Memories of plainmoor

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Memories of plainmoor

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Thank you Louis
Well a new section on here and as I've come on here and there is zip all on it yet i may aswell get ball rolling. I'm sat in a little pub in Cleckheaton West Yorkshire racking my head what can we start with. Hoping this history bit does spark some interest.
Start with plainmoor and any memories people have of there first encounters with the beloved football ground. What part of the ground did you first attend ? What memories do you have and did you change to a different part ? and for what reason ?
Mine was as I know now was around 1985. I remember the blue Chelsea kit and I remember Stuart Morgan was in charge. I also remember the players came out the old grandstand where the school was. Now where did they changed then, was it indeed in the back of a old lorry ? The yellow rotolok years it was side of the mini stand from the portacabins Behind it.
The mini stand back then was wooden benches with no terracing, any memories of the terracing. When did it go? I don't remember a sponsor for the mini stand back then but do remember around 1989 it was the tolchards family stand. As a kid I was wanted to go to the old popside but my dad said the language was too bad ect. It was a few years before I even went into the old main stand near the school which always seemed like it was the OAP area in all respect. Remember umbrellas side of the popside where I assume it was full enough for people to have to stand there. Is this why? Have you been in the away end ? And if so why?
Let's hope more history is to be made at plainmoor and without going off topic this is why I want to stay , it's home with many many memories and fit for purpose it's a wonderful stadium
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

My first match was 25 March 2000 - a Devon derby v the Gargs at Plainmoor.

We lost 4-0 and I was distraught!! Stood in the popside (obviously!!) and sung myself hoarse, as is the norm when I attend football matches.

Things I remember about that day: we had an early injury to one of our forwards (name escapes me) and we lost the match after that incident, with the substitution making us lose our shape and then Plymouth scored fairly quickly after that, and then hammered home three more before shutting up shop for the rest of the game.

I stayed in a b&b and was taken to the game by Richard Hughes, after being picked up at Exeter airport by Alan (acetufc) - both used to post on Mervos site - Richard, as we know, works for the Herald now, and I have lost touch with Alan (as well as Richard.)

EDIT: injured player was Tony Bedeau.

Team for the day:
S. Jones, Paul Holmes, Wayne Thomas, Alex Watson, Lee Russell, Robbie Herrera, Chris Brandon, Brian Healy (c), Kevin Hill, Eiffon Williams, Tony Bedeau (replaced by M. Griffiths)
Unused subs Mick O’Brien, Steve Tully, Tom Stocco and Ryan Northmore.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

If I remember correctly the mini stand was just concrete steps with crush barriers. I believe the benching was added after the loss of seating in the old grandstand after the 1985 fire.
Also from about 1980 the mini stand had a fence erected in front of it. This was an absurd decision because the catalyst for it was a pitch invasion by Cardiff yobs from the away end.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

My first visit to Plainmoor was on 01/04/2002 against Rochdale. We won that match 3-0 and I remember I didn't see the last goal since I was busy texting my friends in Norway on updating them on the score :) Back then I sat in the old grandstand, but during the years I have got to know a lot of local supporters and moved over to the Popside to stand with them.

During my first visit I also attended the Nettist Cup and got to play on the pitch. Even getting a goal on an assist by Roy McFarland. Did miss my penalty in the penalty shootout in the final. My team did end up winners that day so I didn't do much harm.

It would be a shame if the club moves from Plainmoor, but one day it might be nessesary. Hopefully I'll get to experience a lot more memories at Plainmoor before that does happen.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Plainmoor78 wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 08:33 If I remember correctly the mini stand was just concrete steps with crush barriers. I believe the benching was added after the loss of seating in the old grandstand after the 1985 fire.
Also from about 1980 the mini stand had a fence erected in front of it. This was an absurd decision because the catalyst for it was a pitch invasion by Cardiff yobs from the away end.
Ok interesting. I don't really remember the fire as I'm sure I started going the season that followed it. I remember the mini stand as what I call the family stand as it is still now. Before the benches were added what kind of supporter went in there ? Did kids go into the main grandstand ? Also the bit on either side of the mini stand where people stood when did that go ? When was the mini stand built ?

