Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I did suggest not long back that if fans stopped going then that would cost CO more money out of his own pocket to keep the club operational. As a businessman he isn't going to like that very much. If fans did this then hopefully it may force a quick sale of the club whilst he looks to cut losses and get out. At least then the club is free of those shackles and then whatever will be will be.

If he wants to sit it out then no money coming into the club would mean he has to foot the bill. Everyone wants to support the team which is understandable but in the short term this could be a viable option surely? Maybe just go to away games? Get a greater away support out of protest. The players don't deserve the home support anymore and the club is as good as down so if 50 turned up every home game then it wouldn't make any difference to anything whatsoever. Nothing would get worse other than the bank balance of the owner.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 20 Jan 2018, 18:48, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I think I’d rather have the squirrel loving Alan **** “Juan” Knill come back and manage us than keep the current pair of useless tossers.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

On the basis of that last interview with GO on Radio Devon I have joined the ranks of those who thinks he is part of the problem. He doesn't have a clue and couldn't motivate anyone with such a listless, shambles of an excuse for that performance. God help us - we could yet win the award for the earliest relegation in national league football.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

This is the problem though, Owers isn't going anywhere. Osborne isnt going anywhere... This is TUFC for the foreseeable future and it isn't going to improve.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

On this thread only two words from me for Mr Owers. Go today. And Harrop, please go too.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

CraigUnder wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 18:50 This is the problem though, Owers isn't going anywhere. Osborne isnt going anywhere... This is TUFC for the foreseeable future and it isn't going to improve.
Exactly.

People need to realise it’s over. We are down. And the people in charge don’t care enough to do anything about it.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 09:39 I'm actually willing to give these two a chance. Not appointing Herrera as assistant manager is a big positive in my book and actually appointing a number 2 from outside the club is good.

To write them off even before they have got here is over the top. Maybe it isn't Sturrock, Ronnie Moore etc etc but plenty of teams are doing well at our level with less experienced people in charge who are likely to me more energetic than the old guard.

I would am actually pleased we have got a younger management team but after last nights defeat it had to be sorted and I for one am glad that its been resolved.

Both these two have had massive experience playing at a decent level. No choice other than to give these two a chance.
Worked out well huh?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Bit unfair to single out Brucies post, I think a lot of us said that and yes it was fair to give them a chance,
but they have failed miserably, I wish Herrera had been kept on now, he was getting some decent
performances in his last few games , draws with Wrexham and Chester , games we could easily have won
and team spirit , he could hardly have done worse and he brought in Efete, Dorel and Dowling, three of our best
loanees
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Southampton Gull wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 18:59 Worked out well huh?
Hindsight is marvelous isn't it
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

Get them gone. How could they possibly justify staying? What have they done to improve our position? Any Board /CEO looking at the situation objectively would say enough is enough. Ah, but forgot, there is a five year plan so I need not worry........
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

The recruitment has been terrible. Need experienced pros not kids scared for there lives in the sh1t we are neck deep in
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Wow, what a gutless performance that was! I so wanted for Owers/Kuhl to succeed but I have to admit that they seem to have lost their way as far as this team is concerned.

I guess you judge any Manager by how the team/squad improves under their management - well judging by recent performances and crucially based on the additions they have made - where is the progress since they took over. The answer, based on the last few weeks .... is that there hasn’t been any.

I’m sorry but the signings of Balatoni, O’Sullivan, Fletcher, Mitchell and (presumably) Barnes (will he even be given a chance here .... probably not) are desperate signings in my book and have added NOTHING to the squad - they are simply not what we needed and are a waste of the budget - such as it is! The one exception, from the signings this year, I would say is Elliot Romain - who at least added something and worked hard on his own up front. The rest .... can all leave tomorrow as far as I am concerned.

Personally speaking, I would rather see Gowling and Klukowski back in the team - they are better than what we have now. But maybe Owers doesn’t see them as part of his plans and those bridges may have been burnt already - who knows?

The reality is that when Owers first came in he was given the financial backing to bring players in (to a greater extent than Nicho ever was it should be said) and he brought in a whole raft of players .... Murphy, McQuoid, Evans, Barnum-Bobb, Davey and Andresson - we needed these guys to deliver and to a certain extent they did (we managed to win a few games FFS!) but the reality was that they came ... and they went, not one of them stayed.

Wind forward to January and we are now a far less attractive proposition and the “quality” of the signings he has brought in has regressed dramatically in my book - quite simply not good enough. In fact, you could make a strong case, for arguing that this line up ..... Dorel; Efete, Gowling, McGinty, Davis; Gosling, Klukowski, Lathrope, Reid; Young; Pittman - all players signed by Nicholson/Herrera ... would they do any worse than the side we put out today? Not a great side I admit, but I genuinely doubt that that team would have been humbled 4-0 like we were today! A sad indictment to the lack of progress under Owers/Kuhl - and that comes from someone who thought that Nicho wasn’t up to the job! It came too soon for him and he wasn’t ready - simple as that - but I suspect that if he had stayed in place, we might have picked up a few more points than we have now, not many mind, but a few .... simply because the players would have been more behind him than they appear to be behind Owers/Kuhl.

So, even the most optimistic amongst the fan base seem resigned to relegation to the NLS now and, being honest, I don’t think that this management team are the ones to get us back into the NL now. Quite honestly, given how unattractive the job is and the money we are likely to be able to offer - then someone like Steve Tully might not be a bad shout - at least he knows the level - and also knows enough about local/regional football to know what is required. He is also someone that would get the dressing room behind him - if not him, then Wayne Carlisle would be a great alternative. Another rookie I know, but realistically at NLS level we might just as well give someone like him a go! But, sorry to say, I don’t believe that Owers/Kuhl are the answer .... a great shame, but that is how I see it now.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I’m truly staggered that it has got to this stage, as the games I saw early in GO’s tenure were pointing in the right direction. After Ebbsfleet, I couldn’t see a way we could possibly get relegated playing like that. Quite how a management team can lose their way so spectacularly I don’t know.

Can’t see GO leaving though, unless Osborne suddenly grows some balls and a backbone. The fawning over Nico is pure lunacy though - he laid the foundations for this sh*tshow with his abysmal summer recruitment
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I thought that the mini renaissance period in which both Sutton and Orient were beaten and i think there was a draw with Aldershot in there too, i thought that the turning point was reached and gradually points would be picked up on the way to easing away from trouble. It was a false dawn though as results since have been worse than ever. The team didn't kick on from that as i expected and are now bottom.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Great post CP Gull, as usual