Paul Bastock to set a record

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Paul Bastock to set a record

Post by gateman49 »

According to the BBC he is set to break Peter Shilton's playing record, well done Paul, that's quite an achievement.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41915670

The article states that he had to give up full time football after a knee injury but not mentioned is another injury he sustained at Plainmoor. That could have ended his life let alone his career. For those who weren't there, he made a diving save to his left at the Family Stand end while playing for Boston against us some years ago. He completed the save but, in doing so, he slid full pelt into the base of the post with a sickening thud and didn't move for some time.

When he finally got to his feet he literally had an egg shaped bump on the side of his head which was fully visible as he didn't have any hair then either. I think that the game predated the use of goalkeeper substitutes as he then soldiered on for the rest of the match coming up with a number of further saves. He even positively responded to the wit and banter that any visiting goalkeeper receives and was applauded off the ground at the end of the match.

I was in the Family Stand that day and, saw it all at close quarters.

Well done again, Paul, you won my admiration that day.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I remember that incident and have always thought of it whenever I have seen a mention of his name.

OUCH !!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Have to admit I first thought you had spelt Paul Bastard wrong.
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

gateman49 wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 17:45 According to the BBC he is set to break Peter Shilton's playing record, well done Paul, that's quite an achievement.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41915670

The article states that he had to give up full time football after a knee injury but not mentioned is another injury he sustained at Plainmoor. That could have ended his life let alone his career. For those who weren't there, he made a diving save to his left at the Family Stand end while playing for Boston against us some years ago. He completed the save but, in doing so, he slid full pelt into the base of the post with a sickening thud and didn't move for some time.

When he finally got to his feet he literally had an egg shaped bump on the side of his head which was fully visible as he didn't have any hair then either. I think that the game predated the use of goalkeeper substitutes as he then soldiered on for the rest of the match coming up with a number of further saves. He even positively responded to the wit and banter that any visiting goalkeeper receives and was applauded off the ground at the end of the match.

I was in the Family Stand that day and, saw it all at close quarters.

Well done again, Paul, you won my admiration that day.
I was there too that afternoon in the Family Stand and yes there was a sickening noise as his head and post collided. But he not only carried on but also engaged in some friendly banter after. Great bloke!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

I remember Bastock colliding with the post and finally emerging with an egg on his head. But I'm sure it was from a sublime Alex Russell free kick that was scored just inside the post or was the scored one after, or was that a different season. Just checked the stats and Russell scored in a 1-1 home draw 29th March 2003. Was it that game?
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

chunkygull wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 21:52 I remember Bastock colliding with the post and finally emerging with an egg on his head. But I'm sure it was from a sublime Alex Russell free kick that was scored just inside the post or was the scored one after, or was that a different season. Just checked the stats and Russell scored in a 1-1 home draw 29th March 2003. Was it that game?
Yep that's my memory of the event as well.

Free kick out on the right of the box and everyone (including the keeper) expected the kick to go the usual way, over the top or around the left of the wall towards the far post. Instead he slipped it around the right of the wall and it just scraped in off the post.