Any of you guys know and or remember any of this information ?

Amazing people remember there first game. I must admit I don't remember it as was young but do remember the kit very well which is why I know what season. Remember mark loram very well as he played for my dad's mate at brixham villa and my dad always said that he was far too good playing for torquay united. Magician of a footballer and it's a shame the younger fans will not have seen him
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 14:26 Ok interesting. I don't really remember the fire as I'm sure I started going the season that followed it. I remember the mini stand as what I call the family stand as it is still now. Before the benches were added what kind of supporter went in there ? Did kids go into the main grandstand ? Also the bit on either side of the mini stand where people stood when did that go ? When was the mini stand built ?

Any of you guys know and or remember any of this information ?

Amazing people remember there first game. I must admit I don't remember it as was young but do remember the kit very well which is why I know what season. Remember mark loram very well as he played for my dad's mate at brixham villa and my dad always said that he was far too good playing for torquay united. Magician of a footballer and it's a shame the younger fans will not have seen him
the mini-stand was concrete with crash/safety barriers in the 1970's. I started standing on it around 1976/7, it was a fab view!
my first home game was Easter Monday 1975 when Torquay beat Chester 3-0, and I was stood on what is now the popside.
Happy Days....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Surperb SNW. Bit before my time but would loved to have gone in the mini stand when it was terracing. Remember after the Crewe game in 1987 the players and Stuart Morgan came back out and celebrated with the fans. Can anyone tell me the last season it was used. I'm guessing around 1993.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

First match was in 2002 against Rochdale, drew 2-2. Sat in the family stand. The next year, my parents and I purchased season tickets for the old Grandstand, the blue seats. I remember the cushions that were given out from a cardboard box in the winter time because the seats were cold, those were the days! Move to the Popside in 2006. So many memories.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 14:26

Before the benches were added what kind of supporter went in there ? Did kids go into the main grandstand ? Also the bit on either side of the mini stand where people stood when did that go ? When was the mini stand built ?
The mini stand regulars for the most part were teenagers and younger kids. Sometimes it got pretty boisterous in there. I can remember the left side/ right side rucks where the crowd would divide into two and then start chanting "left side/ right side" at each other, then rush together with much kicking of shins and stamping on feet.
Unfortunately you got the worst elements of our support in the mini stand. I can well remember the racist abuse aimed at black players including abuse aimed at Les Lawrence when he went through a patch of poor form.
I think I remember reading in a programme from 1974 that the mini stand was in part intended to provide a safe area for young fans to be in, but because of its location as a covered stand at one end of the pitch, it became a target for visiting hooligans.
Somebody may have to correct me on the following bit. I think the ministand was built in 1967 in the middle of the cow shed. In 1971 the remaining parts of the cowshed, either side of the ministand, were demolished, but this was before my time.

I have to say that I was disappointed when the ministand first became seated, then replaced by the all seater family stand because I think it affected the atmosphere at the ground. The best place to actually watch a game is from around the half way line, but most clubs have their most vocal support behind one goal which must be intimidating to the visiting defenders.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Wow that is amazing. The old cowshed I assume went across from either side and the mini stand erected in the middle. But why did the mini stand get built with still the bit of cow shed either side. When did the cow shed get built? How did the mini stand incorapate within that ?
Does anyone know who built the mini stand and how much it cost?

Sorry if it seems lazy , I've done massive amount of research at torquay library on occasions within the bay. Getting people first hand knowledge and account is surperb. Over time I've stuff to post I'm very limited with my time with work and wife !!!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 18:34 Wow that is amazing. The old cowshed I assume went across from either side and the mini stand erected in the middle. But why did the mini stand get built with still the bit of cow shed either side. When did the cow shed get built? How did the mini stand incorapate within that ?
Does anyone know who built the mini stand and how much it cost?

