Torquay v Hartlepool 28/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 11:24 No it wasn't it was a different Ken Brown.

I know the son of the one you are referring to (he was my son's Academy Manager at Dagenham) and he told me his father is now living in an old people's home in Norwich suffering from dementia at the age of 83.
Arrgh ..... a ringer !! Everyone where I was standing on the Pop side, thought it was THE Ken Brown and inevitably we started reminiscing on the 'good old days'. He had a good ovation ! I had assumed he was down for the weekend visiitng Frank O'Farrell. I'm very sorry to hear that he's suffering from dementia - such a cruel illness. I'm sure you will agree that he was one of several stand-out players in a stand-out team, and a nice guy with it as well. So who was this other Ken Brown, then? I don't remember another one ever playing for us. At least, he didn't leave an impression !! :-/
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I was wondering that Tomo, cant think of another Ken Brown, he was announced as a Torquay legend, but then
so was Lee Barrow the previous week ! I was at the other end of the popside so didnt get a close look, perhaps
it was Willie Brown, would be nice to know who he was!
I assume Owers and Kuhl were at Cheltenham watching Maidstone put 4 past the league two side, I cant see
them not scoring at least one against us and I am not confident of us scoring a minumum of two, lets hope
the team surprise us
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I see that the hat-trick guy Sam-Yorke also got sent off, perhaps some good news for us, take it he will
miss next weeks game
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Ok he only got 2 !
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 18:27 I was at the other end of the popside so didnt get a close look, perhaps it was Willie Brown, would be nice to know who he was!I
You only have to ask........

The guy on the right
is the you saw

This Ken Brown is such a legend he only played nine times for the club and to be brutal this just goes to show that there are too many people around Torquay United who just don't know what they are doing.

This Ken Brown lives in Coventry and although he was a pro', never made it to the Coventry City first team but played in their reserve outfit in the mid nineteen fifties.   He left Coventry City for Corby Town in 1956 and after spells with Rugby Town (on loan) and Nottingham Forest reserves he moved to the south coast making six League appearances for Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic scoring one goal in 1957-58 and turned out a further nine times (one goal) with Torquay United the following season before returning to the Midlands with Hinckley United in 1958........Plainmoor legend my arse.

If you want to know something authentic at least ask those with a modicum of knowledge about the club!

....& the one you didn't
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

tomogull wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 11:26 On the plus side, Owers has brought in some useful players - Dowling, Dorrell, Evans & Efete.
Dowling, Dorel and Efete were all brought in before Owers took over, when Herrera was in charge.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Jerry wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 19:58 Dowling, Dorel and Efete were all brought in before Owers took over, when Herrera was in charge.
Oh dear - I'm losing touch with the time-scale of all the changes. So ...... of those four, only Callum Evans was brought in by Owers. And he didn't exactly cover himself with glory against Hartlepool ......
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Thanks for that , I expect he enjoyed the decent round of applause he got - I have been on the Plainmoor pitch
more times than him, maybe I will get asked next match
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I believed this 14 days off could be a turning point in our season. Thinking we would see players leave / loaned out, while hoping for new faces to drive things forward. Further, these faces would show the direction the club is looking to take things. Clearly I was wrong, this is now becoming a concern, are new players expected?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Last Thursday's HE podcast seemed to think so. It's only Monday after all! Four more days left.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It does not matter who signed who, it's who can get the side to play better and win, hopefully we are going in the right direction now.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

desperado wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 08:01 I have been on the Plainmoor pitch more times than him, maybe I will get asked next match
Blimey, Desperado ....... that must make you a TUFC leg end. :bow:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 22:19 It does not matter who signed who, it's who can get the side to play better and win, hopefully we are going in the right direction now.
True, Arcadia - but it is rather ironic that players brought in when Robbie Herrara was in temporary charge are 'doing the business' rather than the four brought in by Gary Owers - Rhys Murphy, Josh McQuoid, Callum Evans and Myrie-Williams (although I thought he had his best game so far deputising for Davis).