Steve Breed Question & Answer Thread

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Steve Breed Question & Answer Thread

Post by Southampton Gull »

As the title suggests, post your questions for our ex-CEO.

There may be some questions he just can't answer so please let's consider his position and respect whatever his wishes are.

Ask away.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

It is obvious that Steve was always opposed to accepting the initial GI loan, but what realistic alternatives did the Dave Phillips board have at the time of its acceptance? Furthermore, was it not inevitable that once GI investment had been accepted that the club would default on the loan and the club would end up in GI’s hands. Essentially, could the GI takeover have been avoided?
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

I don't understand why you feel you're not welcome at Plainmoor. I could understand why you feel the present state of the team isn't worth coming to watch ! Hopefully that will change, but will you change your mind ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

First of all, thank you for giving us this opportunity Steve. Few questions although I fully understand if you can't answer them at all or only provide certain information, don't say anything that would compromise yourself:

The Phillips Regime (probably likely not to be answered)

1. What was the reasoning behind the 1800 break even figure being so wrong in the first season under the Phillips board? We were told that it was a break even figure, yet despite the fans achieving that, the club staggered from crisis to crisis before the GI loan. Just how dangerously indebted (or how many liabilities remained) was the supposed 'debt free club' you inherited? Did Paul Cox really leave because of a dodgy car and not being paid a wage - if so why on earth did we have a DOF on £30k a year?

2. Why did the club go to GI for a loan rather than working with the fans? Was Norman Smurthwaithe's interest real? Was any due diligence done at all on Clarke Osborne and his company? The fans on the three forums had worked out a potted history of the company within days of the news of their involvement breaking. His involvement at Bristol Rovers and Hereford is quite damning before you look at his actions in other sports.

3. What was behind the blocking of communication between a board that swept in claiming to be 'the most fan friendly ever' and the fans, was it the influence of Peter Masters? Communication during the 2nd half of the Phillips regime was worse than under Bateson or Roberts - not due to you but because of the utter secrecy that the board operated under.

4. Following on from 3, what was behind Dave Phillips boldly stating that the club would not be sold to GI just weeks before the club was sold...to GI. Were there any other viable bidders? Furthermore why did the club deliberately string along the TUST, deny them the opportunity to try and fund a purchase of the club and treat them shoddily? Was this Peter Masters too? Amongst all the shenanigans of the past 5 years the stringing along of the TUST, eliminating any time for them to put together a proposal was perhaps the worst action perpetrated upon the fans.

5. The Truro City groundshare option. What was behind this baffling development? A front for Masters to get his foot in the door at the club via an injection of capital for a service never intended to be needed? Did the 'American' stadium developers ever actually exist?

The Future (Where you're likely to be able to answer)

1. What is your view on GI? Are we all being irresponible doom mongers or are our fears substantiated?

2. If you do think the club is in trouble, having worked behind the scenes and know more about the politics of the club and football than most of us, what would you advise to be the best way we can help in fighting to save the club?

3. What are your views on the Herald Express' utter silence over the entire matter and reluctance to even print basic information about GI/Clarke Osborne's background and involvement in sports?

4. Do you think the club is viable in it's present state and could it survive running full time in the National League South?

5. Do you still believe that the TUST option is a flawed model and if so does the club have a future? We have clearly tapped out any wealthy individuals in the region that want/have the ability to invest into the club. Exeter City seem to be proving that a supporters trust owned team can do well...well with a few lucky cup draws.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

An excellent post, and probably covers most of the questions many would ask.

My only question for now, was Geoff harrop involved in the early stages of the GI loan?
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Why wasn't paul Cox on a paid contract from day one, and whose decision was it if not to offer a contract
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Was Hargreaves really on an annual salary of over 150k as reported?
Lucy
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Hi Steve - good to see you back on here!

I won't ask you to confirm whether or not Kevin Nicholson was your first choice or not - but would be interested to know who you would have liked to have replaced Chris Hargreaves? I know at the time your initial thoughts were to go for someone experienced at this level - before Nicho even applied. At the time I hoped we might go for Neil Aspin - just sacked by Halifax - who was someone I would have liked to see us go for. He has since gone on to bigger and better things of course (Gateshead and now Port Vale). Just wondered if he was ever a realistic target? Or was he out of our price bracket? Ultimately I guess it wasn’t your decision who was appointed at the end of the day?

Chris
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Clarks ??? Dewsbury market if I'm lucky
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Steve

I wonder if you can tell us anything about the reasoning for the board to put their shares in the club up as collateral to borrow £150,000 from GI. I understand the reasoning for borrowing but why from GI particularly on those terms for such a paltry sum?

It must have been recognised that GI were a wrecking ball with a history of razing stadiums on the promise of building replacements that never materialise. Did the Board not discuss that should the freehold be sold to GI, it loses the protection of the council with the plausibility that the club could well go into administration i.e. Houses on Plainmoor, but no home for the club.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Sorry guys. To keep things simple I've cleaned the thread up as it was getting a little off topic and I feel it's important to give Steve the chance to answer some relevant questions.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Was there / what was the alternative choice to lending the northern GI.
If the club had not have borrowed , what would those consequences have been ? and even from those consequences what could have been outcome ?
Could the club have survived administration for example or would it have been just shut ?
stephen breed
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin
Favourite player: fowler

Post by stephen breed »

Unread post by Caldwellanddobson » Yesterday, 19:25

It is obvious that Steve was always opposed to accepting the initial GI loan, but what realistic alternatives did the Dave Phillips board have at the time of its acceptance? Furthermore, was it not inevitable that once GI investment had been accepted that the club would default on the loan and the club would end up in GI’s hands. Essentially, could the GI takeover have been avoided?

Hi Caldwell and Dobson

Firstly and this is something that's very important I had no knowledge of any g I loan when I was acting as ceo of the football club. In the last 2 months in the job I was ostracised from any decision making board meetings season ticket reviews the lot. I only in fact learned of the GI loan 3 months after I left the club. Despite the fact of still holding the title of C E O the position became untenable during those last two months. You can draw your own conclusion as to why this happened if I had have been made aware I would have done everything in my power to have avoided the loan or the loan on those terms. I think once the loan was agreed on those terms I think it was pretty much a formality that the ownership of the club would transfer over to g I as no proper plan was put into place to avoid this conclusion i.e. hope and pray situation . Stephen
stephen breed
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin

Post by stephen breed »

Post by taxilady » Yesterday, 19:36

I don't understand why you feel you're not welcome at Plainmoor. I could understand why you feel the present state of the team isn't worth coming to watch ! Hopefully that will change, but will you change your mind ?

Hi taxilady or Nina

When I left the club I was outraged by the treatment from people who I thought where friends you live and learn. My reaction was to step back completely and forget the club ever existed . As you know I took a local football job and just got on with life . I did actually come to 2 games last season tranmere at home where I left early and Braintree at home where the reaction to me being there from people put tears in my eyes. However it simply was not the same for me. There a certain 2 or 3 people who would have cringed at the site of my presence at them games and I really have no desire to make anybody uncomfortable. People have reaped what they sow and have to live by the decisions they made. As for me I really don't know Nina I am an all of nothing type of guy either do all the games or do no games... stephen
stephen breed
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin

Post by stephen breed »

by lucy6lucy » Yesterday, 20:38

An excellent post, and probably covers most of the questions many would ask.

My only question for now, was Geoff harrop involved in the early stages of the GI loan?

Hi Lucy

I have already stated I had no prior Knowledge of the G I loan so I cant say whether Geoff was involved at that stage or not.