Sorry if it seems lazy , I've done massive amount of research at torquay library on occasions within the bay. Getting people first hand knowledge and account is surperb. Over time I've stuff to post I'm very limited with my time with work and wife !!!
From the excellent TFF history section:

"The first cover at the Ellacombe End came in the form of the so-called “cowshed” – a simple timber and corrugated iron structure built in 1928. The section nearest to the Popular Side collapsed under weight of snow at Christmas 1962. In 1967, the middle section was replaced by a new “mini-stand” which was later extended. In January 1971, the remainder of the cowshed was badly damaged by storms and demolished as it was now unsafe. In 1992, the mini-stand was demolished and replaced by the current family stand which incorporated a pub, restaurant and executive boxes."

http://torquayfans.boards.net/thread/11 ... -plainmoor
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 21:44 Surperb SNW. Bit before my time but would loved to have gone in the mini stand when it was terracing. Remember after the Crewe game in 1987 the players and Stuart Morgan came back out and celebrated with the fans. Can anyone tell me the last season it was used. I'm guessing around 1993
That Crewe match was my first and what a great memory it is. I remember when some of the celebrations died down there was quite a few of us went behind the mini stand and some of the players came out of the old portakabin dressing rooms supping cans of lager. No prizes for guessing 1 or 2 of them. :)

The new stand was open for the start of the 92-93 season. First time I sat in it was a league cup game vs Swindon. Glenn Hoddle was player manager and came on as sub.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 20:15 My first match was 25 March 2000 - a Devon derby v the Gargs at Plainmoor.

We lost 4-0 and I was distraught!! Stood in the popside (obviously!!) and sung myself hoarse, as is the norm when I attend football matches.

Things I remember about that day: we had an early injury to one of our forwards (name escapes me) and we lost the match after that incident, with the substitution making us lose our shape and then Plymouth scored fairly quickly after that, and then hammered home three more before shutting up shop for the rest of the game.

I stayed in a b&b and was taken to the game by Richard Hughes, after being picked up at Exeter airport by Alan (acetufc) - both used to post on Mervos site - Richard, as we know, works for the Herald now, and I have lost touch with Alan (as well as Richard.)

EDIT: injured player was Tony Bedeau.

Team for the day:
S. Jones, Paul Holmes, Wayne Thomas, Alex Watson, Lee Russell, Robbie Herrera, Chris Brandon, Brian Healy (c), Kevin Hill, Eiffon Williams, Tony Bedeau (replaced by M. Griffiths)
Unused subs Mick O’Brien, Steve Tully, Tom Stocco and Ryan Northmore.
Christ, I remember that game. Their forward McGregor I think it was, absolutely destroyed us. Did he get a hat trick?
Didnt Bedeau get badly fouled by a player who should have been sent off or did Bedeau get sent off. I remember something about it.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Fantastic stuff. Jerry , that history is a surperb section on that forum and some of the exhibets are breath taken. I will make time in nest few week to upload some material that I have. Thanks for sharing that post. Our modern ground is fit for a long time, but many memory were made within these old grandstands. The mini stand was my first memory and holds so much history. I was one of those kids that banged away on the advertising boarding at front ! Anyone remember that.
Chunky that Crewe game brings a lot back , red hot day ....dust everywhere. Tense but thrilling 2nd half. Could have scored 6 we were awesome in 2nd half. Players ended up hero's. Boys turned into men that day
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

When I began going in the 70s the ground was unsegregated and you could go in the popular side, ellacombe end and babbacombe end from any of the turnstiles. However I seem to remember that in front of the grandstand was a kind of paddock which had a turnstile by the entrance to it and you had to cough up an extra 10 pence to enter.
Does anyone know why this was?, what was the extra attraction of watching the match from that spot?