Gary Owers - The Truth!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 05:39 most the pictures posted never seem to work after a month , something about the host needs to upgrade something ? Rather annoying , so i don't use it now.
Forums the world over ~ including TFF & BTPIR ~ have been disfigured because the picture host they used (photobucket) decided to blackmail their clients into an attempt to extort not inconsiderable sums of money from them to remain in what had until then been a free to use service.

Like just about everyone else; I declined to give in to that but had the excruciating experience of seeing years of painstaking work destroyed ~ it's not the fault of TFF who quite rightly have metaphorically (in line with most of their other clients) told photobucket where to go and what to do with themselves!

To a point, I have individually restored a very small percentage of removed images on BTPIR; but it's a quite frankly obsessive choice and not one that I pursue with any regularity.

We now use flickr, and a far superior service it is too!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Ok merse did not realise that situation. I wasn't having a dig but there was loads off stuff on there which ivrealky enjoyed looking at ...so that's a bit shame.
Flickr is excellent I use it for sorts...old buses and stuff like is amazing
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 10:24 The coastline Sherpa van final shirt was the only replica shirt I ever bought, thought it was very good quality and I wore it for years until the thing wouldn't fit anymore.
I seem to remember buying it in a pop up shop on the corner of union st and market st in the week before the final.
I have this one - its the earliest ive got, in great condition and its also the best quality one too...... it has a lovely smooth feel inside almost like a lining. I wear it for when I come down for the home games.
ive got some other mod-dec sponsored ones including the fab purple away!! :)
oh and chunkgulls "fave" yellow and white stripes..... :rofl:
ive got 22 in total!

wow, we are way off topic..... =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

chunkygull wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 11:35 I remember the Rotolok, Henson/Coastline kit.
Sorry to sound so particular but I do remember roughly halfway through the 85/86 season , rotolok appeared on the shirt. The blue rotolok shirt was used in some of the pre season friendly the following year as remember seeing a certain paul Dobson making a debut.
What a great free signing he was, do believe when he went to Doncaster involved a deal with Sean Joyce coming to plainmoor.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 11:11 I have this one - its the earliest ive got, in great condition and its also the best quality one too...... it has a lovely smooth feel inside almost like a lining. I wear it for when I come down for the home games.
ive got some other mod-dec sponsored ones including the fab purple away!! :)
oh and chunkgulls "fave" yellow and white stripes..... :rofl:
ive got 22 in total!

wow, we are way off topic..... =D
I remember buying the purple away top for Wembley. Me and a mate walked from Goodrington in Paignton, all the way to Plainmoor and back just to get our shirts. We both wanted the home colours for the match but there was only one left in our size. Mr Bateson was there and when we asked about anymore in that size he grissled that we should have got them sooner. As you well know I didnt really like the yellow and white stripes so I got the purple one. I loved that top, I wore it everywhere and I still have it. So relieved I didnt get that other thing. ;-)
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Cheer Louis...well I love the one on the TFF but it's so quiet on there. I love history of torquay united amongst other things so can't wait for it
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 15:21 Cheer Louis...well I love the one on the TFF but it's so quiet on there. I love history of torquay united amongst other things so can't wait for it
It hasn't been an active forum for yonks, I'm surprised people still post there from time to time. It's basically being kept up as a historical resource, which I'm all in support of, there's dozens of fantastic threads on there about the club's history and it was probably the best TQU forum from around 2008-11 and has loads of great match threads from era, which I love to read every now and then when I'm sick of getting smashed 3-0 by NLS teams while starry eyed people bang on about how great King Kev was.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

merse btpir wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 07:13 Forums the world over ~ including TFF & BTPIR ~ have been disfigured because the picture host they used (photobucket) decided to blackmail their clients into an attempt to extort not inconsiderable sums of money from them to remain in what had until then been a free to use service.

Like just about everyone else; I declined to give in to that but had the excruciating experience of seeing years of painstaking work destroyed ~ it's not the fault of TFF who quite rightly have metaphorically (in line with most of their other clients) told photobucket where to go and what to do with themselves!

To a point, I have individually restored a very small percentage of removed images on BTPIR; but it's a quite frankly obsessive choice and not one that I pursue with any regularity.

We now use flickr, and a far superior service it is too!
Anyone

How do I post pictures on here anyone ??
Do I need to use Flickr? Any other way?

