Torquay v Hartlepool 28/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Torquay v Hartlepool 28/10/17

Post by lucy6lucy »

After 2 difficult away fixtures at Halifax and ebbsfleet we return to Torquay on Saturday with a very creditable 4 point return. The points are priceless, but even more is the performances in these 2 games. We now look competitive, energetic and above all look like a team on the up.
Hartlepool will be no mugs, they will be looking at this fixture against us as winnable. we just have to do the basics we have seen recently and we can make life difficult for them. My prediction is 2-1 Hartlepool. But I hope I'm wrong.
Lucy
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Although this fixture looks winnable on paper, my concern is how we deal with the 3-game week this time around.

Last time we were in this situation, we played a high energy game at Dagenham that unfortunately didn’t yield what it deserved; a high energy game against Maidenhead that laid the foundations for the first win; but then produced what was described as a very flat and poor performance against a very good Dover side. At the time, I put that down to the players fitness levels not being able to withstand the level of performance and workload required by GO at the time.

Fast forward, what, 4 weeks? So we’ve come off the back of two strong, committed performances on the road. Has the fitness improved to such an extent that we can do it all again for a third time in a week now? Hartlepool are on good form and look to be tough to break down.

We need a win to keep on the 50 point target. Fingers will be well and truly crossed
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Looking for another 4 points from the next two home games which would be a good return
but tomorrow could be a 1-1 draw, we must not lose
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

I'm looking forward to listening to this one on the interweb while chatting with the other exiles on Mervo's old site www.torquayunited.net

I don't think we will see the foot come off the gas as we did against Dover. That lesson should have been learned. We have some useful benchsitters in need of game time who can keep the pace up when needed. I still think Hartlepool will be a tough nut to crack so a clean sheet is a priority. If we can nick one, ride a bit of luck that we are due and keep them out we are capable of all 3 points. I'm going for 0-0 or 1-0 to the good guys with a 2000 plus att.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

desperado wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 08:07 Looking for another 4 points from the next two home games which would be a good return
but tomorrow could be a 1-1 draw, we must not lose
Exactly right ! I said we needed 7 points from 9 before the Ebsfleet game or we would be deep in the shit. I got slated for suggesting that those next 3 games were so important but we all know that with the Fa cup week looming we would have been in a perilous position going into December without them.
The rot has been stopped and I feel That tommorow is our best chance of 3 points on the back of the midweek win.
COYY !!!!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 09:27 I said we needed 7 points from 9 before the Ebsfleet game or we would be deep in the shit. I got slated for suggesting that.......
You got slated on two fronts for saying: "A point is not worth getting out of bed for......we need 7 from 9 points in our next three games or we are not coming back from this."

That point (at Halifax) was certainly worth getting out of bed for and no team gets into any situation it can't come back from in October!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I'm going for a win!! Thus:

TUFC (0) 2
Hartlepool United (0) 1

At: 2361.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Confidence should be on the up after the last two games, Reid to get his third in 3, Murphy to actually do something noteworthy, McQuoid to warrant a future starting place....

United 4 Hartlepool 1

Att: 2,222
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Looking at Murphy when he came off injured on Tuesday; I wouldn't expect him to be fit for tomorrow.

McQuoid further forward in his place, the same for Young; and Dowling to come in to the staring line-up to play near Evans would be my guess.
nwyellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by nwyellow »

I am going
Torquay United (1) 2
Hartlepool United (0) 1

I do feel we have options at the moment for both formation and personnel, so being positive, the players seemed to realise what winning meant to everyone on Tuesday

COYY
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Very optimistic with the crowd Wivel and with the score United62 ! Hope you are both right though
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Optimistic 1 nil win. Reid with another goal. Att: 1900
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

merse btpir wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 10:32 You got slated on two fronts for saying: "A point is not worth getting out of bed for......we need 7 from 9 points in our next three games or we are not coming back from this."

That point (at Halifax) was certainly worth getting out of bed for and no team gets into any situation it can't come back from in October!
That point at Halifax was worth getting out of bed for. A point can be disappointing if you throw away a 2 nil lead or play rubbish for a 0-0 draw. But to play with desire and belief and to go a goal down to carrying on playing the right way to get a well deserved equaliser. This was a catalyst to take that belief to the next game which we won. I know it's a results business but signs at Halifax were now we are playing and doing the right things right. Simple passing , movement and keeping possession are fundamental. Before from what I seen was a team with no shape , no game plan and players clearly having no instruction on how to play . No doubt there will be more trying times this year but if this management stamp this new professionalism on this squad we will climb this table.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

merse btpir wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 10:32 You got slated on two fronts for saying: "A point is not worth getting out of bed for......we need 7 from 9 points in our next three games or we are not coming back from this."

pn two fronts . Wow !
It made me smile reading this as like you Im thiscl skinned and couldn't give a flying .., what you think anyway.
Torquay to win 2 -1 with Reid and Murphy to notch .
Att 2078.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

But Murphy isn't likely to be playing!