGAINST MAIDSTONE UNITED

First of all he says:

"I'm sure everyone is writing us off......"

Err yeah. Need about 4 wins to get above the team 5th bottom who have 2 games in hand. Not sure if you've seen the league table Gazza lad but i recommend you have a look at it before tomorrow's defeat to Orient just to remind you just how much in the shit the club are. Many wrote us off as soon as you were appointed due to you having achieved absolutely nothing in the game and the rest of the fans followed suit when they saw just what 'footballers' you started bringing to the club.

"We haven't given up, the lads haven't given up......"

I'd suggest that 2 wins in the last 15 indicates otherwise.

"........we are going to see it right through to the bitter end."

Christ! It's alright for you lot. You're getting paid for it! How about the poor sods who have supported you and your shower of poo over the course of a season? What do they get back? You all going to club together and pay everyone's admission into Brisbane Road tomorrow as a gesture of thanks and to give something back? No, course you aren't.

At least Chris Hargreaves bought about 11 people a free pint.

I read that quote above and somehow feel it has a hidden meaning.

"I thought we were worth a point on the balance of play......"

Err, the club are a country mile behind Barrow and Hartlepool which you'd know if you looked at the league table. Somehow a point i don't think would make that much difference in the grand scheme of things. Would have been nice though not to lose to a side with no win in 17.

"Late goals in the last couple of games have cost us dearly....."

Not to mention the previous 11 games before that where the team conceded in the last 10 minutes in 5 of them. Perhaps there is a pattern here? Has it been spotted yet and sorted?

You do also know that it's perfectly acceptable for Torquay to actually SCORE A GOAL in the latter stages of games? The last 10 minutes aren't just for opponents to score in.

".....i'm not being critical or personal, but you have to score there."

Owers laments on the distinct lack of any footballing ability by Jon-Paul Pittman. DON'T PUT HIM IN THE BLOODY SIDE THEN!! PICK A KID!! STICK A LAMP-POST UP THERE!! ANYTHING BUT PLAY PLAYERS WHO WERE RELEASED BY NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH SIDES!!

"We also had Connor's (Lemonhead - Evans) header, which was the other outstanding chance of the second half...."

Two chances in 45 minutes against Maidstone United. NO WIN IN 17 BEFORE THE WEEKEND.

TWO CHANCES IN 45 MINUTES.

MAIDSTONE UNITED. NO WIN IN 17 GAMES BEFORE THE GAME.

"But we just don't take enough of those chances."

Whadda you mean THOSE?!! YOU ONLY HAD FRIGGING TWO!!

"I was disappointed with our attacking play........."

Not as pissed off as the fans who turned up to support whilst simultaneously contributing to yours and the players wages i bet.

Why use the word, 'disappointed'? Surely given the predicament the club are in you'd at least stretch to 'annoyed' or 'angry' or perhaps 'a bit vexed' or maybe 'slightly perturbed'? OUR ATTACKING PLAY WAS SHIT AND I WASN'T EVEN THERE!! Show some passion and fire for the cause fgs!!

"I thought Josh Gowling did very well in the second half......."

No he didn't. Again, i wasn't there and didn't need to be. When he came on it was 0-0. It ended in a 1-0 loss. He didn't do very well Gary. We lost to a side who had not won in 17. He didn't really do very well did he Gary?

"Jakub Sokolik was ill on Thursday........."

Oh great. So you started him then in a huge game. Must have been one of those 24 hour things............... :whistle:

He had to come off at half time. That's a surprise. It's just **** typical of Torquay that we do better with ill players on the pitch than not! It was 0-0 before Gowling came on! :lol: You couldn't make it up.

Classic Owers!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

If I'm not mistaken York's, you sound slightly irked ? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?
P.s.
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Yeah i am. In some ways Owers and I are like two peas in pod. We're both dour northerners and we both talk absolute shite.

However, that's where the love in must end.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Have to come on give praise to Owers and indeed the players last night. I think it's only fair given they get stick when they are shite and lose (which is most weeks sadly).

In isolation it was a well ground out victory and whilst the O's were well on top second half and an equalizer looked on the cards due to familiar tactics of sitting deeper and being negative, this time they held out and got the win which is what it's all about. There is another must win game at Solihull next and therefore the Orient result means nothing if Solihull win so you have to keep the praise you give in context.

Owers and the players are the only ones responsible for the club being where they are in the league BUT it's not all over yet and until it is then we have to say a huge well done for wins achieved if we are to slag off when defeats occur. Until it's clear that there is to be no escape.

It looks like everyone showed some character and determination for this win and that's what is required for the final games.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 10:55

Owers and the players are the only ones responsible for the club being where they are in the league BUT it's not all over yet and until it is then we have to say a huge well done for wins achieved if we are to slag off when defeats occur. Until it's clear that there is to be no escape.
I don't agree with this statement. Owers is not at the top of the food chain. Harrop has oversight of the running if the club, so at the very least can recommend Owers dismissal.
Ultimately it lies with Osborne to hire and fire; if Osborne was concerned with the clubs performance then he would act. As to the players, well someone other than Owers had to sign the money off on them.
Yes Owers has been disappointing but the are others with control and responsibility involved in this.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Owers to be manager next season then according to Osborne. Best of luck chaps.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

He's already planning for next season, to work with HIS squad, which, if talks are successful, could include Elliott Romain. What's not to like? Romain's a big plus and works well with Williams, who, no doubt is one of several players having contract talks for next season.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Owers will be under more pressure to get it right next year that's for sure - if we stay full time we really should expect to be somewhere around the top of the table.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

brucie wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 22:05 Owers will be under more pressure to get it right next year that's for sure - if we stay full time we really should expect to be somewhere around the top of the table.
You have got to ask would he have signed the crap that THE PREVIOUS MANAGER SIGNED