Thank you
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

merse btpir wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 23:34 The kit supplier was Pilgrim Sports from Plymouth introduced by Mike Green..,.......their logo on our shirts got the hackles up for many fans and (to be honest) the product wasn't the best quality. It was replaced after one season by a deal with Bukta of Stockport who were part of the Umbro family who had supplied the iconic 'Skalectric' design. Coastline came in after me when David Webb was in charge.

[highlight=yellow]Dan McCauley is a very different character than popular myth paints him. Had also been chairman of Tiverton Town and on the board of Exeter City [/highlight]so obviously he loved football for what it was at whatever level........I'm alright with people like that. According to the Times list of wealthy people, he had a fortune larger than the chairmen of Arsenal, Aston Villa and Chelsea and of course owned Drakes Island as well. I only really 'knew' him as an extremely wealthy visitor to the boardroom during Saturday night matches along with several other perceived 'rivals' (but in reality very well meaning and helpful friends of the club) like Argyle's Robert Daniel, and Stafford & Brian Williams and Gerald Vallance the Exeter City chairman who were all regulars.

That little boardroom was run like a personal fiefdom by Club Steward Ben Street who fiercely guarded his authority in there and I rarely disturbed his routine on a match night unless he came looking for something like replenishments for the bar! But one by one most of those guests would filter down to the 200 Club for a 'late one' and more often than not I was locking up in the early hours of the morning....Malcolm Allison would be a particularly late stayer ~ what a legend ~ and Barry Silkman too; remember he was a player for Malcolm at Plymouth and later a very successful agent who I bumped into last year playing vets' football!

Tony Boyce's financial commitment was out of all proportion to anyone else's but on many occasions the board members were asked to 'get their cheque books out'.
Looks like he was a director from my 1987 Crewe programme
20171109_00002_001.jpg
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

An honourary life membership is not a seat on the board and therefore Tony was no longer a director by then
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

No merse I meant dan mccauley. Looks as those he was a director.. .sorry this chat should be on the history bit
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I see where you're coming from now; yes MacCAuley was as was Robert Daniel; whilst the majority of the old board were accorded honorary life membership.

McCauley was so wealthy he could have bought the club out of his pocket money but it was not to be and eventually it was to end up the property of another very autocratic man; Mike Bateson. Wealthy himself; but not in McCauley's league!

Daniel was very wealthy too; having made his money from his cash & carry in Millbay Docks and some of the burgeoning number of supermarkets that are now the domain of the Tescos etc of this world that were springing up around Devon. He was a shrewd wheeler-dealer but I always recall the story I heard Malcom Allison tell of how he managed to successfully lie to him that Tony Book was only 25 and not the 30 he actually was when getting the money out of him to sign the outstanding non league player of the day from Bath City.......Daniel had the last laugh though; selling him to Manchester City by then managed by Allison but insisting because the player was 'actually five years younger than his public age' City had to pay a good bit more for him than they initially offered.

Daniel was an FA councillor too and used that position to secure a number of internationals for Home Park and the FA convention for Torbay. He used to love the drive over the moors from his Roborough home in his Roller for Saturday evening games and it was Tony Boyce who persuaded them both to join the board.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Interesting merse. Perhaps this needs to be moved to history thread admin people. I've got some stuff to upload tomorrow to history thread so keep eyes out people. Just some snippets out of some old newspapers I've had my dad post me up from his loft !! Got a nice little bit from 1989 with Eric Webber and don mills wishing torquay well at Wembley in sherpa van.
Great reading merse. It's a wonder why mccauley never did buy us , that board was worth a a few quid.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Jacko55 wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 10:14 COASTLINE was owned by my brother Keith Jackman. He was from Brixham and his small factory was based in Winner St Paignton. He was well chuffed when the lads ran out at Wembley in the Sherpa Van trophy v Bolton wearing the special kit he made!
And here is the advertisement
Attachments
PhotoTrimmer_10-11-2017-8-44-18.jpg
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

hector wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 04:49 Coastline didn’t come until the season of Cyril Knowles.

Dave Webb used a company called OSCA for the infamous ‘Chelsea’ Kit, which was a
Blue version of the red OSCA Kit A.F.C. Bournemouth had when Webb was there.

[highlight=yellow]The yellow kit that we had when Webb left was initially produced by Henson during the “Real Great Escape” year of 87 to then be - exact same design - produced by Coastline who were a tiny operation based in Paignton.[/highlight]

They provided our kits for the next two seasons before we became a little more professional and had Ribero in 90/91.
Couldn't help but be curious why a 2nd kit manufacturer would use an identical kit design. Well indeed it's seems they were the same company in someway shape or form.
Attachments
PhotoTrimmer_10-11-2017-9-3-42.jpg