Boycott

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Don't see any problem with registering, starting a new thread and boycotting.

Some posters on here treat this place like a closed shop. Do your maths, about 20 regular posters on here and about 1500 Torquay fans who don't bother to either register on a forum or contribute, wonder why?

I'm an exilled Gull, and to be honest it costs much more for exilled fans than it does local so boycotting or just not going is easier. If a club has no ambition, and I mean that in the football sense as GI do have ambition but it's other reasons there is actually little point in going. Buckland are a community club with ambition, sort of makes sense logically. The problem is emotional and historical connections we have with our football club. If you can break them it probably would be mentally, financially and logically more beneficial to boycott.

I await the normal crituscm from the forum police
TUST MEMBER
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

There's nothing wrong with starting to support a club (or go to watch as might be the case) for whatever reason and I never took Teigngull to task over going to Buckland Athletic. I took him to task over his naming of the thread and the implication therein. You will find nothing in the post I made which went into even remotely criticising his decision nor reason for choosing Homers Heath over Plainmoor.

There is an attraction in being in and around an upwardly and socially inclusive club like Buckland Athletic ~ my day in their company at Bromsgrove last season remains a highlight of many seasons ~ and I enjoy similar times at my local club Haringey Borough who offer something similar that other non league options offer on a Saturday do not if the lure of Torquay United playing nearby is not there.

It was his dudgeon at being described as a Prima Donna for justifying his reason ~ describing it as a 'boycott' ~ for not bothering with Plainmoor on Saturday; not so much a 'boycott' in my eyes more the drawing of attention towards such a concept and sowing the seed of copycat behaviour.

As I said when I replied to your opening post Teigngull; stop being a Prima Donna and trying to kid yourself the club will miss you...it won't!
Last edited by merse btpir on 14 Nov 2017, 08:31, edited 9 times in total.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Neal wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 07:09
I await the normal critiscm from the forum police
Great post Neal ;-)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Don't worry, gents, there's an even stricter forum police presence on the Whitby Town Fans' Forum.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Prima donna - ' a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance'
Teingull didn't give me that impression when I read his original post but I can't say that about some of the posters on here.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Thanks guys for some of your support , made me realise I can post a topic, like I said in my last reply MAYBE I GOT THE TITLE WRONG , I NEVER ONCE MENTIONED IN ANYWAY I WAS DRUMMING UP SUPPORT FOR A BOYCOTT I WAS JUST PUTTING IT OUT THERE THAT AFTER SUPPORTING TUFC SINCE 1980 THROUGH THICK & THIN, I ENJOYED MY TIME AT BY BUCKLAND & WOULD BE ATTENDING REGULARLY FROM NOW ON.
WHERE DO YOU GET THE NOTION THAT I THINK THE CLUB WILL MISS ME AS AN INDIVIDUAL ?
I AM REFUSING TO HAND OVER MY MONEY TO SOME ORGANISATION THAT IS MAKING ME MISERABLE ON A REGULAR BASIS UNTIL I SEE FIT IT IS RIGHT TO DO SO IN MY OPINION .
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Teigngull wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 13:35 Thanks guys for some of your support , made me realise I can post a topic, like I said in my last reply MAYBE I GOT THE TITLE WRONG , I NEVER ONCE MENTIONED IN ANYWAY I WAS DRUMMING UP SUPPORT FOR A BOYCOTT I WAS JUST PUTTING IT OUT THERE THAT AFTER SUPPORTING TUFC SINCE 1980 THROUGH THICK & THIN, I ENJOYED MY TIME AT BY BUCKLAND & WOULD BE ATTENDING REGULARLY FROM NOW ON.
WHERE DO YOU GET THE NOTION THAT I THINK THE CLUB WILL MISS ME AS AN INDIVIDUAL ?
I AM REFUSING TO HAND OVER MY MONEY TO SOME ORGANISATION THAT IS MAKING ME MISERABLE ON A REGULAR BASIS UNTIL I SEE FIT IT IS RIGHT TO DO SO IN MY OPINION .
Thanks for the clarification. I have no problem with you voicing your opinion - my issue is the excessive use of the old caps lock Teignbucks!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Teigngull admits to probably using an over emotive title for his thread and yes - I agree. Even so, he did not deserve the vitriol from the usual suspect. I actually empathise with Teigngull. I used to look forward to Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings but no longer. I have got very little enjoyment out of going to Plainmoor during the past four or five seasons. I am still going, but often ask myself - Why? Several of my mates gave up ages ago and can't understand why I still put myself through it, knowing full well that I will come out of Plainmoor at about 5pm feeling disgruntled and ready to kick the cat or the wife, whoever gets in the way first. It's like visiting an elderly aunt in Hospital who is on her last legs. You don't really want to go, but you feel you must as a duty. I live nearer Plainmoor than Teigngull. Maybe I would also defect to Buckland Athletic if I lived in Teignmouth - I don't know.

The club has become a laughing stock and a butt of jokes. I'll give you two examples from last week alone. I went to a large funeral and a friend of the deceased said in his tribute - "XXXX was well-liked and well-respected in the community and he was sensible and level headed. And yet he was a Torquay United season ticket holder". Cue - roars of laughter in the church. My local shopkeeper is a bit of a wag and said to me on Sunday "Your team hasn't changed since the manager three or four back, has it" "In what way?" "Well, every week it's still Torquay Knill".
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

tomogull wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 15:12 Teigngull admits to probably using an over emotive title for his thread and yes - I agree. Even so, he did not deserve the vitriol from the usual suspect. I actually empathise with Teigngull. I used to look forward to Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings but no longer. I have got very little enjoyment out of going to Plainmoor during the past four or five seasons. I am still going, but often ask myself - Why? Several of my mates gave up ages ago and can't understand why I still put myself through it, knowing full well that I will come out of Plainmoor at about 5pm feeling disgruntled and ready to kick the cat or the wife, whoever gets in the way first. It's like visiting an elderly aunt in Hospital who is on her last legs. You don't really want to go, but you feel you must as a duty. I live nearer Plainmoor than Teigngull. Maybe I would also defect to Buckland Athletic if I lived in Teignmouth - I don't know.

The club has become a laughing stock and a butt of jokes. I'll give you two examples from last week alone. I went to a large funeral and a friend of the deceased said in his tribute - "XXXX was well-liked and well-respected in the community and he was sensible and level headed. And yet he was a Torquay United season ticket holder". Cue - roars of laughter in the church. My local shopkeeper is a bit of a wag and said to me on Sunday "Your team hasn't changed since the manager three or four back, has it" "In what way?" "Well, every week it's still Torquay Knill".
Ah ... the old ones are the best: like Torquay Utd footballers from the past.